Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US military suicide rate hits one per day

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

"We are deeply concerned about suicide in the military," a Pentagon spokeswoman said, adding it was "one of the most urgent problems" they faced.
While the reasons for the increase are not entirely understood, the Defence department's own data suggest soldiers with multiple combat tours are at greater risk. But a portion of those taking their own life have never deployed, the figures show.
Suicide in the forces had levelled off during 2010 and 2011, but 2012 has seen the fastest pace since the US war in Afghanistan began in 2001.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-18371377

Edited by jugoso, 10 June 2012 - 05:50 AM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

The soldiers are the true victims of war. They're told to fight, they watch people die on a daily basis and when they return they're told 'thank for your service, now get over it.'

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#3    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

there surposed to kill the enemy not themselves!!

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,407 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

I supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I was furious, like most Americans, about 9-11.  I have since repented that sentiment regarding Iraq.  The soldiers did what they thought was right and they should be always treated with highest regard and given the help they now need.  But the ultimate way to honor them is to take away one of the greatest stressors there is in their service, that of multiple re-deployments.  If America needs to employ troops on foreign battlefields for extended periods of time to keep the nation safe then there should be no problem returning to a military draft.  If that reality is too painful for coward politicians to entertain then we shouldn't go to war...period.  We are literally using up the best of ourselves in these wars.  It's time for it to stop unless we are going to spread the burden around to all who are able to serve.  I even think the age limits should be re-examined.  If an older person has a skill that is critical whether in engineering or medicine or ANYTHING and they are in good enough health to serve in support roles for a couple of years then they should serve also.  I'd be willing to be an MRI tech in the service to free up some younger tech to serve closer(just as an example).  My point is that these people are dying because of abandonment and unfair demands being made on them.  If we don't act soon then stories like the one where the soldier murdered the innocents in Afghanistan will probably become more common.... they are human and they are breaking under the stress.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Also Sprach the Dogs of War.

A suicide rate twice the population at large, and many more thinking about it.

One cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear, yet so many in our society attempt to do so daily.  Perpetual futility.

Took the nation to war under fraud and deceit, and not even impeached.

#6    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostCradle of Fish, on 10 June 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

The soldiers are the true victims of war. They're told to fight, they watch people die on a daily basis and when they return they're told 'thank for your service, now get over it.'
They are not told to fight. They choose to fight. That is a significant difference, if you ask me.

#7    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• 1,387 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 10 June 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

They are not told to fight. They choose to fight. That is a significant difference, if you ask me.

Many choose to fight because in this country a college degree is very important to getting a better job and soldiers are given tuition assistance as well as earning money while in the service.  The way the job/education/consumer system works is bound to push more towards being in the military not because they want to go to war but because they want to support themselves, become skilled, and try to have a better life.

The problem is after the experience of war they come back and do not have the support and care that they need.  Many come back with post traumatic stress that is never treated.  I had a friend who suffered a brain lesion that wasn't discovered until 5 or more years after his 2nd tour in Iraq.  Lucky for him, he didn't have trouble getting taken care of... many veterans are denied care and pushed to the wayside.

There is no greater risk in life than doing nothing.

#8    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

If somebody joins the military, he has to expect to fight, kill, see terrible things, and might even get killed as well. It's the nature of the thing! No matter for why you chose to be a soldier.

The problem is that education became a business in your country. But that's a whole different topic.

Of course I believe that soldiers need psychological support after they have come back from a "tour" somewhere (of course you'll get problems when these kind of euphemisms are used), but how many are going to admit that it was to much for them? Most won't, because they do not want to be labeled a sissy or even worse by their comrades, who most likely suffer from the same problems.

#9    Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 10 June 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

They choose to fight. That is a significant difference, if you ask me.

I agree.  If you take a job and receive the benefits, you own the conseqences.

#10    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

A large portion of them choose to fight, Pat Tillman is an example, because he was utterly deceived by the government about the events of 11 September, the danger of Iraq, and the entire Global War On Terror that was pawned off on the american people and the world by the Military Industrial Complex.

#11    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• 1,387 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 11 June 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

The problem is that education became a business in your country.

Agreed... it's a huge problem.

#12    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,156 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 11 June 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

A large portion of them choose to fight, Pat Tillman is an example, because he was utterly deceived by the government about the events of 11 September, the danger of Iraq, and the entire Global War On Terror that was pawned off on the american people and the world by the Military Industrial Complex.

Are you still passing off opinion as fact, or did you know Pat Tillman personally?

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#13    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,845 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

There is too much stress on the soldiers.  It's not like the days before helicopters when it took much time to move troops to the sight of a battle.  Now they can fly them into one battle right after the other without enough time to recover from what they've been through.

#14    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• 1,387 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostBama13, on 11 June 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Are you still passing off opinion as fact, or did you know Pat Tillman personally?

His mom did... http://www.thenation...llman-our-hero#

It doesn't say he was deceived but that he was against the war.

Edited by karmakazi, 11 June 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#15    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thank you Karma.

One day perhaps Bama13 will become informed of recent historical events.  Pat Tillman quit a lucrative career with the NFL after the attacks of 11 September.  Little did he know they were a false flag operation meant to inflame the passions of the masses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users