Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain's 'last witch': Campaign to pardon

Still Waters

Campaigners looking to clear the name of Britain's last convicted witch may apply for a judicial review.

Spiritualist Helen Duncan was convicted in 1944 under the Witchcraft Act for fear she would reveal military secrets during World War II.

Miss Duncan, from Callander near Stirling, was arrested in Portsmouth alongside three members of her audience as she conducted a seance.

In 2008, the Scottish Parliament rejected a petition to pardon her.

Almost 70 years after an Old Bailey jury found her guilty, campaigners maintain Miss Duncan was wrongfully convicted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-18456106

She was found with a broom,pointed hat and a cauldron though...well maybe not..

• Like 1

And they did use Alister Crowley as a big man in shadow intelligence ops in WWII days. Tsk tsk...

Helen Duncan was not convicted of witchcraft. The Witchcraft Act 1735 under which she was convicted dealt not with witchcraft but with 'people who falsely claimed to be able to procure spirits'.

Also, technically speaking, she was not the last. On the 26th.Sept.1944, Jane Yorke of Forest Gate was convicted on seven counts of "pretending...to cause the spirits of deceased persons to be present". Jane Yorke was only 'bound over', whereas Helen Duncan was imprisoned, which leads to the conclusion she was jailed in order to silence her.

• Like 2

Funny how the New Forest coven who attempted to raise a 'cone of power' on Lammas Day 1940 in order to to send Hitler and his generals telepathic thoughts to stay out of England were never arrested, isn't it? Witchcraft is witchcraft surely. Apparently, this was also performed in 1588 against the Spanish Armada, and in the 18th.Cent. against Napoleon, and lastly in 1971 in California against the war in Vietnam.

(I doubt it was the same witches in each case though!)

Edited 'cos I got me dates mixed up!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

Should be reintroduced, imo.

Last witch I was related to is still sticking pins in dolls and causing havoc.

(Edit to remove pic of ex mother-in-law in case she's watching)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

Should be reintroduced, imo.

Last witch I was related to is still sticking pins in dolls and causing havoc.

(Edit to remove pic of ex mother-in-law in case she's watching)

Put it back up..put it back up...lol