Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 6 votes

[Merged] Did we land on the moon?

nasa apollo hoax

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2593 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,137 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Moderator notice

As noted by Saru yesterday, the original Did we land on the moon? topic has grown too long, and is now closed.

Please continue the discussion here.

Thank you.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

R.I.P. legendary original "Did we land on the moon ?" thread. :(

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,137 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 14 May 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

It's not dead, rather like a Time Lord, it has regenerated.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 14 May 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Technically, that thread wasn't the original thread on this topic. There was another long thread that, from my understanding, was closed due largely to the behaviour of some of the participants.

Cz

"Thinking is critical, because sense is not common..." - GreaterSapien
"Enquiring and doubting the "official story" are also good things .... However when these doubts require you to ignore the evidence, to dishonestly cherry pick evidence and claim it supports your case when it doesn't, when you operate a double standard; demanding proof of that which is already proven whilst making unsupported statements and personal opinions to back your own case and when you deny the truth simply because it IS the official story then you are no longer acting in a rational way. This is not the behaviour of a "different thinker", this is the behaviour of a "believer" who chooses not to rationally think about the evidence at all." - Waspie Dwarf

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,137 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostCzero 101, on 14 May 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Technically, that thread wasn't the original thread on this topic. There was another long thread that, from my understanding, was closed due largely to the behaviour of some of the participants.

There have been many. Things were restricted to a single thread because things got a bit nasty and this one subject was taking up a ludicrous amount of moderator time. Although it can still be heated this subject is not the problem it once was.

I once compiled a list of all the Apollo hoax threads I could find. Most are now closed and most of the others should be, to stop necroposting. For reference purposes I will find that list and re-post it here. It will have to wait until tomorrow, however, as I have more important things to do... I'm on my way to the pub :)

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 14 May 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

There have been many. Things were restricted to a single thread because things got a bit nasty and this one subject was taking up a ludicrous amount of moderator time. Although it can still be heated this subject is not the problem it once was.

I once compiled a list of all the Apollo hoax threads I could find. Most are now closed and most of the others should be, to stop necroposting. For reference purposes I will find that list and re-post it here. It will have to wait until tomorrow, however, as I have more important things to do... I'm on my way to the pub :)

A daunting project Waspie.
I suspect the pub was a lot more inviting!

:tu:

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Who has the dead horse?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,137 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

As promised, here is a list of previous "Apollo hoax" topics. I can't guarantee that it is complete, but it is as comprehensive as possible. Please note that this list is not in chronological order. The list was originally grouped firstly by whether The topic was closed or still open and then by which forum The topic was in. I have also included so threads I missed in my original list, plus some that started after I made it.

I have not included those threads, which whilst about lunar discoveries, are not about The conspiracy theory. I have also not included those threads from The UFO forum which claim that NASA are covering up ET discoveries/contact during Apollo.

If anyone finds a topic I have missed please feel free to PM with The link and I will edit this post to include it.

Also feel free to contact me if you find a broken link. I believe I have tested them all, but with so many I may have missed one or two.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 15 May 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

As promised, here is a list of previous "Apollo hoax" topics. I can't guarantee that it is complete, but it is as comprehensive as possible. Please note that this list is not in chronological order. The list was originally grouped firstly by whether The topic was closed or still open and then by which forum The topic was in. I have also included so threads I missed in my original list, plus some that started after I made it.

I have not included those threads, which whilst about lunar discoveries, are not about The conspiracy theory. I have also not included those threads from The UFO forum which claim that NASA are covering up ET discoveries/contact during Apollo.

If anyone finds a topic I have missed please feel free to PM with The link and I will edit this post to include it.

Also feel free to contact me if you find a broken link. I believe I have tested them all, but with so many I may have missed one or two.

I think #8 was The original marathon Moon Hoax thread.
memory tells me that S3th and Kilter appeared right away in that one...and there they both are, quickly.

#10    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,672 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

So the bottom line is ? ANd not number 40. the moon landings are still the most amazing thing Mankind has done to Date !

This is a Work in Progress!

#11    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 29,704 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 16 May 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

So the bottom line is ? ANd not number 40. the moon landings are still the most amazing thing Mankind has done to Date !

I agree and I was amazed at the size of the Saturn rocket as it launched off the pad, and as I look back, I am still amazed.  I remember an accident where the Soviet Union built a rocket and the thing blew up killing many of its engineers and technicians.

1960: the attempted launch of a prototype R-16 ICBM ends in disaster when the Soviet rocket blows up on a launchpad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, killing over 100 engineers, technicians and military personnel.

http://www.wired.com.../dayintech_1024

It is difficult to imagine that there are people who actually think that the United States spent billions of dollars to concoct moon hoax missions, which would have been easy to reveal and no guarantee that everyone would have kept their mouths shut.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#12    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

I look at many of those thread titles and whiff the odour of Stray Dog.

#13    Redoubt

Redoubt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Did we land on the moon?

Just my personal opinion but... yes, I think we did. It would be impossible to have staged such an event and then have it remain undiscovered forever. With China, Russia, India and Japan sending robotic missions, a non-landing would have been outed, loudly... especially now with all the trendy anti-American sentiment going around.

What I find interesting, though, is that we've never returned... to the surface, that is. Aside from crashing a rocket booster into the lunar south pole, we really haven't taken advantage of what is, clearly, a mineral/mining wonderland. And now, we're even making plans to travel to mine the asteroids while still ignoring the moon only a few days journey away!

It defies every bit of logic you toss at it.

The virtue and perfection of cynicism is that you are rarely if ever wrong and never at all disappointed if you are.

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,137 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostRedoubt, on 16 May 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Aside from crashing a rocket booster into the lunar south pole, we really haven't taken advantage of what is, clearly, a mineral/mining wonderland. And now, we're even making plans to travel to mine the asteroids while still ignoring the moon only a few days journey away!

It defies every bit of logic you toss at it.
It seems to me that you are making the classic mistake of saying something defies logic when the actual problem is that you have not considered, or are not in possession, of all the facts.

The Moon may only have 1/6th gravity but that is still a considerable amount of fuel that would be needed to launch any meaningful quantity of mined material from it's surface. That fuel needs to be launched from the earth in the first place, meaning larger or more numerous launch vehicles, meaning more expense.

Asteroids have negligible surface gravity, so whilst they may be furthet away, in terms of robotic mining, they are more economically viable.

I really don't want to take this too far off topic, there is a thread in the "Space Exploration and Spaceflight" section where further discussion on this subject would be better placed: Plans for asteroid mining emerge

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    Redoubt

Redoubt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 May 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

It seems to me that you are making the classic mistake of saying something defies logic when the actual problem is that you have not considered, or are not in possession, of all the facts.

I really don't want to take this too far off topic, there is a thread in the "Space Exploration and Spaceflight" section where further discussion on this subject would be better placed: Plans for asteroid mining emerge

Excuse me?

Mister/Ms Mod, please allow me to tell you that I grew up in Florida during the days of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. I had family members that worked on the cape... we could stand in the front yard and see the rockets against the night sky. So, I defend my life as enough knowledge to allow me to discuss this topic with anyone.

Second, I mentioned asteroids in context to the subject of whether or not we actually landed on the moon.

Did I make a mistake by commenting on this site/subject? I really don't get the way you responded... especially as a mod.

Edited by Redoubt, 16 May 2012 - 04:30 PM.

The virtue and perfection of cynicism is that you are rarely if ever wrong and never at all disappointed if you are.