Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

75 per cent of Japanese whale meat 'unsold'

whale meat

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,646 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

The Institute of Cetacean Research, a quasi-public body that organises the country's whaling, said around 75 per cent of roughly 1,200 tons of minke, Bryde's and sei meat from the deep-sea mission did not find buyers.

It is separate from the smaller coastal whaling programmes in northern Japan, whose meat still attracts buyers because it is fresh – as opposed to frozen – and sold in regions with deep whale-eating traditions.

The institute held regular auctions between November and March to sell frozen meat from creatures caught in Northwestern Pacific waters last summer. It was intended to promote whale consumption and increase revenue.

A spokesman for the institute blamed the "disappointing" auction results on food sellers wishing to avoid trouble with anti-whaling activists.

http://www.telegraph...eat-unsold.html

Posted Image

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Well, you will always stop sickening practices by the economy being affected by the protests. Looks like next year it will just be slightly more expensive to hunt whales as the bill of this year has to be footed also.

Guess in 2 more years, should this trend continue, there will be no more economic footing for Japanese whale hunting, the damage to the Japanese image will take much longer to heal.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

What an absolute shame.....

Edited by BrianPotter, 14 June 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,382 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Which means in effect that Whales are being killed unecessarily..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

• "I have grown quite fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 June 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Well, you will always stop sickening practices by the economy being affected by the protests. Looks like next year it will just be slightly more expensive to hunt whales as the bill of this year has to be footed also.

Guess in 2 more years, should this trend continue, there will be no more economic footing for Japanese whale hunting, the damage to the Japanese image will take much longer to heal.

The Japanese image? The western world, especially the United States, consumes a ridiculous amount of meat. We raise, inject, and slaughter animals inhumanely, all in a factory atmosphere. We should work on our own image before we find the balls to critisize the Japanese habit of harpooning whales. It's all about perspective, I guess..

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

View PostLegaia, on 14 June 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

The Japanese image? The western world, especially the United States, consumes a ridiculous amount of meat. We raise, inject, and slaughter animals inhumanely, all in a factory atmosphere. We should work on our own image before we find the balls to critisize the Japanese habit of harpooning whales. It's all about perspective, I guess..

If they were harpooning whales it hardly would be a problem, they are setting off explosive charges in the animal that then dies slowly of the wounds sustained. That is slightly different than anesthetizing an animal (no matter if by electricity or other means) and after it cannot feel anything anymore open its jugular. Or as you say the industrial method.

Eating meat is what converted humans into slightly more intelligent animals than most of our primate cousins. But because we want to eat them that does not mean that we have have to torture them first.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

• "I have grown quite fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 June 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

If they were harpooning whales it hardly would be a problem, they are setting off explosive charges in the animal that then dies slowly of the wounds sustained. That is slightly different than anesthetizing an animal (no matter if by electricity or other means) and after it cannot feel anything anymore open its jugular. Or as you say the industrial method.

Eating meat is what converted humans into slightly more intelligent animals than most of our primate cousins. But because we want to eat them that does not mean that we have have to torture them first.

You must not be aware of the amount of animals that suffer in the meat industry. I can guarantee they outnumber the whales a thousand to one, to estimate conservatively.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostLegaia, on 14 June 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

You must not be aware of the amount of animals that suffer in the meat industry. I can guarantee they outnumber the whales a thousand to one, to estimate conservatively.

I have grown up on a farm, so please don't tell me your "suffering stories" most of our farm animals hardly would be able to survive without human aid because they have been conditioned by breeding over millennia to it. A stable cow that is not fed would most probably starve to death in a short time in the wild if not eaten by predators first. So please spare me your city boy laments. And the price the cows pay for living without care is being eaten. Sounds fair to me.

about me

#9    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 June 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I have grown up on a farm, so please don't tell me your "suffering stories" most of our farm animals hardly would be able to survive without human aid because they have been conditioned by breeding over millennia to it. A stable cow that is not fed would most probably starve to death in a short time in the wild if not eaten by predators first. So please spare me your city boy laments. And the price the cows pay for living without care is being eaten. Sounds fair to me.

