Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mayan calendar - world doesn't end in 2012

mayan archeology 2012

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Mayan art and calendar at Xultunstunarchaeologists

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Archaeologists working at the Xultun ruins of the Mayan civilisation have reported striking finds, including the oldest-known Mayan astronomical tables.

The site, in Guatemala, includes the first known instance of Mayan art painted on the walls of a dwelling.

A report in Science says it dates from the early 9th Century, pre-dating other Mayan calendars by centuries.

Such calendars rose to prominence recently amid claims they predicted the end of the world in 2012.

The Mayan civilisation occupied Central America from about 2000BC until its decline and assimilation following the colonisation by the Spanish from the 15th Century onwards. It still holds fascination, with many early Mayan sites still hidden or uncatalogued.

The ruins at Xultun were first discovered in 1912 and mapping efforts in the 1920s and 1970s laid out much of the site's structure.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Contrary to some theories, there was no sign that the Mayan calendar ended abruptly in 2012.

The hieroglyphs date to about AD814, making them considerably older than the Dresden codex, an 11th- or 12th-century Mayan book written on bark paper, which found its way to the Royal Library at Dresden in 1739. The Mayans kept detailed records of the heavens and tied traditional ceremonies to these celestial events.

"This is certainly our oldest Mayan astronomical table. It's the only one we have from the classical period. It's also the first time we get to look inside a scribe or astronomer's house and see the writing on the wall," Saturno told the Guardian. More enigmatic charts on the north wall appear to represent the 365-day solar calendar, the 584-day cycle of Venus and the 780-day cycle of Mars.
"They were keen on keeping track of all planetary motions. They liked to anchor the events of their lives in cosmic terms. What comes around today will repeat again in the future and is a symbol of what happened in the distant past," Saturno added.

http://www.guardian....atemalan-jungle

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,979 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

I always find anything about the Mayan's fascinating.  I think there is many ancient artifacts we have interperted wrong.  I am glad to learn the world isn't coming to a end just before Christmas. :clap:

#4    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,619 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Maya lunar calendar notes discovered in Guatemala

By Deborah Zabarenko

WASHINGTON | Thu May 10, 2012 3:44pm EDT

(Reuters) - On the wall of a tiny structure buried under forest debris in Guatemala, archaeologists have discovered a scribe's notes about the Maya lunar calendar, which they say could be the first known records by an official chronicler of this ancient civilization.

These notes pertain to the same Maya calendar that is sometimes erroneously thought to predict the world's end on or about December 22, 2012. The researchers who helped uncover and decipher the wall's inscriptions said the Maya calendar foresaw a vast progression of time, with the December 2012 date the beginning of a new calendar cycle called a baktun.

"They were looking at the way these cycles were turning," said William Saturno of Boston University, an author of an article on the find in the journal Science. "The Maya calendar is going to keep going and keep going for billions, trillions, octillions of years into the future, a huge number that we can't even wrap our heads around."

Full Article

Cz

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan
"I'm tired of ignorance held up as inspiration, where vicious anti-intellectualism is considered a positive trait, and where uninformed opinion is displayed as fact." - Phil Plait
"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." - H. L. Mencken

#5    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

Very nice.

Finding rare records of a civilization when it was believed that no more records survived had to be quite a feather in the caps of the archaeologists responsible.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#6    brizink

brizink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

The calendar that tells us of the "end" in 2012 really intends to tell us that a new awakening will come on Dec. 21st 2012 (skeptical on that) no REAL end in sight. I laugh at all the hooplah, but i will enjoy all the End of The World Parties this year :)

#7    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Published: May 10, 2012 By: JENNIE COHEN
Oldest Known Mayan Calendar Debunks December 2012 Myth

Archaeologists excavating at Xultún, a Maya site in Guatemala, have discovered a room thought to have served as a workshop for scribes and calendar priests more than 1,200 years ago. Its walls are adorned with remarkably preserved paintings and writing, including calculations related to the Mayan calendar. The scrawled numbers confirm what experts have been proclaiming for years: the Mayan calendar does not predict that the world will end on December 21, 2012.
Article: http://www.history.c...dwelling-walls/

