Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mermaids: The Body Found

animal planet mermaids documentary

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostSakari, on 27 May 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Uhm, the show ( both of them ) are fiction, mockumentaries, not real......

This has been pointed out since the first one aired.......

Do not believe me, write Discovery channel, or just read back, or just google yourself.....

I am sure you will not see this anyway, as it seems more and more people read the title, the first reply, then hit " reply " and ignore everything in between.....

I should re-post the pic that is 3 replies back.....

You missed my point of where I said I am NOT a believer and  I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

I question why the fictional show would warrant an OFFICIAL denial statement  by a government when other more popular crypto creatures do not?  

Maybe they just don't want the believers to search too closely at the oceans because something else is going on.

#62    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,174 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 27 May 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

I question why the fictional show would warrant an OFFICIAL denial statement  by a government when other more popular crypto creatures do not?  
because after it aired the Coast Guard et al got a metric tonne of calls about Mermaids from people too stupid to twig it was a work of fiction.
So in order to give themselves a break, they issued an official denial, they had to or the calls would continue to come in. I bet they still do, now it's just calls about the coverups etc.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#63    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

You missed my point of where I said I am NOT a believer and  I smell lots of rats not mermaids!

Maybe they just don't want the believers to search too closely at the oceans because something else is going on.

If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, from reading about it, including from Government agencies ( who are trying to protect it ) then they are blind.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#64    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Right because if the Gummit' hadn't done that, probably like millions of people would head to the beach or out into the water........oh wait....

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#65    LotusEater

LotusEater

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostSakari, on 27 May 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, from reading about it, including from Government agencies ( who are trying to protect it ) then they are blind.

So I was just doing my normal research the day after a mockumentary when I stumbled across this gem of a post. You may know what's going on in our oceans to an extent... people much stupider than you can read all the same things you do. To imply that you know even a small percentage of what is going on under the waves just completely blows any credibility that your overly inflated post count might manufacture for you. Let me just stress this again... You have no idea what is really going on under the waves, so best to stop pretending that you do.

Anyway, the show was obviously dramatized. The cell phone vid looked entirely fake to me, but do any of us REALLY know? Nope. In fact, I don't buy any of the video personally. My daughter can make a pretty convincing video and she is 12. But facts are facts. We can hardly explain our own evolution let alone pretend to know what has evolved (and why) in the oceans that have been nothing but a mystery to us as a civilization since recorded history.

One thing science has shown us is that life finds a way and pops up in the most unlikely of places. One thing the show has shown us is that regardless of what has been evolving under our nose in the oceans for the past billion years or so, the navy is hurting them. Even if no merfolk exist, this seems to be an indisputable fact. So I guess we can all do what is expected and ignore the obvious while arguing over whether or not merfolk exist.

By the way, this is in fact my first post and please spare me being lumped in with all the other so-called 'fake accounts'. Very rarely do I actually go through the trouble of signing up during research but it was a shame to see the potential for such a rich conversation wrecked by somebody hanging around and letting everyone know how stupid everyone else is. Shame.

Edited by LotusEater, 28 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#66    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostLotusEater, on 28 May 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

So I was just doing my normal research the day after a mockumentary when I stumbled across this gem of a post. You may know what's going on in our oceans to an extent... people much stupider than you can read all the same things you do. To imply that you know even a small percentage of what is going on under the waves just completely blows any credibility that your overly inflated post count might manufacture for you. Let me just stress this again... You have no idea what is really going on under the waves, so best to stop pretending that you do.

Anyway, the show was obviously dramatized. The cell phone vid looked entirely fake to me, but do any of us REALLY know? Nope. In fact, I don't buy any of the video personally. My daughter can make a pretty convincing video and she is 12. But facts are facts. We can hardly explain our own evolution let alone pretend to know what has evolved (and why) in the oceans that have been nothing but a mystery to us as a civilization since recorded history.

One thing science has shown us is that life finds a way and pops up in the most unlikely of places. One thing the show has shown us is that regardless of what has been evolving under our nose in the oceans for the past billion years or so, the navy is hurting them. Even if no merfolk exist, this seems to be an indisputable fact. So I guess we can all do what is expected and ignore the obvious while arguing over whether or not merfolk exist.

By the way, this is in fact my first post and please spare me being lumped in with all the other so-called 'fake accounts'. Very rarely do I actually go through the trouble of signing up during research but it was a shame to see the potential for such a rich conversation wrecked by somebody hanging around and letting everyone know how stupid everyone else is. Shame.

