Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Gobekli Tepe Was Abandoned and Buried

chimaybliss

Gobekli Tepe is the oldest man-made structure ever found so far by archaeology but the site has posed huge questions about our ancient past. Perhaps most perplexing is why would our ancestors have actually buried the site? Was it to protect it or to erase the memory and construction of it? Check out new information about it:

http://goo.gl/Rbu28

• Like 2

Maybe for protection of the site? I don't know, honestly because of security or maybe...they were hiding something?

Belief's changing seems like the most logical explanation. I doubt we ever know for sure since they didn't leave a note.

I think its amazing they did this 7000 years ago. I have a feeling we don't give ancient people enough credit for what they were capable of.

Just a bit of detail - Gobekli Tepe is the earliest megalithic site currently documented. Earlier habitation structures have been verified, such as Monte Verde, Chile (circa 14,800 BP). While still a matter of ongoing research (and debate), the Molodova site (Ukraine) could present habitation structures that are notably older.

Belief's changing seems like the most logical explanation. I doubt we ever know for sure since they didn't leave a note.

I think its amazing they did this 7000 years ago. I have a feeling we don't give ancient people enough credit for what they were capable of.

Yeah I agree we don't give enough credit to them. But I can see this thread turning into an Ancient Alien debate...

(Humans couldn't have possibly done that without machinery! :sleepy: )

• Like 1

Gobekli Tepe is the oldest man-made structure ever found so far by archaeology but the site has posed huge questions about our ancient past. Perhaps most perplexing is why would our ancestors have actually buried the site? Was it to protect it or to erase the memory and construction of it? Check out new information about it:

correction it is said to be the oldest man made religious site ever made. there are older mounds and dwellings found all over the middle east. one of these is Jericho.

I think they wanted to preserve some of their legacy for generations to come. Especially if there was a lot of volcanic activity around the end of the ice age. Unfortunately too much time has passed and we don't know what it means anymore. Maybe more of it will be understood once the rest 90% of the site is revelead.

I would like to see some ancient sites that were not temples and such. it would be so cool if Göbekli Tepe rings were expensive state-of-the-art condos or hotel rooms. Stone Age 5 star hotel so to speak.

I think, given that there is evidence of both growth and downsizing on the site over it's centuries of use, a new more aggresively preached religion swept into the area displacing the original worshippers.

I think, given that there is evidence of both growth and downsizing on the site over it's centuries of use, a new more aggresively preached religion swept into the area displacing the original worshippers.

My thoughts exactly :tsu: We shouldn't assume that it was the builders who buried the site. The worshipers could have been displaced as mentioned or moved on and some one else buried the site because it didn't agree with their religion.

If someone else than the original builders buried the place, then why they left the whole structure intact? It's all there under the soil ready to use if and when the soil is removed. Wasn't it the custom of those uncivilized ancient times that hordes of bloodthirsty and hairy ape looking hunter-gatherer vandals stormed to a new land, took all the valuables, raped the women and killed every one in sight and sold or kept the rest for slaves? At least that we are told. Then why would these hairy caveman brutes carefully bury the temple of their enemies instead of just smashing it to pieces in a mindless frenzy?

To me it looks that there was far too much effort in the temple burial, if the new tribe hated the previous religion or wanted to hide the original religion. Simple destroy method is far more efficient in that case.

Edited by chrome3d

Gobeliki had served its purpose for longer than any religion had ever lasted and has ever lasted since, it was most probably buried out of respect for the past when the last priests had to give it up.

the Molodova site (Ukraine) could present habitation structures that are notably older.

What site is that?

Also hypothesis about monte verde are bad. At site they found 45 different plants used my Monteverdians and some of them originate 250 km. So these 30 people lived there and now and then one of them gone 250 km on long trip on foot to bring plants?

Furthermore hypothesis that they went to Chile near coast is based on speculation. They could got there with boat. Do you know did they found any bones there because that footprint maybe isnt from child. Maybe from hobbits?

I don't think it was abandoned and buried. I think other people with other beliefs took over the land at some point in time.

What site is that?

Also hypothesis about monte verde are bad. At site they found 45 different plants used my Monteverdians and some of them originate 250 km. So these 30 people lived there and now and then one of them gone 250 km on long trip on foot to bring plants?

Furthermore hypothesis that they went to Chile near coast is based on speculation. They could got there with boat. Do you know did they found any bones there because that footprint maybe isnt from child. Maybe from hobbits?

A quick brief. More information is readily available:

http://www.scribd.co...odova-I-Ukraine

http://www.sciencene...uilding_project

It should be noted that Demay's interpretation is still a matter of debate. For somewhat of a comparative, you may wish to consult Klein 1973.

