Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Sphinx and GP dates from 10 500 BC?

• Please log in to reply
1650 replies to this topic

#871    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Posted Image

#872    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

Posted Image

#873    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Posted Image

#874    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Posted Image

#875    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,344 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 29 June 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Again all the Sphinxs were place facing side ways in the monumemts of egypt, not as in front of ,even the dream stela. Clearly the Sphinx was place side ways for  khufu`s tomb.

"All" is a tricky word to use and, in my opinion, is often best avoided (depending on circumstances). Of most importance is the orientation of the monument where sphinxes were situated. At Giza the three pyramids—and mastaba tombs, for that matter—have an east-west orientation, east being the front. The Sphinx looks toward the east, the Egyptian direction of rebirth and resurrection. Moreover, the Sphinx has no real connection with the pyramid complex of Khufu, so it wouldn't be logical for him to have commissioned it. I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you, but the weight of archaeological evidence definitely associates the Sphinx with the pyramid complex of Khafre.

All of the images you posted subsequent to this one are of sphinxes and sphinx-related monuments dating to the New Kingdom and later. This was a millennium after the Great Sphinx was carved. In fact, some of the sphinx photos you posted of the Karnak and Luxor vicinity date to the Late Period, almost two millennia after the carving of the Great Sphinx. Note the obvious differences between the Old Kingdom and the New Kingdom and later: while the form of the sphinx always remained a guardian figure, in later periods they were considerably smaller so as to flank the processional ways of temples. These processional ways were the paths on which priests walked during important ritual events, traveling from temple to temple.

But the Sphinx of Giza stands alone. It doesn't flank or mark a processional way but looks out over one: the ancient quays now largely buried under Cairo suburban sprawl. It protects the land of the dead toward the west, behind it, and gazes into the land of resurrection and rebirth, toward the east. It is strictly a funerary monument; Giza was strictly a necropolis when the Sphinx was carved. The sphinxes in your photos, however, are on the grounds of the sacred precincts of temples, apart from burial grounds.

Clearly the form of the sphinx underwent changes in meaning as time went on. My apologies for droning on at such length, but I'm trying to explain this as best as I can. And that is, the Sphinx of Giza is rather different from the sphinxes in your photos (aside from the obvious size factor). By the weight of evidence, including how the Sphinx communicates with its surroundings both spatially and architecturally, it is Khafre's monument, not Khufu's.

I'm not sure if you know this, but the Dream Stela dates to the reign of Tuthmosis IV, in Dynasty 18, a millennium after the Sphinx was carved.

Editing to add: I nearly forgot an important point, but for the Sphinx of Giza to be similar to the sphinxes in your photo, docyabut2, it would need to be perpendicular to the pyramids. That is, it would need to face north with another like it toward the north facing south, flanking the pyramid complex of Khafre (or Khufu).

Edited by kmt_sesh, 30 June 2012 - 03:08 AM.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#876    samspade

samspade

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

Another video

The Mystery Of The Sphinx

#877    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I spoke with one guy last night. He asked what do I think could it be that Sphinx represents sex? Four legs are in fact synonym for couple and in sex they become one. One head. They are united. I remebered how Shakespeare describe sex. Beast with two backs. Well could Sphinx represented Beast with four legs?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#878    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

• Consensus opinion isn't fact.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 30 June 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

KMT: Moreover, the Sphinx has no real connection with the pyramid complex of Khufu, so it wouldn't be logical for him to have commissioned it. I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you, but the weight of archaeological evidence definitely associates the Sphinx with the pyramid complex of Khafre.

SC: Consensus Egyptology and its apologists have been spouting forth this mere opinion for the better part of 200 years. But it is patent nonsense as a cursory glance of the arrangement of the Giza monuments in relation to the Sphinx will easily demonstrate.

Posted Image

Map Source: Giza Plateau Mapping Project

Notice how, in the figure above, that a circle circumscribed around the three most outer corners of the Giza pyramid field finds the rear of the Sphinx sitting almost perfectly on the perimeter of the circumscribed circle.  The chances of this arrangement occurring by mere chance are astronomical.  And yet, a random occurrence is what the Egypt-apologists will have you believe of this arrangement. Any evidence that is not explainable to Consensus Egyptology is simply ignored, glossed over and forgotten. They do not wish to probe further into such matters for fear of discovering something that might then upset the cosy paradigm they have deluded themselves into believing. Best just ignore such findings in the hope that it goes away., that no one will notice.  But this arrangement is NOT a random occurrence for this arrangement of the site, and of the Sphinx in particular, serves a very specific purpose.

Regards,

SC

Edited by Scott Creighton, 31 October 2012 - 02:50 PM.

"The man o' independent mind... is king o' men, for a' that." - Robert Burns

#879    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,760 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostScott Creighton, on 31 October 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Notice how, in the figure above, that a circle circumscribed around the three most outer corners of the Giza pyramid field finds the rear of the Sphinx sitting almost perfectly on the perimeter of the circumscribed circle.  The chances of this arrangement occurring by mere chance are astronomical.

Any three noncollinear points will determine a circle, Scott.

