Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do you believe The Bible 100%?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 05 May 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Anybody who believes that they should live their life by a fact-less, base-less book should immediately consult a professional for a psychiatric evaluation.

I am happy, educated and do much good to help many people at the food banks, shelters and many other things. I need an evaluation because of my religion and beliefs. Why?

Robbie James

#32    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,449 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think more people follow the Twilight series and MTV as 100% real than the Bible anymore......( 100% )

Ok, I follow it 0% ....

My parents follow it 100%, and so do the members of their Church as far as I can see.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#33    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostJ. K., on 08 May 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

And yet many of us Christians are employed in professional fields.  I guess that must be uncomfortable for some of you?

I am a CRNP with a graduate degree, served my country for 26 years, raised a family, paid for my home, own additional property, give many hours to food banks and shelters. I guess I am not bright enough to form my own opinion and beliefs. Hmmmm, I need to regroup  since I have done so bad in life. Alienated Being, what have you done to judge so much? Huh?

Robbie James

#34    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,449 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 05 May 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Anybody who believes that they should live their life by a fact-less, base-less book should immediately consult a professional for a psychiatric evaluation.

Damn dude......

I do not believe the Bible one bit, let's say 0% .....

But, I will be the first to say, the Bible, the Quran, and other religious books all have very good values that all of us should live by..........The world would be a better place if people followed a lot of what was written as fact, even if it is fiction..........

So yes, people should live their lives that way.....Sorry, I think your statement was nuts :)

Edited by Sakari, 08 May 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#35    Robbie333

Robbie333

• 2,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostSakari, on 08 May 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Damn dude......

I do not believe the Bible one bit, let's say 0% .....

But, I will be the first to say, the Bible, the Quran, and other religious books all have very good values that all of us should live by..........The world would be a better place if people followed a lot of what was written as fact, even if it is fiction..........

So yes, people should live their lives that way.....Sorry, I think your statement was nuts :)

I no we don't seem to agree in here much, you and me but I always give credit when it is due. Your opinion even though you do not believe the Bible as I do, that it has much to learn from is appreciated and shows me you are a thinker and good person. Have a good day.

Robbie James

#36    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

So where have we heard this story before? Recall especially the detail of the man from somewhere else who offers his virgin daughter and a second woman in order to avoid violating the sacred duty of hospitality. Genesis 19: 4ff. Sodom. Lot offers his two virgin daughters.
that's what sprang to my mind..
food for thought, thanks..

The world would be a better place if people followed a lot of what was written as fact, even if it is fiction
...can't argue with that?
but how does something that purports truth get by on these kinds of myths? ..even if they are beneficial?

it's not that i want the bible to be untrue.. rather the opposite(?) i wish there was a guy called jesus, who loves us.. it would kinda make all this **** worth going through, you know what i mean?

it's difficult to square all this up, it's like the case for reincarnation in the bible, where according to the bible a person lives one life only.. but.. it purports a heaven (and an eternal existance) so there is a case for existance beyond this life, more so; according to christ "if you could see what you were before you came to be, you would endure everything" / "before you were fashioned in the womb, i knew you" (purporting an existance before this life) and obscure references "...being a good soul, i came into a good body..." (amongst others)

...more than meets the eye?

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#37    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,937 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Postunit, on 08 May 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

that's what sprang to my mind..
food for thought, thanks..

...can't argue with that?
but how does something that purports truth get by on these kinds of myths? ..even if they are beneficial?

it's not that i want the bible to be untrue.. rather the opposite(?) i wish there was a guy called jesus, who loves us.. it would kinda make all this **** worth going through, you know what i mean?

it's difficult to square all this up, it's like the case for reincarnation in the bible, where according to the bible a person lives one life only.. but.. it purports a heaven (and an eternal existance) so there is a case for existance beyond this life, more so; according to christ "if you could see what you were before you came to be, you would endure everything" / "before you were fashioned in the womb, i knew you" (purporting an existance before this life) and obscure references "...being a good soul, i came into a good body..." (amongst others)

...more than meets the eye?
I think you're mixing up God's omniscience with the idea of reincarnation.  If you look at the context of the passages you quoted you will see it's addressing the idea that God knows everything.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#38    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

yeah i know, there's a way that seems right but in the end leads to death..
[yawn]

thanks anyway..

[edit]
i wouldn't want you to think i'm just being sarcastic..

so... God knows everything.. and i'm being told "if i could see myself before i came to be, then i'd put up with this ****" (paraphrased)

so .... God / Jesus was implying life before this life...

..and i'm still wrong?

don't crap out on me, i still seek morality and truth... but obviously i need it spoon fed into me..

hmmm.... heaven help us..

Edited by unit, 08 May 2012 - 09:44 PM.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#39    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,937 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

View Postunit, on 08 May 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

hmmm.... heaven help us..
Indeed.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#40    Copen

Copen

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostKarlis, on 07 May 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

Hi Copen -- just a short note to point out that whoever you are quoting is wrongly translating the above Scripture. Hebrews 6:18 does not state "everything twice". Instead Heb 6:18 reads, "... by two immutable things, ... ".

"Immutable" means unchanging. IOW, that Scripture says that God’s oath, and God's promise, were unchangeable and unbreakable. With that in mind, read the full context of the verse you quoted:

Heb 6:13  For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
Heb 6:14  Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
Heb 6:15  And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
Heb 6:16  For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
Heb 6:17  Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
Heb 6:18  That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: ...

Regards,
Karlis

Thank you Karlis,
I have gotten careless. I should not have put that in quotation marks. To me it is saying the same thing, though.

Paraphrase -- Hebrews 6: 13-18 God made promise to Abraham. He swore by Himself because He could not swear by anything higher. Men when they swear, swear by something greater and it is the end. (Some may swear by their mother's grave or the Bible or their gun.) And that's the end of the swear because they cannot swear by anything greater. Wherein God willing to show to the heirs of promise (children of God are heirs of promise) the unchangeability of His counsel confirmed by an OATH. And that oath is: that by two (2) unchangeable THINGS we (Christians) might have a strong consolation. What are the THINGS of God's OATH? Things He has given in the Bible twice (2) for our strong consolation.

You want a strong consolation about any spiritual point so that it is the end of the matter? If you can find the THINGS twice in the Bible you have proof. The virgin birth? It's there twice. An animal being able to talk? It's in there twice. The Virgin Mary going to heaven without dying? Wrong --- There are been two (Enoch & Elijah) who ascended into heaven without dying. Therefore, these two are the witnesses of Revelation who will lie dead in the street of Jerusalem someday. "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God ..." "All must die."

Peter was given keys to unlock and lock things in heaven and on earth. Two THINGS (or twice) for a strong consolation is surely one of those keys.

I appreciate the conversation, though. Thank you.
God bless us all is my prayer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users