I really do not care where you grew up, so I'm not sure how that or how my birthplace is relevant. Anyways, if we can continue the discussion as adults, you need to do more research. The vast majority of the meat found in stores comes from less than 20 buildings. That's right - less than 20. I respect anyone who runs a traditional farm, and I would eat a chicken from that setting without thought. That's not the issue. Traditional farms cannot support the absurdly high demand of meat. So spare me your backwoods hillbilly ignorance and do some research.

http://www.sustainab...ues/processing/

http://www.ers.usda....BSECoverage.htm

Here's a standard Tyson chicken factory. You may have heard of them. Their products are available at virtually every major gocer in the world.

**EDIT** - Serious language in the video.

Edited by Legaia, 14 June 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostLegaia, on 14 June 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

I really do not care where you grew up, so I'm not sure how that or how my birthplace is relevant. Anyways, if we can continue the discussion as adults, you need to do more research. The vast majority of the meat found in stores comes from less than 20 buildings. That's right - 20. I respect anyone who runs a traditional farm, and I would eat a chicken from that setting without thought. That's not the issue. Traditional farms cannot support the absurdly high demand of meat. So spare me your backwoods hillbilly ignorance and do some research.

http://www.sustainab...ues/processing/

http://www.ers.usda....BSECoverage.htm

Here's a standard Tyson chicken factory. You may have heard of them. Their products are available at virtually every major gocer in the world.

**EDIT** - Serious language in the video.

And I don't care about you PETA horror movies, I lived with those farm animals. And I can tell you that it is a 100% better life than out in the wild. But everything comes with a price.

about me

#11    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 June 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

And I don't care about you PETA horror movies, I lived with those farm animals. And I can tell you that it is a 100% better life than out in the wild. But everything comes with a price.

I think you're misunderstanding where my personal opinions are on this topic. You were raised on a farm, right? Am I right in assuming it was a traditional farm, run by a single family or a few families? Or were you raised in a slaughterhouse? I am not arguing with the standard farmer's ethics, I think that's how it should be done.

And if you can't agree with the immorality of the meat industry, I am sure you can agree with the unhealthiness of it? Ever notice how e. coli and salmonella outbreaks spread everywhere? The reason is because all of our meat comes from a very small number of buildings.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostLegaia, on 14 June 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

I think you're misunderstanding where my personal opinions are on this topic. You were raised on a farm, right? Am I right in assuming it was a traditional farm, run by a single family or a few families? Or were you raised in a slaughterhouse? I am not arguing with the standard farmer's ethics, I think that's how it should be done.

And if you can't agree with the immorality of the meat industry, I am sure you can agree with the unhealthiness of it? Ever notice how e. coli and salmonella outbreaks spread everywhere? The reason is because all of our meat comes from a very small number of buildings.

Well no, it was a ranch with up to 20.000 heads in high season, with attached slaughterhouse and meat processing plant. And believe me, as disgusting as some things in those places are they are very humane compared to this:

about me

#13    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 June 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

Well no, it was a ranch with up to 20.000 heads in high season, with attached slaughterhouse and meat processing plant. And believe me, as disgusting as some things in those places are they are very humane compared to this:

Well I guess they would be because the word "humane" doesn't apply to that video whatsoever. That's nature.

Edited by Legaia, 14 June 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#14    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostLegaia, on 14 June 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

This is true.

I've seen how the western world slaughters animals and treats them. It's far from humane.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostLegaia, on 14 June 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

Well I guess they would be because the word "humane" doesn't apply to that video whatsoever. That's nature.

Then I am proud to be part of nature and eat other animals. Stay in your plastic world.

about me

Also tagged with whale, meat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users