Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Challenge

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#136    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,341 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

View Postcharmcph33, on 14 May 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

Ok ...this is the end for me....don't need to be crapped on by anyone...
yes I asked for it....by doing this challenge....

but I'm done ...
Charm (and anyone else who has been brave enough to have a go), may I offer you a bit of an olive branch (from a direction you probably wouldn't have expected..!) - I greatly appreciate and respect your willingness to have a go at this, and take the 'results' on the chin.  May I suggest that you don't take it all too seriously or to heart.  For even from a vaguely scientific point of view :), trying to do a 'reading' over such an impersonal and anonymising media as the Interwebz is pretty ridiculous when you think about it..

And please note that I do NOT 100% dismiss the possibility that such things could be possible - in fact I'd love it if there were such abilities, and there was one incident relating to my own family that still gives me something to think about .. (a story for another time..)

I don't want you or other 'readers' to stop what you are doing (ie reading face to face).. but I would ask you to be careful, realistic, not give false hopes or fears (and preferably not charge.. :D)

You might be wondering why do I think you shouldn't stop?  Simply because.. as long as those provisos apply then the simple fact is that you are conversing with someone who probably wants to discuss themselves and their situation and look for insights.  That is most likely going to helpful to them, and possibly you too.

And all that applies even in the 'worst' scenario, namely that all you might be doing may simply be cold-reading (even if it is not deliberate)..  Because cold-reading is in some ways a very useful skill - being able to read people's expressions, listen really carefully, be encouraging, look for body language, etc..

Anyway, do carry on - I hope all that didn't make it worse..!

Edited by Chrlzs, 15 May 2012 - 10:12 AM.

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#137    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostBeany, on 15 May 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

OK, got that, and accept it. Do you think that is generally true of all or most of the research being done in this field. And do you have any thought about the rest of my post? As a reader, though I don't do many, these kinds of conversations are helpful to me.

For the most part yes, most of the major research was done between the 60's and 80's a huge volume of work found no real data, there were some that did, but these were all found to have procedural issues or on some occasions blatant fraud. By the time all the major scientific work had ceased, there had been 3 decades of heavy research with no results found.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#138    Rick Waid

Rick Waid

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

If  we can make another happy over one thing that hits. It still can be a positive experience for both parties.

Edited by sensitive touch, 15 May 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#139    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 15 May 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Charm (and anyone else who has been brave enough to have a go), may I offer you a bit of an olive branch (from a direction you probably wouldn't have expected..!) - I greatly appreciate and respect your willingness to have a go at this, and take the 'results' on the chin.  May I suggest that you don't take it all too seriously or to heart.  For even from a vaguely scientific point of view :), trying to do a 'reading' over such an impersonal and anonymising media as the Interwebz is pretty ridiculous when you think about it..

And please note that I do NOT 100% dismiss the possibility that such things could be possible - in fact I'd love it if there were such abilities, and there was one incident relating to my own family that still gives me something to think about .. (a story for another time..)

I don't want you or other 'readers' to stop what you are doing (ie reading face to face).. but I would ask you to be careful, realistic, not give false hopes or fears (and preferably not charge.. :D)

You might be wondering why do I think you shouldn't stop?  Simply because.. as long as those provisos apply then the simple fact is that you are conversing with someone who probably wants to discuss themselves and their situation and look for insights.  That is most likely going to helpful to them, and possibly you too.

And all that applies even in the 'worst' scenario, namely that all you might be doing may simply be cold-reading (even if it is not deliberate)..  Because cold-reading is in some ways a very useful skill - being able to read people's expressions, listen really carefully, be encouraging, look for body language, etc..

Anyway, do carry on - I hope all that didn't make it worse..!

What a lovely response. Yes, as a reader, I think one of the most valuable things we can provide is a time/space where people can talk about what's troubling them with someone who has nothing emotionally invested, and who can often see the issues from a different perspective. If we're very lucky we can play a small role in someone's healing journey. The psychic stuff can often help us identify the issues or people involved, or specific traumas, but it is a means, not an end. Just being present in a loving, non-judgemental way, whether one is psychic or not, is important.

