Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist jailed for posting on Facebook -

atheist facebook jailed indonesia

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

the hell is wrong with people?????! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17    bulveye

bulveye

Poltergeist

• 2,301 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostDKO, on 08 May 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Alexander Aan, an Indonesian civil servant who is currently in custody and facing an 11-year prison sentence for expressing his atheism on Facebook.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/05/indonesian-atheist-faces-long-jail.html

Like when the Muslims bombed Bali? Twice.

Or the Crusades!

Julian: "You're prostituting yourself out for cheeseburgers again, aren't you?"
Randy: "A man's gotta eat, Julian."      ~ Trailer Park Boys

#18    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,803 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Here's a updated and longer version of the situation.

http://www.guardian....ous-freedom-aan

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#19    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

:whistle: :su Hmmmmm perhaps they should do that here....put atheist in prison.  Things would be a lot more quiet around the web.....it would be nice if Dawkins could be put in solitary, away from any kind of communication....ahhh that would be heaven......well I don't believe in heaven but it could start here.

Ok just joking........I don't hate atheist as much as I pretend to, but I don't like them very much either....well maybe one or two, the rest are just angry about everything.....just my experience so I am sure there are a few out there who are decent, normal human beings :tsu: ......just a few though :yes: .  As long as they stay out of politcs, then let them be.....can't imagine how an atheist could represent normal people....the ones I know seem to have aspergers pretty bad :alien: .....which I have heard afflics many....than anwers a lot of questions why so many of them whine so much :cry:  when they are not angry <_< .  Well most of them are liberals after all.  Actually, fundie believer and village atheist dance together a lot......yawn!!!! boring....I know I am boring as well, get over it ;-).

Actually I could be joking about the above, or not, you decide :mellow: :unsure: :blink: :angry: .

Edited by dougeaton, 21 May 2012 - 12:17 PM.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#20    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostPurifier, on 08 May 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Read in the article he got attacked by a mob, as well.

I'm not an Atheist, but even I know this is all wrong. Humanity is turning into uncivilized A-holes.

NOT GOOD!

Different culture, different way of life.

#21    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 21 May 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

All joking aside, he should have known better.  In the USA and other secular countries we can say what we want and no problem, but if I lived in a country that is tightly controlled, well I would be very careful....on facebook....kind of dumb....but I am sorry for him actually.  People should have freedom to believe what they want, or percieve to be true, you can't control anyone....what is the saying, you can't herd cats or people.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#22    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

View Postdougeaton, on 21 May 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

All joking aside, he should have known better.  In the USA and other secular countries we can say what we want and no problem, but if I lived in a country that is tightly controlled, well I would be very careful....on facebook....kind of dumb....but I am sorry for him actually.  People should have freedom to believe what they want, or percieve to be true, you can't control anyone....what is the saying, you can't herd cats or people.

doug

Every nation has its own laws and culture which its citizens need to follow. If the guy breaks the laws or social norms in his country (as he has) he deserves what he gets.

If I live in England and drive up the motorway at 120 kph, go into a gay bar wearing a sign saying 'I hate gays' or decide to have a 15 year old girlfriend I expect to get arrested. I cant use the speed limits on the Autobahn, the age of consent in Spain or the anti-homosexuality polices of Iran as a defence. Claiming my freedom is being violated in such cases is nonsense.

Its also wrong for a German, Spanish or Iranian citizen to criticise the laws in England.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 21 May 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#23    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,776 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 21 May 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Actually continual studies show that the rates of violence have steadily decreased as we move from historical and pre-historical times, even counting the wars of the last couple of centuries. Now this is talking percentage wise related to population, you do have some increase due to population.
  Steven Pinker has a good book on this, actually.
Unfortunately, violence is a really cheap news story so we certainly hear about it more.

This (your words in bold) seems to be the most plausible reason to me. But on the other hand, it would make sense that as the population increases you get a little more rise in violent activity. Human nature I guess.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#24    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,776 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 21 May 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

True! But I was speaking in a moral sense, in reference to the golden rule.

- Confucius

#25    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostPurifier, on 21 May 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

True! But I was speaking in a moral sense, in reference to the golden rule.

But its according to your ideas about morality not that of the nation in question.

#26    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,776 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 21 May 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

But its according to your ideas about morality not that of the nation in question.

Not sure what your trying to do here, turn this into a philosophical debate or really a political debate. Either way, I'm sorry, I just don't have the time to devote to that right now, but maybe later. Plus...you might get better results in one of the other forum sections, like: U.S.A. -->U.S. Politics. If you were to start a thread about this particular subject in that forum section.

Anyway, just a suggestion for ya.

Cheers
Mr Right Wing

- Confucius

#27    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostPurifier, on 21 May 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Not sure what your trying to do here, turn this into a philosophical debate or really a political debate. Either way, I'm sorry, I just don't have the time to devote to that right now, but maybe later. Plus...you might get better results in one of the other forum sections, like: U.S.A. -->U.S. Politics. If you were to start a thread about this particular subject in that forum section.

America is not a perfect country

It is riddled with financial corruption, political corruption, human rights violations, social problems, inequalities, etc. It might not be apparent to you as you watch a tramp eating out of a bin or underage girl pushing a pram down the street that America has problems but dont expect people in other countries to blind themselves to the flaws of Liberal Democracy.

People are not perfect

Perfect people can live in a free society without causing problems. However in reality there are a lot of people out there riddled with corruption, greed, deviant behaviour, irresponsibility, narcissism, etc. Thats why the extra freedom that people are given in a Liberal Democracy also gives you the broken society you have.

People in other countries down want Americas ideology just like you dont want theres. You look at their flaws they look at yours.

#28    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

Dougeaton, after my personal experience of dealing with religious types such as yourself, while I do not wish yourself to be put into say a camp or some form of isolation simply due to my disagreement of your views, I do feel strongly relieved that I am seperated from you by some distance and can feel some justification in the belief you will not achieve any great political power.

As far as different cultures are concerned, I feel there is a point where you don't get to just sit aside and let something off as just part of the culture.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#29    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,111 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 21 May 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Actually continual studies show that the rates of violence have steadily decreased as we move from historical and pre-historical times, even counting the wars of the last couple of centuries. Now this is talking percentage wise related to population, you do have some increase due to population.
  Steven Pinker has a good book on this, actually.
Unfortunately, violence is a really cheap news story so we certainly hear about it more.

As for those decrying the evil of Islam, itself, remember that one of the most famous evil men was a proud Christian. The fault does not rest on the religion, though the religion can provide the needed excuses.

EXACTLY! I try to explain this to everyone, it provides excuses and ways to control people. It allows for people to emotionally and mentally controlled by rewards given to them after death for following scriptures written back since the beginning of time out of ignorance and knowledge about the world around them. I rather be an Atheist and understand the world around, to help better the world and create a more positive life than to be stuck in medieval scriptures that involve burning or stoning people who doesn't agree or convert.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#30    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

doug, you're so close to the mark back there it isn't funny.. or maybe it is ;)

I rather be an Atheist and understand the world around,
i agree with what you said about 'controlling them in the afterlife' (paraphrased) but how a "godless" (ie: meaningless) view of the world brings you (and any so called athiest) any understanding is beyond me....???? i'd be so happy if you were to reply 100 pages of info for me on that, really..

..if there is no God.. no afterlife..(NO MEANING) why do you even bother to try to make the world a better place? why aren't you robbing banks and sexually terrorising geriatrics right this minute?

Edited by unit, 31 May 2012 - 08:23 PM.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users