Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Republican pollster urges GOP to rethink

pollster republicans same sex marriage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,782 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

The Guardian said:

A leading Republican pollster has pushed for a party rethink on gay marriage, stressing the conservative nature of encouraging commitment between same-sex couples.
In a memo to GOP operatives, Jan van Lohuizen – a former public opinion researcher for George Bush – notes a shift in attitudes towards gay marriage and calls for a Republican response.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Van Lohuizen continues: "Polling conducted among Republicans show that majorities of Republicans and Republican leaning voters support extending basic legal protections to gays and lesbians."

That's impossible...the big old meany Republicans are all against same sex marriage and abortions.

#3    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

You canot have family values without encouraging families to stay together. Seems pretty simple.

Posted Image

#4    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,929 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

… The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can “throw the rascals out” at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy. … Either party in office becomes in time corrupt, tired, unenterprising, and vigorless. Then it should be possible to replace it, every four years if necessary, by the other party, which will be none of these things but will still pursue, with new vigor, approximately the same basic policies.--Quigley, Tragedy, pp. 1247–1248

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

But isn't it odd how all of these polls supposidly show majority support for gay marriage but yet it fails every single time that it's put up for a vote - even in the bluest of the blue states.

How can that be?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostRafterman, on 12 May 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

But isn't it odd how all of these polls supposidly show majority support for gay marriage but yet it fails every single time that it's put up for a vote - even in the bluest of the blue states.

How can that be?

I would guess voter apathy. The margin has been getting very close

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

basic legal protections =/= marriage equality. It's a step though, basically ensuring that there is a de facto status to homosexual relationships in the eys of the law.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostMichelle, on 12 May 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

I would guess voter apathy. The margin has been getting very close

I would argue that not voting is voting if you know what I mean.  It's one thing to tell a pollster something (gee, I dont' want him/her to think I'm homophobic), but it's another thing entirely to make the effort to go to the polls and pull the lever.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

Also tagged with pollster, republicans, same sex marriage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users