#140    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 5,137 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postcharmcph33, on 14 May 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Ok...like I said that wasn't truely a read for you...just examples..
but now I understand...

not getting nothing from you or for you
yelp your right....completely!!

and on with both our lives!!
sorry I couldn't perform for you
Ah, well... Apparently nature gave me quite a powerful firewall... My brain not accessible to "readers", despite all efforts of yours (and mine, for that matter)...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot... Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

I'm dead drunk and heave' hanging upside down... (good ol' AC/DC).

#141    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 5,137 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postsensitive touch, on 15 May 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

If  we can make another happy over one thing that hits. It still can be a positive experience for both parties.
Right, if it can't be done without making stuff up, deception, and - I'll be blunt here - lies.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot... Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#142    Rick Waid

Rick Waid

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Shame on you. I myself and the people I know do not lie. There is no reason to lie. It is so ridiculous that you would think that. You can call it what you what but we do not lie we say what we hear and see and it is sad you have to have the attitude you presenting here.

#143    Rick Waid

Rick Waid

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

I left before all this negativity towards readings. This is almost the same as bullying people. You do not know who I am so how can you judge and say what I do is lieing, I would never put down a person if I  really do not know them. I do not know you or your job, but we are called all these bad things. Sad for you get so angry.

Edited by sensitive touch, 16 May 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#144    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,341 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Postsensitive touch, on 16 May 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

I left before all this negativity towards readings. This is almost the same as bullying people. You do not know who I am so how can you judge and say what I do is lieing, I would never put down a person if I  really do not know them. I do not know you or your job, but we are called all these bad things. Sad for you get so angry.

Just one post would have sufficed..

ST, may I strongly suggest that you re-read that post you are so upset about, take out your emotive response and your belief that it applied to you or someone in this thread.  When I read it, I took it to mean that he agreed as long as the readings were done without deceit.

Let's be brutally honest here - there ARE some people who falsely take advantage of others and claim paranormal powers, when in fact they are deliberately using cold-reading techniques, even hidden microphones/earpieces and assistants who have (sometimes quite illegally) gathered information about their 'victims'.

So there are liars and cheats out there.  Now had someone here called you that directly, then you would have a right to complain (if you didn't lie).  But in this case I think you just took that comment way too personally.  Anyway, just my 2c.. maybe bmk may wish to clarify things..

Anyway, you should be reporting it to the mods, not whining on thread.  :P

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#145    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 5,137 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

View Postsensitive touch, on 16 May 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Shame on you. I myself and the people I know do not lie. There is no reason to lie. It is so ridiculous that you would think that. You can call it what you what but we do not lie we say what we hear and see and it is sad you have to have the attitude you presenting here.
Sorry, for being blunt, but in my dictionary self-deception "I have powers" is very close to "Lie" (many will disagree with me here). But if you genuinely have "reading powers", you can easily do what I asked charm for, not just throwing whatever random image your brain generates. That can be done by anyone. I can imagine and then throw "I see a man walking on the sea shore looking for amber". Heck that would fit almost every person in my country. Voilá - I have powers.

runs off, looking for place to open "Real reader" atelier

#146    Rick Waid

Rick Waid

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Guess what it does not fit me. Plus your are one I will be reading. After I read you then bring it on. And until I work out my issues I will give you more than you would ever think.

Edited by sensitive touch, 16 May 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#147    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 5,137 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

View Postsensitive touch, on 16 May 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Guess what it does not fit me. Plus your are one I will be reading. After I read you then bring it on. And until I work out my issues I will give you more than you would ever think.
We'll see what you are capable of.

#148    Rick Waid

Rick Waid

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thank you.

#149    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Anyone want to read my past live/s while we're here? No bashing. Skeptics welcome, but don't be hurtful.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users