Did I say I was an expert?

Join a forum and spend 8 years on it, and be active, and you would have a lot of posts also.

And, since you are so great at this, can you point me to where I said people are stupid?

What do I know about the Oceans.....Hmmmm

Where do I live?....What do most people do around here for a living?......Clue, it involves the Ocean.

One of my passions and favorite hobbies, Salmon fishing. I am active in it, and in learning about the populations and what is happening.

The potential for such a rich conversation?.......On a fake documentary?.....This discussion is on some people believing a mockumentary on Mermaids is real. If you call that a " rich conversation " then your idea of a good conversation and mine are diferent.

You ask " do any of us really know ", concerning if this is real.......Yes, some of us do know. It is fact, and it is obvious, and it is stated by Discovery channel.

Sorry to burst your fantasy, but the show is fiction, for entertainment purposes.

Thanks for letting me inflate my post count more......Like I give a **** about that.

Edited by Sakari, 28 May 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#67    LotusEater

LotusEater

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostSakari, on 28 May 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Did I say I was an expert?

Join a forum and spend 8 years on it, and be active, and you would have a lot of posts also.

And, since you are so great at this, can you point me to where I said people are stupid?

What do I know about the Oceans.....Hmmmm

Where do I live?....What do most people do around here for a living?......Clue, it involves the Ocean.

One of my passions and favorite hobbies, Salmon fishing. I am active in it, and in learning about the populations and what is happening.

The potential for such a rich conversation?.......On a fake documentary?.....This discussion is on some people believing a mockumentary on Mermaids is real. If you call that a " rich conversation " then your idea of a good conversation and mine are diferent.

You ask " do any of us really know ", concerning if this is real.......Yes, some of us do know. It is fact, and it is obvious, and it is stated by Discovery channel.

Sorry to burst your fantasy, but the show is fiction, for entertainment purposes.

Thanks for letting me inflate my post count more......Like I give a **** about that.

You obviously read the first paragraph and then flew into a rage ignoring the rest where I called it a mockumentary and basically discredited every vid they provided. I'm not the one fantasizing about having intimate knowledge of the ocean. I've worked on the ocean and I will tell you without hesitation that I have NO IDEA what is really going on under there and what was REALLY swimming under the boat. I won't say I ever saw anything resembling merfolk, that never happened. But the ocean is a weird, weird, WEIRD place. Maybe you are young and you really believe you understand the ocean and how it works and what is in the depths. I really believe that you believe that. But you don't and likely never will. Just like me.

Edited by LotusEater, 28 May 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#68    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostRafterman, on 29 May 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

I get the impression that there are at least 2 less people participating in this thread than it appears.

As to the mermaid show, put Jeremy Wade on it.  He'll get to the bottom of it.
He's getting to the bottom of the lochness monster hype for his season finale :tu:

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 28 May 2013 - 07:00 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#69    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostLotusEater, on 28 May 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

You obviously read the first paragraph and then flew into a rage ignoring the rest where I called it a mockumentary and basically discredited every vid they provided. I'm not the one fantasizing about having intimate knowledge of the ocean. I've worked on the ocean and I will tell you without hesitation that I have NO IDEA what is really going on under there and what was REALLY swimming under the boat. I won't say I ever saw anything resembling merfolk, that never happened. But the ocean is a weird, weird, WEIRD place. Maybe you are young and you really believe you understand the ocean and how it works and what is in the depths. I really believe that you believe that. But you don't and likely never will. Just like me.

View PostLotusEater, on 28 May 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

Hey, this is out of your reply :

Anyway, the show was obviously dramatized. The cell phone vid looked entirely fake to me, but do any of us REALLY know?

I guess I took that wrong, but understandibly so wouldn't you say.

Look, your first post on this forum was an attack on me. First impressions......

Again, I never said I was an expert, and I believe we are talking two different things here.

" what is happening to our oceans " ........ My replies are regarding how they are being polluted, over-fished, etc. I was replying to a reply that there is some Government conspiracy for the show, and that the Government does not want us to know about what is really happening to the Oceans. Maybe you missed that.

Of course no one knows what is down in the depths. We are still discovering new things all the time in the Oceans.

As for my age, it is stated right under my avatar.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#70    LotusEater

LotusEater

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostSakari, on 28 May 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Hey, this is out of your reply :

I guess I took that wrong, but understandibly so wouldn't you say.

