Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Winchester Mystery House

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,074 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

The Winchester Mystery House
Posted Image
Click here to watch video - 04:40s

Built by rifle heiress Sarah Winchester, this mysterious mansion is said to be haunted by many spirits.

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,757 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

A very odd building indeed...

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,918 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Poor Sarah, driven to obsessive compulsive madness by a clearly fraudulent psychic who had nothing sensible to offer.

The house itself must have driven the workers a little mad as well, trying to keep pace with the nuttier and nuttier demands of their employer.  A sad story like that would make anyone think the energy there is pretty bad.

On a side note:  I wonder what "Feng Shui" practitioners would have to say about it all.

Edited by libstaK, 12 June 2012 - 11:49 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would love to visit the Winchester house; my parents have been a few times and my dad told me about it when I was a nipper - it made quite an impact!

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,120 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

I've visited the house before, but can't really say I felt anything unusual there. It is an interesting place, though, for sure.

Can be a headache to visit if you're taller than, say, 5'-3". :P

Edited by Lady Kasey, 12 June 2012 - 08:33 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

I visited it in 2004. I'm also a gun hobbyist. I found it fascinating that Sarah Winchester ordered that nothing resembling a firearm or cartridge be in or around the house. I kept looking for something resembling either, and found none.
Yet, she didn't feel so guilty that she denied the millions of dollars that sales by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. brought her, after Oliver Winchester died.
She could have denied most of the money, lived a humble life in a small house in San Jose, but noooooooooo ... had to have a massive mansion, dozens of servants, expensive trips, handmade furniture, etc.
She was a first-class hypocrite.
But the building is fascinating. The seance room is fascinating. It's worth visiting if you're in the area of San Jose or San Francisco.

#7    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 2,950 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Self fulfilling prophecy if I remember correctly. The day she stops construction is the day she will die.
I believe they stopped building on the day she passed away...
At least that's a brief of it anyways.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users