Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Poltergeist Film curse

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    bigsir

bigsir

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hello all! Let me say first I have been following this forum for years, and would like to say thanks for all the dedication put in.

I felt compelled to post this info here in hopes to solving a bizarre query about the motion picture Poltergeist (1982).

I'm sure many of you have heard of (forgive me if you have not)the speculated "Poltergeist Movie Curse", because several cast members have passed during the filming of the three films.

There is a very bizarre factor about the first Poltergeist film that has gone overlooked, IMO. There is only one other mention of this online(that I can find), and given the films history and controversy, I am surprised it is not well known: Hanging on the wall in the children's bedroom during the film is a poster for 1988 Superbowl XXII. The movie was filmed in 1981, released in 1982. The date of the 1988 Superbowl XXII was the date that Heather O'Rourke (Carolanne) was sent to the hospital and died hours after.

I have the film on blueray, and it is clear its 1988 Superbowl XXII, not 1983. I would love to blow the lid off this thing!

Attached Files

Edited by Saru, 17 May 2012 - 06:31 PM.
Fixed font

#2    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

Interesting, but the curse is nothing more than a legend. I believe these sad and tragic events are nothing more than coincidence.

One actress was killed by her boyfriend, another died of cancer, the little girl died of septic shock I believe, one died after a botched lung transplant...It's only coincidence that all of these tragic events happened shortly after the release of one of the movies or during the movies, these events didn't happened because they were actors playing in "Poltergeist", these things can happen to anybody.

I think it's another one of these "mysteries" based on coincidence, something somebody created to make life more exciting.

Edited by JonathanVonErich, 16 May 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#3    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Wish there was a better pic of that poster, i really can't make out very much of it.

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,083 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

Not sure what there is to "blow the lid off of", but OK.

Saying there is Poltergeist curse is like saying there is a Declaration of Independence curse (OMG everyone who signed it is dead!).  People die, that's just a fact of life.

As to the poster and its relation to Heather O'Rourke, most don't know that she had been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease more than a year prior and while her death was somewhat sudden, she had been a very sick little girl for quite some time.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 2,959 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

Poltergeist - 'The film was cursed, as all the kids in the film died, as did other members of the crew.' Partially true, largely false! Yes, there was a lot of bad luck attached to the film, but one child died aged twenty two, another aged 12, after all the sequels were shot, and the third child is still with us.

So they died years later, damn that one weird curse, I mean I am cursed that one day i will die. Old age or sooner. You making a nut job conspiricy about the dates. Next you be using the numbers to spell "Hell" or "devil".

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#6    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I for some reason, don't have my 'like' button so I can't just like Brian Topp's post so I'll say this:  The movie wasn't cursed.  There is no such thing.

I want to see that poster and kinda want to know what your point is about it and please use a font large enough for me to read without a magnifying glass.

#7    bigsir

bigsir

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 17 May 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

I for some reason, don't have my 'like' button so I can't just like Brian Topp's post so I'll say this:  The movie wasn't cursed.  There is no such thing.

I want to see that poster and kinda want to know what your point is about it and please use a font large enough for me to read without a magnifying glass.

I know I cant figure out how to change the font!  And I'm with you guys, I do not believe there is a movie curse.  The media has claimed there is one.  Tragic coincidence I think.  But that poster, c'mon!  Weird!

#8    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

View Postbigsir, on 17 May 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

I know I cant figure out how to change the font!  And I'm with you guys, I do not believe there is a movie curse.  The media has claimed there is one.  Tragic coincidence I think.  But that poster, c'mon!  Weird!

Well like I said I can't tell much from the poster.

There are some bugs with the site today as the 'likes' were slowing down the site.  It's being worked on.  Hopefully the site will be fully functional again soon!  Oh and welcome to UM!!

Posted Image

#9    bigsir

bigsir

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 17 May 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Well like I said I can't tell much from the poster.

There are some bugs with the site today as the 'likes' were slowing down the site.  It's being worked on.  Hopefully the site will be fully functional again soon!  Oh and welcome to UM!!

Posted Image
Thank you( and for fixing my font)!  The poster is just odd to me (and the fact that date on the poster is the date the main character in real life went to the hospital and died).  The only other mention of it is on the films IMDB forum.  I have seen the poster up close on a blueray disc on a big tv.

#10    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

View Postbigsir, on 17 May 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Thank you( and for fixing my font)!  The poster is just odd to me (and the fact that date on the poster is the date the main character in real life went to the hospital and died).  The only other mention of it is on the films IMDB forum.  I have seen the poster up close on a blueray disc on a big tv.

Oh ok, I get it now.  But it is just coincidence.  I guess I just don't understand what the poster is about.  A future superbowl?  I guess it makes sense to men.  lol

#11    bigsir

bigsir

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

cracked.com  released this article a few days ago:

http://www.cracked.c...e-accuracy.html

#12    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Maybe its a rebuild team poster of where they would like to be in a few years I have seen these before on odd occasions, & I personally don't belief there is a curse.

#13    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postbigsir, on 18 July 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

cracked.com  released this article a few days ago:

http://www.cracked.c...e-accuracy.html

You beat me to it!

#14    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Meh, i dont think its a curse.

Arent there loads of film of this genre with supposed curses attached to it?

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#15    mrmorgan

mrmorgan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

There was a few things that have supposed to have been cursed.

the exorcist ir prob the nost famous and also the incredable hulk tv series.

that poster situation is pure freaky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users