Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mermaids: The Body Found

animal planet mermaids documentary

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#31    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

I liked the doco be it real or not but it did make me think some animals did return back to the sea so why not an ape. ?

#32    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 31 May 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

What I don't understand about the hypothesis concerning 'mermaids' is, if there has been enough time involved in their evolution to re-acquire 'fishy' (or aquatic mammalian) bodies and hind flippers, then why did they keep the evolutionarily redundant terrestrial features such as noses, lips, arms, etc.

Because then they'd just be regular fish, not the mermaids that charm sailors to their demise.

#33    questionsunanswered

questionsunanswered

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

Can someone please give me the name of the actor that played Dr. Paul Robertson?  I have been able to find on websites the name of the actor who played Paul Robertson in the imbedded "dramatic reenactments" of events, but not the one who narrated the show as "Dr. Paul Robertson."  I have found it impossible so far to ID this person.

#34    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,357 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

What the documentary needed was some comments from well known biologist Doctor Helen Magnus, or experimental physicist Doctor Walter Bishop.
Maybe military scientific advisor Doctor John Smith.

Someone credible like that.

Edited by Wearer of Hats, 28 October 2012 - 02:16 AM.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#35    Karyotype

Karyotype

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

• No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Just finished watching this.  Although I found it interesting to watch, I viewed it just as entertainment not factual.  But if someone
can produce evidence, I'm open to changing my opinion/mind.

"Democracy is two wolves deciding what to eat for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Thomas Jefferson-

#36    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Does anyone else find it weird that the following logins (who are the biggest proponent for this thread) all have 1 post under their belt.  Hrmmmm... wonder if they all have the same ip address.  Interesting no?

FranchescoMcGyver,

cclayton000,

Stodolaj1,

thirteenjewels

questionsunanswered

Someone's been busy making new accounts.... :yes:

Edited by AshenPhoenix, 28 October 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#37    Tommy13

Tommy13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

IMHO it's a False Flag Opperation.

#38    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostTommy13, on 28 October 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

IMHO it's a False Flag Opperation.
I tend to be open minded about things like this.  Do I believe there are mermaids?  Yes, if only they are misidentifications (manitees, dolphins, ect).  Is there a possibility that some of our distant ancestors remained in the water and evolved into the mermaids of lore?  I'm not discounting anything but reserving belief until sufficient evidence is submitted.

Even then, it's hard to take any 'evidence' into consideration short of seeing the live creature as media is so easily manipulated now a days.  But then, animatronics has progressed greatly as well...

#39    venom012

venom012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

I had a tough time figuring this was real or not becuase what happened to the whales in Washington state did happen. So the the show threw me off.

#40    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

View Postvenom012, on 30 October 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

I had a tough time figuring this was real or not becuase what happened to the whales in Washington state did happen. So the the show threw me off.
I'm sure it threw a lot of people off.

#41    Soul of the Sea

Soul of the Sea

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• Everything is true until proven real.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

I actually found this a rather interesting program. First off the show seemed to have some truth to these events. I personally believe that even though the actors and events are most likely little more than just stories, there is some truth to the legend. Now whether it may be simply a misidentification or a creature lost long ago we may never know. The purpose of this show was to inform the public of the whale beachings and the military involvement with these, and it was incredibly successfull at this. Thats my opinion on it. Agree or disagree with me as you please.

If you say cryptids don't exist. Look at the proof around you.

#42    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,225 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Mermaids: The Body Found is a documentary[1] television film, using actors to play fictitious characters, that originally aired on May 27, 2012, on Animal Planet and June 17 on Discovery Channel. It tells the story of a scientific team's investigative efforts to uncover the source behind mysterious underwater recordings and an unidentified marine body

http://en.wikipedia...._The_Body_Found

Mermaids: The Body Found is a science fiction drama in the form of a documentary television film, using actors to play fictitious characters, that originally aired on ...

