Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist jailed for posting on Facebook -

atheist facebook jailed indonesia

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Alexander Aan, an Indonesian civil servant who is currently in custody and facing an 11-year prison sentence for expressing his atheism on Facebook.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/05/indonesian-atheist-faces-long-jail.html

"If you are not a religious person, you might be dangerous to others, behaving without control and doing anything you like. Religion brings order. You cannot be an individualist."

Like when the Muslims bombed Bali? Twice.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,396 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

"You cannot be an individualist" - who get's to say something like that with a straight face these days?  Oh wait, that's right PSYCHOS, grrrr.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,926 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Read in the article he got attacked by a mob, as well.

Aan is the first atheist to be tried for breaching this aspect of the Pancasila and, as the Guardian reports, his case has led to calls for his execution by hardline Islamists, and he was badly beaten while in custody by a mob who learned of the charges he is facing.

I'm not an Atheist, but even I know this is all wrong. Humanity is turning into uncivilized A-holes.

NOT GOOD!

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,943 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

We've always been uncivilized a-holes. We just like to think otherwise 99% of the time.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,926 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 08 May 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

We've always been uncivilized a-holes. We just like to think otherwise 99% of the time.

Agreed and good point. Just seems like since the population has increased worldwide, it's gotten worse. Either that or the news media brings it to our attention more often than they use to do. Not saying they shouldn't, by the way, just can't figure out which is most likely the case. Maybe both?

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#6    catfishyeah

catfishyeah

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• All begin, and end with nothing.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

*sigh* I hate looking at things through religion. It's so hipocritical.

Nothing has changed, or ever will change. So we must change it.

#7    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I just find it crazy that the Indonesian Government says they have 'freedom of religion' but only as long as they adhere to Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Confucianism or Hinduism.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

".......his case has led to calls for his execution by hardline Islamists"

Would that be the same Islam that calls itself the 'Religion of Peace' and whose Holy Book forbids the taking of life?

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,377 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 May 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Would that be the same Islam that calls itself the 'Religion of Peace' and whose Holy Book forbids the taking of life?
One and the VERY same......

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#10    Shosanna Dreyfus

Shosanna Dreyfus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• "My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and THIS is the face... of Jewish vengeance!"

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 May 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

View Postand then, on 08 May 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

One and the VERY same......

Oui and the same one that has followers get up in arms and want to see a middle aged school teacher flogged (and probably beheaded) because of the name a class of children gave to a teddy bear!  I have nothing against people having their own quiet beliefs but religious extremists ruin it for everyone with behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

"My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and THIS is the face... of Jewish vengeance!"
Shosanna will return in... Shosanna Kills... Shosanna Kills Again and... The Dreyfus Knight Rises!
Bridget Von Hammersmark will return in... The World Is Not Enough and... Quantum Of S.P.A.R.T.A.
Villain:  "Shosanna just sent me a text message!  It says I just *beep*ed with the wrong French girl!"

#11    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,319 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Religion is a tool to control masses of people to do the bidding of those who have the power of word over them, thus leads to stuff like this. I want nothing to do with religion if it will bring harm and death to those who want to express their individuality. To me religion is a medieval concept that has survived for far to long...

Edited by Uncle Sam, 20 May 2012 - 05:58 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#12    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,789 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostUncle Sam, on 20 May 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

Religion is a tool to control masses of people to do the bidding of those who have the power of word over them, thus leads to stuff like this. I want nothing to do with religion if it will bring harm and death to those who want to express their individuality. To me religion is a medieval concept that has survived for far to long...

I agree.  At this point in time, the world would probably be better off without religion.  An individual can benefit from religious beliefs, but society as a whole suffers from them.

#13    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

wow thats harsh. jailed just by saying 3 words

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#14    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

If this judge is saying religion brings order, is he not saying also that God does not need to exist, he is a convenience to control your unruly lot?

So shouldn't the judge also be on trial?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

View PostPurifier, on 08 May 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Agreed and good point. Just seems like since the population has increased worldwide, it's gotten worse. Either that or the news media brings it to our attention more often than they use to do. Not saying they shouldn't, by the way, just can't figure out which is most likely the case. Maybe both?
Actually continual studies show that the rates of violence have steadily decreased as we move from historical and pre-historical times, even counting the wars of the last couple of centuries. Now this is talking percentage wise related to population, you do have some increase due to population.
  Steven Pinker has a good book on this, actually.
Unfortunately, violence is a really cheap news story so we certainly hear about it more.

As for those decrying the evil of Islam, itself, remember that one of the most famous evil men was a proud Christian. The fault does not rest on the religion, though the religion can provide the needed excuses.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

Also tagged with atheist, facebook, jailed, indonesia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users