#8    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

i dont believe anything about this new calendar.....    they found over a dozens of calendars . and in all those calendars it ends on 21. 12 ..12 ...    and now the time is near .. they found 1 calendar that is older, so it debunks all the other calendars?      i smell something . !    
funny i am not gullible enuogh to believe ..   . you know a few months ago .. the news in the netherlands.. they said..     that the world doesnt end on 21.12.12  because .. they made a mistake..  with the calculations.  its not 2012 but 2212 ..
and now this... ..

uhhhhhh sureeeeeeeeeeeeee !

#9    Messy Marvin

Messy Marvin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Anybody who has done five minutes of independent research on the topic should know this already. Every notable expert on Mayan culture has laughed at this apocalyptic scenario because it is completely fabricated. Don't believe everything you watch on History Channel.

Anybody who has done five minutes of independent research on the topic should know this already. Every notable expert on Mayan culture has laughed at this apocalyptic scenario because it is completely fabricated. Don't believe everything you watch on History Channel.

#10    Crypto2357

Crypto2357

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I would think that if the world was going to end, it would have in 2000.  But it didnt.  The world was suppose to end 50 other times in modern history, 11-11-11 just to name one date.  It was also suppose to end last May of 2011 according to the fellow who approached my family and I while we were at a fair and exclaimed that the "RAPTURE" was coming.  I also saw the coming of this "RAPTURE" displayed on the back of the Mercedes and Escalades of the ministers who apparently convinced their followers to donate to the "church" for the upcoming event.  Needless to say, they were probably dissapointed.  Once one of these dates hits the web, the media gets a hold of it, and uses it to envoke paranoia, which then creates awful shows like Doomsday Preppers, where the only thing that a family does is live in paranoia or prepare for the end, instead of enjoying their time together.  If the end does come in some catastrophic way, no one will know, but if we did find out ahead of time, I hope we would all enjoy each others company instead of watching John Cusak freak out in the movie "2012"

#11    DrunkDwarf

DrunkDwarf

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostWhyDontYouBeliEveMe, on 11 May 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

i dont believe anything about this new calendar..... they found over a dozens of calendars . and in all those calendars it ends on 21. 12 ..12 ... and now the time is near .. they found 1 calendar that is older, so it debunks all the other calendars?   i smell something . !
funny i am not gullible enuogh to believe ..   . you know a few months ago .. the news in the netherlands.. they said.. that the world doesnt end on 21.12.12  because .. they made a mistake..  with the calculations.  its not 2012 but 2212 ..
and now this... ..

uhhhhhh sureeeeeeeeeeeeee !

It's annoying, folk are scrambling to find anything that can debunk the 2012 stuff, when there's nothing to debunk, the particular mayan calendar that ends in 2012 is accurate, the calendar concludes on the winter solstice, but it's a calendar system, not a prophecy. It's a massive leap of logic for people think that if a calendar ends it must mean the world ends, they must go into a irrational panic every December 31st.

Finding this other calendar is like finding a copy of the Julian Calendar system and thinking it somehow "debunks" the Gregorian Calendar system, makes no sense, all it shows is that there were previous versions of the calendar system they went on to use, it was created over time, so this would've been expected.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

Visit my blog at http://www.brianmcgillivray.com/

#12    Jester Harlot

Jester Harlot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

See? I knew the world wouldn't end in 2012.

#13    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

here;s the video

http://video.nationa...ws_xultun_mural

#14    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

DARN IT!!!!!  I planned my whole life around the fact that the world would end 12/21/2012.  If this is true I will be totaly broke starting on 12/22/2012.  Now taking donations.

#15    jaguarsky

jaguarsky

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Dammit....what am I supposed to do with all the MREs?

Also tagged with mayan, archeology, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users