Look, your first post on this forum was an attack on me. First impressions......

Again, I never said I was an expert, and I believe we are talking two different things here.

" what is happening to our oceans " ........ My replies are regarding how they are being polluted, over-fished, etc. I was replying to a reply that there is some Government conspiracy for the show, and that the Government does not want us to know about what is really happening to the Oceans. Maybe you missed that.

Of course no one knows what is down in the depths. We are still discovering new things all the time in the Oceans.

As for my age, it is stated right under my avatar.

I didn't attack you. I attacked your post. Post in a public place, face public scrutiny... right? If you don't want to be attacked for what you wrote, write it on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket.

I just go on alert when I see or hear people act like they have a line on the ocean and can predict it in any way, shape or form. That breeds complacency and that is not a good approach with dealing with the ocean on almost any level. Even wading ankle deep. I'm sure you've seen plenty of kids and feeble adults get pulled to the ground by a rip tide on shore. We... land dwellers... are the minority on this planet.

#71    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostLotusEater, on 28 May 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

I didn't attack you. I attacked your post. Post in a public place, face public scrutiny... right? If you don't want to be attacked for what you wrote, write it on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket.

I just go on alert when I see or hear people act like they have a line on the ocean and can predict it in any way, shape or form. That breeds complacency and that is not a good approach with dealing with the ocean on almost any level. Even wading ankle deep. I'm sure you've seen plenty of kids and feeble adults get pulled to the ground by a rip tide on shore. We... land dwellers... are the minority on this planet.

Good Point..... :tu:

As for the rest of our welcome to Um discussion. I hope you see the misunderstanding now.

I am, never have been, and doubt I ever will be an expert on the Oceans. I do know they are threatened, the ecological system, and we are killing it.

That is where I meant " If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, they are blind "

I would hope everyone new about how bad they are getting, and would hope some are actually concerned.

Anyway, welcome to UM.......be careful how you read things here, sometimes they do not read as the person typing it intended :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#72    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

dbl post

Edited by Sakari, 28 May 2013 - 07:29 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#73    terruss713

terruss713

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Why is it so difficult for people to agree that there may be things that have not yet been discovered.  Furthermore, discredit a acedemic based on there personal opinion not fact.  The net of the fisherman in the baltic sea clearly shows an arm and webbed hand reaching from the left to the right on the film.  The film from the Danish clearly shows a forearm and webbed hand slap the outside of the sub 2000 feet down.  The training of the coast guard seeing something go up to surface back down under the boat, if you slow motion the vidio you can see the ridges of the head of the "thing".  The subject also has indisputable evidence of audio.  So maybe they exist, maybe they don't, just remember we know more about the moon than our own ocean! :innocent: :hmm:

#74    LotusEater

LotusEater

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostSakari, on 28 May 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Good Point..... :tu:

As for the rest of our welcome to Um discussion. I hope you see the misunderstanding now.

I am, never have been, and doubt I ever will be an expert on the Oceans. I do know they are threatened, the ecological system, and we are killing it.

That is where I meant " If people do not know what is going on with our Oceans, they are blind "

I would hope everyone new about how bad they are getting, and would hope some are actually concerned.

Anyway, welcome to UM.......be careful how you read things here, sometimes they do not read as the person typing it intended :)

Thanks!  :)

I'm pretty sure we have very similar outlooks on this situation, so of course we would butt heads a little. Probably not the best way to introduce myself to a new forum but I'm pretty passionate about the earth and it's denizens and I get really nervous if I feel like people are underestimating the ocean. It appears in reading back that I did come off pretty combative and for that I apologize.

But since we on the subject of first impressions... well... your sig and the cat waiting to smack stupid people. Just sayin...

#75    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostLotusEater, on 28 May 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Thanks!  :)

I'm pretty sure we have very similar outlooks on this situation, so of course we would butt heads a little. Probably not the best way to introduce myself to a new forum but I'm pretty passionate about the earth and it's denizens and I get really nervous if I feel like people are underestimating the ocean. It appears in reading back that I did come off pretty combative and for that I apologize.

But since we on the subject of first impressions... well... your sig and the cat waiting to smack stupid people. Just sayin...

I guarantee we feel the same about our oceans, and our eco-system.....You may just see that on a number of my posts......Also, look at my signature.( that is on the bottom, the link )

As for the cat, and the other thing you read....Stick around a while, you will see what I mean.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

Also tagged with animal planet, mermaids, documentary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users