Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mermaids: The Body Found

animal planet mermaids documentary

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#91    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

Well, we do know that both whales and dolphins began life on land and adapted to life in the sea, so too Manatees and Seals. One wonders if maybe this is some sort of "Bigfoot" of the sea.

I haven't been able to watch the entire show, so I can't really comment on it.

#92    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 30 May 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Well, we do know that both whales and dolphins began life on land and adapted to life in the sea, so too Manatees and Seals. One wonders if maybe this is some sort of "Bigfoot" of the sea.

I haven't been able to watch the entire show, so I can't really comment on it.

That's an interesting theory, but in the case of MTBF, there's just no there there.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#93    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

Well, that was the theory that this show was putting forth, what bothered me was it was done in such a way as to come across as a real show, a sort of "Docufictional" story.

#94    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

My Question is why mermaids, Why not some other sea creature

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#95    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,458 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

Can this put an end to this show, and the new one please :)

Animal Planet's fake documentary draws real ire.

Animal Planet has raised quite a furor over its airing of the "speculative" documentary "Mermaids: The New Evidence." Capping its annual Monster Week, a network once known for safari shows and puppy bowls is turning over increasing amounts of its broadcast time to cryptozoology shows like "Lost Tapes," "Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real," and "Finding Bigfoot".
In fact, "Finding Bigfoot" was at the center of another, similar, controversy reported last year by Entertainment Weekly as TV critics turned skeptics, forced Animal Planet president Marjorie Kaplan to offer a vague defense of the show as "an exploration of the secret corners of the planet," since it lacks anything approaching hard evidence.
Should They Have Aired It?

Animal Planet has 3.6 million reasons (as in viewers!) why they should've.
There's really nothing wrong with using actors to re-enact scenes for a documentary. But where is the line? "Unsolved Mysteries" gives a framework for its actors to pretend they were criminals, but actors on "Mermaids" pretend they're scientists with nothing but a tiny caveat in the credits to suggest it's anything but 100% fact.
Animal Planet's first "Mermaids" installment, "Mermaids: The Body Found," garnered 3.4 million views during its U.S. telecast premiere on Sunday, May 27, 2012. After the airing, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had to release an official statement putting it, in unequivocal terms, "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found." Marine biologist David Shiffman wrote an article for Slate explaining why we should stop worrying about mythical sea life and focus on the damage being done to the sea life we know exists. He talks about fisheries where up to 90 percent of a catch is made up of unintended victims. Not the commercial fish, but "endangered sea turtles and sea birds as well as marine mammals."

more here   http://tv.yahoo.com/...-192009947.html

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#96    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 31 May 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Probably because most all the early sights were made by horny old sailors who'd been out at sea for months at a time. They could have had sex with a dolphin if they could have swam fast enough. Lack of sex will make you hallucinate.

#97    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,367 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:54 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 02 June 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

Probably because most all the early sights were made by horny old sailors who'd been out at sea for months at a time. They could have had sex with a dolphin if they could have swam fast enough. Lack of sex will make you hallucinate.

They would not have to swim all that fast, Dolphins are very promiscuous, and have raped people before. There is an ambiguous tale about Demi Moore being forced upon by a Dolphin on the net. Funny story about one man who was charged with Dolphin sex, he was eventually acquitted as the Dolphin in question was known to wrap it's penis around swimmers ankles and drag them out deeper in an attempt to mate with them.
Funny? Well yes, I know.

Posted Image

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 31 May 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Bewbs. I Wish Mermaids were real. Really I do.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#98    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

No, dolphins have been know to become excited rather easily and once they do age, species, gender go completely out the window. I've heard that same story only with a number of different actresses. Now! Here in South Carolina we have had a couple incidents where wild dolphins will come up and get close to people on the beach. Then someone begins touching and "petting the dolphin and all is great until someone hits the dolphin's "finger of friendship" then it's horny Flipper time.

#99    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 03 June 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

No, dolphins have been know to become excited rather easily and once they do age, species, gender go completely out the window. I've heard that same story only with a number of different actresses. Now! Here in South Carolina we have had a couple incidents where wild dolphins will come up and get close to people on the beach. Then someone begins touching and "petting the dolphin and all is great until someone hits the dolphin's "finger of friendship" then it's horny Flipper time.

Exactly, now if Mermaids were real, you would have all these soggy blokes down the pub and each one with bragging rights.

That is the point of sex isn't it? So you can tell you mates about it?

Then the natural predator of Mermaids would be the wife, and............. hang on, I might be onto something here..............................

Edited by psyche101, 03 June 2013 - 04:34 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#100    heather2311

heather2311

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I can't believe it was a mocumentary.. I actually believed it was real, my world has just collapsed! Wish I never read this thread :( silly me.

#101    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,367 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

View Postheather2311, on 13 June 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

I can't believe it was a mocumentary.. I actually believed it was real, my world has just collapsed! Wish I never read this thread :( silly me.

Posted Image

It's just that the producer achieved his goal. In interviews, he said he wanted it to appear as real as possible.

I am sure he would take your comment as a huge compliment.

#102    Erowin

Erowin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

View Postquestionsunanswered, on 28 October 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

Can someone please give me the name of the actor that played Dr. Paul Robertson?  I have been able to find on websites the name of the actor who played Paul Robertson in the imbedded "dramatic reenactments" of events, but not the one who narrated the show as "Dr. Paul Robertson."  I have found it impossible so far to ID this person.

Dr. Paul Roberston is played by Andre Weideman

http://www.imdb.com/..._=tt_cl_sm#cast

I'm sure there are some 'Paul Robertsons' out there with doctorates, but the man on this show was Andre the Actor. There is no 'actual' Dr. Roberston.

#103    Turtleguy

Turtleguy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

• A stupid question deserves a stupid answer

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

I believe the show was real and believe the animal, whatever it is, is real.

Turtle Power!

#104    Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Are you serious?  It's fake:

After the airing, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had to release an official statement putting it, in unequivocal terms, "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found."

#105    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

some one please give me a few hundred million dollars so i can go and do some real research .. i ll sail all the oceans and search for mermaids !

Also tagged with animal planet, mermaids, documentary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users