Discovery aired an Animal Planet documentary this past weekend called Mermaids: The Body Found. Unfortunately, a mermaid body has not been found, despite many internet crawlers’ assumptions

http://blog.travelch...like-a-mermaid/

You first saw "Mermaids: The Body Found" during Animal Planet's monstrous Monster Week line-up, but the two hour documentary-style program recently re-aired on Discovery. Once again, the Animal Planet program, which uses scientific theory and real events to debate whether or not mermaids exist, caused a stir among viewers and the program was trending in the No. 1 spot on Google after airing. It seems the program had many convinced that mermaids could exist (much in the way another popular Animal Planet program, "Finding Bigfoot," explores the possibility that Sasquatch could be real).

http://blogs.discove...1774373bba3970d

Read above link for more information.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has clarified and confirmed that no evidence of existence of mermaids has ever been found.

http://www.ibtimes.c...aa-pictures.htm

Did any of above really need to be shown to let people know this show was fiction?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#43    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

I actually watched the entire program when it aired. Very interesting. I also find it interesting that the US Government would deface a "Discovery" Channel website with there logo.

Edited by stevemagegod, 05 November 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#44    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,898 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

View Postvenom012, on 30 October 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

My wife was watching this not too long ago and she said the problem with these types of shows is how to tell what is real facts and what is outright lies. Unless you want to accept the whole show as fact, then everything that is broadcast Must Be Suspect as being false.

View PostSoul of the Sea, on 31 October 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

I actually found this a rather interesting program. First off the show seemed to have some truth to these events. I personally believe that even though the actors and events are most likely little more than just stories, there is some truth to the legend. Now whether it may be simply a misidentification or a creature lost long ago we may never know. The purpose of this show was to inform the public of the whale beachings and the military involvement with these, and it was incredibly successfull at this. Thats my opinion on it. Agree or disagree with me as you please.
The best lies are mostly Truth.

I don't think the point of the show was to inform the public of the miltary sonar testing and whale beachings. That part is only a couple minutes of the two hour show.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#45    Erowin

Erowin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostFranchescoMcGyver, on 28 May 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

People are always so quick to discount this kind of stuff. The very first scientist to speak on the show is Dr. Paul Robertson. Paul was a scientist for NOAA, but left the agency back in 2005. If this isnt real then why did the U.S government do this to his personal website? http://drpaulrobertson.com Take a look at this site as well, http://believeinmermaids.com This site was put together by Paul and one of the other scientists who spoke on the program. Why are they being covered up? I agree with a lot of what you are saying as far as people believing everything they hear before trying to verify its credibility, for sure! But while everyone is making a joke about the 'mermaid" or "aquatic ape theory" story and whether its tru or not, governments around the world are killing off animals through testing. People, why isn't the issue of whales and dolphins beaching themselves to death all around the world on any given day, not getting ANY attention? Wake up folks, lets think about trying to help stop these types of mass beachings from happening in our world. Lets also start to look into the recent reports (http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=15269793 which is a CREDIBLE report I might add) of birds just falling from the sky and then discovering that their insides are liquefied in many cases, and all dying of blunt trauma? For those of you who think it was the fireworks, that's a joke. I've been to hundreds of fireworks displays and I've never seen that happen before. If you visit the ABC news link and see this for yourself, wait for the second report that plays afterwards, its not just the one video report of the New Years Eve incident, but several others as well. Unfortunately, there are small 30 second ads in between unfortunately, (but I guess bills have to be paid somehow, right?)This is happening frequently now and in many different states around the United States. I think they are testing these weopons on animals to make sure that they work, pure and simple. It must be some hell of a wepon to be able to kill like it does, AND they have the same type of weapon for the ocean too. Something IS going on folks, and personally, I believe that it is some type of new age weapons testing. Thats what I think this is all about, pure and simple. No government is going to be stupid enough to admit any weapon development, or usage, thats not going to happen, for obvious reasons. (you dont invent a kickass weapon, and then let your enemy know you have it) The U.S. still has enemies today, probably more now than we've ever had in the past, there is more to that program than people know, and I think many people missed the most important point of the program.

Yeah but it has an imdb page

That lists the actors

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1816585/

Also tagged with animal planet, mermaids, documentary

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users