Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Easily the most insane animal footage

Talion

Easily the most insane animal footage ever caught on an undersea camera,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-8_wDgN7c&feature=player_embedded

"A remotely operated underwater vehicle caught this creature floating around in the brine — commenters on YouTube are positing that it's a specimen of the Deepstaria enigmatica jellyfish, whereas other folks on Reddit are suggesting it's errant whale placenta. Any marine biologists care to chime in?"

http://io9.com/5908770/easily-the-most-insane-animal-footage-ever-caught-on-an-undersea-camera?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

• Like 2

Not sure if this video has been posted before, but sure can explain what some earlier fisherman may have caught glimpses of mermaids 'floating by'.

I think it may be the jellyfish from looking at other photos. I think you can rule out a placenta as they are much more vascular/veiny looking.

Hi, thanks for posting,

I was actually going to go to school to learn to operate these deep sea cameras and can you imagine catching something like this on a routine day.

It looks like a transparent plastic tarp floating around in the current.

Why would anyone even jump to the conclusion that this object is alive?

I'm no expert but I would say some kind of jellyfish. Whatever it is, it's a fascinating video. Good find :tu:

• Like 1

Even if it is a jellyfish it looks like it is having a tough go of it, turning itself inside out half the time. I wonder how it manages to catch and hold anything to eat? Weird.

that thing must be intelligent .. swimming back ? and checking things out? uhmmmm

I'd have to say the innerds of something. Reminds me of tripe. Sure looks biological to me. It also looks "whole" with no tearing or ripped edges.

As usual truth is stranger than fiction.

But only a guess on my part.

Oceaneering (the equipment supplier in the vid) offices surround me here, but I don't know if a call would offer any info.

Edited by QuiteContrary

i thought plastic too until later in the video you could see the surface better. well now we know. jelly fish.

That Must Definitely Bee The Weirdest Thing I've Seen .. Does It Say The Depth They Found It In?

A jellyfish I guess.... it could have been a creature's innards also. Not an expert on this, but this is really weird ;D

Cool! Not too surprised thought, I've always thought jellyfish were the most amazing things in the sea.

Cool! Not too surprised thought, I've always thought jellyfish were the most amazing things in the sea.

Never liked jellyfish. The idea of stuff floating around while seeming is disturbing to me :o

There are a couple I wouldn't want to be stung by! That's for sure. But they are bizarre and incredibly interesting imo.

P.S. Hello! Apopo and Welcome

edit to add "Hello"

Edited by QuiteContrary

That is an awesome looking creature, and pretty unique according to the descriptions of how it moves and kills its prey..

I used to work at a marine research centre, and I've got to say that some of the creatures I got to see (even look after) were amazing - from unbelievably scary/ugly, to just astonishingly weird, to hauntingly, achingly beautiful.. I should put together a collection of my favorites, probably starting with the 'Spanish Dancer', and some of the beautiful rainbow cilia'd ctenophores, and the amazing leafy sea-dragon...

Might take me a while.. but I'll be back..

That is an awesome looking creature, and pretty unique according to the descriptions of how it moves and kills its prey..

I used to work at a marine research centre, and I've got to say that some of the creatures I got to see (even look after) were amazing - from unbelievably scary/ugly, to just astonishingly weird, to hauntingly, achingly beautiful.. I should put together a collection of my favorites, probably starting with the 'Spanish Dancer', and some of the beautiful rainbow cilia'd ctenophores, and the amazing leafy sea-dragon...

Might take me a while.. but I'll be back..

Sounds great! I'd love to see them. Sea dragon is number 2 on my list of favorite sea creatures.

Maybe it's an unknown species.

i thought plastic too until later in the video you could see the surface better. well now we know. jelly fish.

Yes, at the begining of the tape you can see the depth at 5000+

Not sure what this is. First time seeing anything like it. Hey Mattshark any idea?

http://www.liveleak....=7eb_1336564263

That is bizarre.....Good find.....I have no idea in the World.

Wow, that was rather weird. I would say a net, but it does look like it has veins or something.