The rest of your response does not make a great deal of sense. The site referenced is Monte Verde, Chile. The P. I. on this one was Tom Dillehay. You may wish to reference this site more closely.

I do like the hypothesis that a different religion supplanted the old one...it does make a great deal of sense. But the job to bury the entire site as they did would have been enormous...all most as big a job as actually building the temples. If destroying it was the intent of those who buried it, there would have been easier ways to do that. It's possible that those who built it were witness to this new religion sweeping the land, and gathered together themselves to preserve what they had build by burying it. They forsaw the inevitable fate of what they believed in, and sought to protect what they had created from those who would destroy it.

I'm sure that if they were that intelligent at the time they build that place then you have to believe that they were intelligent way before that time as well. Afterall, people didn't get smart at once. It happened slowly which means

that they had build something else way before they build the one at the present site in Turkey. The books will be rewritten over and over again until they get it right if at all possible.

If someone else than the original builders buried the place, then why they left the whole structure intact?

Rampant speculationing on my part, but it's possible that they respected it for what it was but wanted to move the people of this newly conquered/converted land on, but not by antagonising them overly. So bury the site rather then obliterate it. Even Stalin didn't knock down Saint Peter's Basilica, same thinking - move the people on by abandoning the site but not antagonise them by destroying it.

Here's a question, and pardon my ignorance, but how do we know that it was purposely buried? Various archiological site that have been discovered have had to have been dug out of the ground. Does not time tend to fill in spaces? Sandstroms could do this quite rapidly. Was there lack of erosion or some other evidence that led to the conclusion that it was buried on purpose?

Here's a question, and pardon my ignorance, but how do we know that it was purposely buried? Various archiological site that have been discovered have had to have been dug out of the ground. Does not time tend to fill in spaces? Sandstroms could do this quite rapidly. Was there lack of erosion or some other evidence that led to the conclusion that it was buried on purpose?

Did you ever see dirt going uphill? so the only explanation to a artificial summit on a hill is that somebody carried the dirt there. Besides that there is hardly any weather erosion on the stones, which indicates that they have been covered and never were exposed to the surrounding climate.

Hmmmmm there could be so many reasons, great topic by the way love it.

My guess would be religion too but there is maybe way, the people moved on due to weather, food, lack of water.

Iwould love to read more.

Again great topic :)

Did you ever see dirt going uphill? so the only explanation to a artificial summit on a hill is that somebody carried the dirt there. Besides that there is hardly any weather erosion on the stones, which indicates that they have been covered and never were exposed to the surrounding climate.

I've seen dirt going uphill on many an occasion (eve been in a sandstorm?) and endured one rather bad sandstorm that almost buried one building overnight, so yes, it is possible. Your comment on no erosion marks does make sense though.

Edited by NavyDoc

These are very good assumptions. I do agree that another religion could have taken over and buried it, but wouldn't it be much easier to destroy it if that was the case?

I came to a different conclusion recently with all the news about magnetic waves and alignments and all that other stuff with the planet changing. Could it be that all planets and stars and everything else in space is changing as well?

My point is, all these discoveries in the past century, could it be the reason these monuments always have been there, in another dimension, for example 4th dimension, and now that we are so close to getting there, this consciousness is allowing us to see what has been there all along.

Like I do not know how to explain it but if u seen the movie or read the book the Mist. The dimensions bumping into each other, so on earth we started to see creatures from the past. I know this movie is not fact, but fact is it is recorded throughout history that people have experience 3 days of complete darkness. Sounds like a black hole to me, and I heard something about a black hole being near us and might suck us in? And since no one really knows what a black hole does, I am just assuming that it doesn't destroy us but may be in part of our evolution into a higher dimension.

Edited by epiffanie

Well there is a possibility that, given the site was built on and over a couple of times in it's past, the worshippers covered the old site over themselves with grand plans of building something new there and then all died of a passing plague, Or the religion became more nature based and the decided that all they needed to worship and connect with their belief system was a nice big tree so buried the site and planted a tree there,

My thoughts are the site was buried by a invadeing force and they are not dating that site right. Hunters and gatherers could not have just come out of the woods 11,000 years ago to build something that perfect, when theres a evolution of architictural design and how it relates to another culture, in the rough

Look familer? Both are Identical. The one on the Menorca (Balearic Islands - Spain) dates to 2000 bc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramonduran/1638591805/

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/multimedia/photos/?articleID=30706129&c=y

Edited by docyabut2