Your lack of geometrical understanding is showing.

The fact that the Sphinx sits "almost perfectly" (whatever thet means) on the circle you randomly chose from random corners of pyramids means only that the Sphinx is nearby.

People that know a minimal amount of mathematics already know this, so there is no "delusion" involved regarding what Egyptology has to say about this.  In fact, they have nothing to say about your circle, for reasons I just explained.

Regards,

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#880    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

• Consensus opinion isn't fact.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostHarte, on 31 October 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Any three noncollinear points will determine a circle, Scott.

SC: Indeed. We know this.

Harte: Your lack of geometrical understanding is showing.

SC: Really?

Harte: The fact that the Sphinx sits "almost perfectly" (whatever thet means) on the circle you randomly chose from random corners of pyramids means only that the Sphinx is nearby.

SC: I hardly consider the three most outer corners of the Giza pyramid field to be "random" since they all share the common feature of being an outer corner of the Giza pyramid field--the first circle that fully encloses the Giza pyramid field within the circle. Hardly random.

Harte: People that know a minimal amount of mathematics already know this, so there is no "delusion" involved regarding what Egyptology has to say about this.

SC: Well here's a little experiment for all those watching at home, including you. Scatter four pennies randomly to the floor and try and find a circle that connects all four of your randomly scattered pennies.  Certainly you will ALWAYS find a circle that that will connect any three non-linear points but to connect FOUR is much more difficult, as you will undoubtedly know.

Now, when we set the fulcrum of the Orion Belt stars over G1 and G3, we also find the following:

Posted Image

The Sphinx sits on the perimeter of the circle and the circle's centre meets the centre of the middle Belt Star, Al Nilam (which corresponds to G2 centre--we can see from the topography of the ground at G2 why the architect moved G2 slightly off its planned Belt Star position). This is a bit like circumscribing the three most outer points of New York City with a circle and finding that the Empire State Building is smack bang in the circle's centre whilst the Statue of Liberty sits on the circle's perimeter. And, of course, it can be shown that using the Belt Stars in a simple and systematic manner, we can easily reproduce the relative proportions of the main Gizamid bases to a very high degree of accuracy. No doubt you'll still be saying it is all just one big coincidence. Dream on.

Harte. In fact, they have nothing to say about your circle, for reasons I just explained.

SC: Well, you would say that, wouldn't you. But still--nice to see that you've removed me from your ignore button.  Or perhaps you're just having a senior moment?

Regards,

SC

Edited by Scott Creighton, 31 October 2012 - 07:15 PM.

"The man o' independent mind... is king o' men, for a' that." - Robert Burns

#881    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,366 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

It's interesting how there's a mismatch between Scott's claim and a Quickbird view of the Giza Pyramids and Sphinx:

Attached File  Mismatch.jpg   87.75K   14 downloads

Of particular note is the fact that the part of the circle intersecting the rear of the Sphinx, per Scott's picture actually intersects the back of the neck in the Quickbird satellite photo. Not remotely "almost perfect".

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt, 31 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#882    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,760 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 31 October 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

It's interesting how there's a mismatch between Scott's claim and a Quickbird view of the Giza Pyramids and Sphinx:

Attachment Mismatch.jpg
Yeah, but not as interesting as his false claims used to be.

Guess we're getting used to it.

Scott, you did choose points at random. There is no reason to pick the northern and easter pyramids as "outermost."  That is, regarding the Menkaure Queen pyramid, the eastern of the three could as easily be thought of as "outermost, " and for the Khufu triplet, the center pyramid is more "outer" than the other two, when looked at with a different perspective.

The three points associated with these pyramids would also make a circle, but that circle would miss the sphinx altogether.

So, the lesson is that, first you pick a circle to touch the Sphinx, and then are astonished when your chosen circle touches the Sphinx!
Regards,

Harte

Edited by Harte, 31 October 2012 - 07:53 PM.

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#883    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,993 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 31 October 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Attachment Mismatch.jpg

Of particular note is the fact that the part of the circle intersecting the rear of the Sphinx, per Scott's picture actually intersects the back of the neck in the Quickbird satellite photo. Not remotely "almost perfect".

cormac

Now, don't be so critical, he just is using a little "poetic license"

Edited by questionmark, 31 October 2012 - 08:13 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#884    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,344 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Aside from exaggerations over "exact" measurements on an imagined circle, when Khufu built his Great Pyramid there was nothing to the south of it. Khafre's pyramid did not yet exist, Menkaure's pyramid did not yet exist, nor did any of their queens' or satellite pyramids. Therefore, it doesn't make much sense to me to try to assign the Great Sphinx to Khufu based on a circle encompassing major monuments that did not yet even exist.

But that's Egyptology for you. Always using reason and logic. How dare they!

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#885    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,366 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 October 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Now, don't be so critical, he just is using a little "poetic license"

Is that what it's called. Smells more like bullflop.

Using the tail end of the Sphinx as a measure, here are the points (end of red lines) the circle would actually have to meet:

Attached File  Mismatch 2.jpg   76.94K   17 downloads

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users