Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humans must find new planets to survive

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,363 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Finding planets outside our solar system that can sustain life should be made a top priority, say Australian astronomers.

Understanding habitability and using that knowledge to locate the nearest habitable planet may be crucial for our survival as a species, writes Dr Charley Lineweaver and PhD student Aditya Chopra of the Australian National University in the Annual Reviews of Earth and Planetary Sciences.

Lineweaver and Chopra reviewed current research examining environments where life is found on Earth and the environments thought to exist on other planets.

Since the first discovery of a planet orbiting another star was made in 1995, the number of exoplanets has skyrocketed to more than 750. While a small handful of these planets are known to be 'Earth-like', astronomers are a long way from knowing whether they can sustain life.

"Determining whether these planets are habitable has become the new holy grail of astronomy," says Lineweaver. "It's probably one of the biggest, most confusing, and important issues that planetary scientists are going to have to deal with in the next 10 to 20 years."

http://www.abc.net.a.../27/3490608.htm

Posted Image

#2    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

They can keep looking around outside.

I'll keep looking inside.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#3    hooko22

hooko22

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 06 May 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Imagine if we had used the same money we used for warfare the last ten years or so. You and me would have beemed to work startrek style! ;)

But yea i completely agree we need to start thinking more about space exploration!

Posted Image

#4    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think this is true, but I also think people underestimate the sustainability of earth. Look at how many people occupy the relatively small geographic space of large cities. If you lived in a small or average sized city, how much space could you free up for farming or drilling or some other resource if everyone sold off their one-level ranch homes and surrounding land and instead packed into a couple of high-rise buildings. I don't believe this this would likely happen soon, but if it were matter of survival people would do so. I think the time that we have before the Earth becomes truly unsustainable is so much longer than anyone could imagine, that we will probably have the ability to colonize other planets long long before we could ever need that option just to survive.

#5    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

We will Eventually.... We just need to exploit this planet further and wait for some sort of major earth disaster or catastrophe. Seems to me that we need the world to UNITE!

Edited by 95-Nasty, 06 May 2012 - 03:08 PM.

The gods you worship are steel, at the alter of Rock 'n Roll youl kneel.

Long live, long live the King of Mercy.

#6    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Im not saying we shouldnt be looking for other planets to live on, but theres so much we can do in the mean time. we should try building underwater civilizations in the sea, conquer nature and thrive in the most inhospitable places on the earth. As for space, lets build orbiting civilizations and try to inhabit the moon. These are all tempory solutions that will have alot of difficulties in suceeding, but once we accomplish all this, we will have learnt so much more about foreign enviroments.  Why should we think about running before we can walk.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#7    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 06 May 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Im not saying we shouldnt be looking for other planets to live on, but theres so much we can do in the mean time. we should try building underwater civilizations in the sea, conquer nature and thrive in the most inhospitable places on the earth. As for space, lets build orbiting civilizations and try to inhabit the moon. These are all tempory solutions that will have alot of difficulties in suceeding, but once we accomplish all this, we will have learnt so much more about foreign enviroments.  Why should we think about running before we can walk.

Yeah. It seems a childish way to think.

"Well, we've pretty much botched this planet. Well, don't we feel silly. Hey, let's find a new one."

Expecting the events on the new planet to end up any differently. It would seem the most fitting and correct thing to do to do the best to fix our problems here, than to toss our hands up and move.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#8    hooko22

hooko22

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

View Post_Only, on 06 May 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Yeah. It seems a childish way to think.

"Well, we've pretty much botched this planet. Well, don't we feel silly. Hey, let's find a new one."

Expecting the events on the new planet to end up any differently. It would seem the most fitting and correct thing to do to do the best to fix our problems here, than to toss our hands up and move.

Well it is long time thinking as well. If we want to survive as a species we have to keep in mind that our sun will not last forever. Obviously it will be millions of years before it goes out but we have to find a new place before that time arrives.

Posted Image

#9    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I agree we must find a new planet to survive, but i cant see that happening until we put all pull together and unite as a 'world' and not just as a nation! But, then what? Wel exploit that planet, war with our neighbours etc... It will be earth all over again.... Then wel be saying 'We need to find another plant to survive' and on and on and on..... Etc! Will we ever learn? Or are we just a Parasite feeding on our host?

Edited by 95-Nasty, 06 May 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,751 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Well duh, we are about to burn this one up..so I guess we need a new one..to burn up too

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,449 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

I find it funny.........Let's not fix the problem, let's just spread the fricken' disease........

When will anyone important enough get it?

Where is the plague, or the giant meteor........It is soooooooooo over due.

Edited by Sakari, 06 May 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#12    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 5,505 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Here's an interesting, but lengthy, article on Earth's population, sustainability and Carrying Capacity:
http://dieoff.org/page112.htm

I'm sure we will discover an Earth-like planet in the near future, but how do we get there, and how many of us would be able to make the voyage? Not many, I would think. I don't think this is the answer to the overpopulation of our planet.

It may be an answer to the continuation of the human race, but what about all of us who must remain behind? I think solving the problem of the sustainability of the population on the Earth is more important than the future possibility of traveling to other planets.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 06 May 2012 - 05:46 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#13    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

I wonder... if we moved to another planet, how would the horoscope systems act there... this would be extremely interesting in terms of astrology.

That aside, I think that as soon as humanity as a whole realises that it's all about first individual effort and then combined effort, not vice versa, we'll become more able to deal with our problems and old wounds of lifetimes of bad karma will be healed. I'm not saying we shouldn't support one another, but we should observe how our support affects supported person's ability to stand on one's own feet.

I think continuation of human race is more important than survival of as many as possible. We are overpopulated anyways, and everyone will anyways experience death. From the perspective "there's no next life" it shouldn't matter anyways, nor from perspective "we can move our spirits over planetary boundaries". It should only matter if our solar system is destroyed by sun's death and our spirits remain 'prisoned' in this then-dead planet's remains instead of going to another realm.

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#14    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

If we do move on to other planets we'l destroy them, use them up and move on... Humanity is a Plague a Disease a Cancer!

#15    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

View Post95-Nasty, on 06 May 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Or are we just a Parasite feeding on our host?

Oh, crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users