Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Scientists predict time will stop completely

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,901 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

The theory of time running out was devised by researchers from two Spanish universities trying to explain why the universe appeared to be spreading continuously and accelerating.

Observations of supernovae, or exploding stars, found the movement of light indicated they were moving faster than those nearer to the centre of the universe.

But the scientists claimed the accepted theory of an opposite force to gravity, known as dark energy, was wrong, and said the reality was that the growth of the universe was slowing.

Professor Jose Senovilla, Marc Mars and Raul Vera from the University of the Basque Country and the University of Salamanca said the deceleration of time was so gradual, it was imperceptible to humans.

http://www.telegraph...completely.html

Posted Image

#2    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,503 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

This is interesting. A sort of entropy for time. Or, as space and time are inseparable, as space stretches, why wouldn't time stretch as well?

Edited by StarMountainKid, 18 June 2012 - 02:26 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#3    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Oh wow, time is an amazing concept.

#4    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Wait, does this mean that we'll all just freeze completely if their theory is correct? (Emphasis on "is")

#5    DarkMatterDisturbance

DarkMatterDisturbance

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• We all move within endless circles. Therefore...when we are done with one circle, another circle will begin to take shape. (o)

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

I kind of have a problem with this theory. Time only exists because we exist. Doesn't it? I mean, who's telling any kind of time if there's not someone there to count it? What would time be without someone or something to count it? Questions, questions, questions. Maybe the question should be - Does time really exist at all?

#6    chezarelli

chezarelli

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Time is only relevant to living things it needs to be observed to be real it already has stopped for millions

#7    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 18 June 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

This is interesting. A sort of entropy for time. Or, as space and time are inseparable, as space stretches, why wouldn't time stretch as well?

From the story it sounds like the scientists believe time to be a dimension of space. In the philosophy of time that is one of the stances but the other is that time is human perception. I should point out that neither has been proven correct.

Until that is resolved I take every idea about time with a pinch of salt as we might really be talking about mental effects.

#8    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

all natural things are in cycles your born you live you die we see this in all things its only a matter of when (when explaining there is a set "time" at sum point)~~at this point i would advise you to do several hits of acid an smoke sum realy good pot to completly understand the meaning of time you have to let your mind go an flow free beyound any understanding of the known reasons of why something like this is what it is~~~  defineing time... from point a to point b it takes so long to go the distance between there for we call it time distance travled such is all things known to man in cycles from a starting point to a ending point and repeting the cycle we dont realy know but can only guess  what we call time realy is  but yet as beings with thinking minds at work we see at sum point  it started and at some other point it will stop we guess it doesnt realy matter the area between the 2 points becouse what can seem like a life time can only be a matter of moments when in the true point of it the spanding of a distance may realy be as a a single spark from 2 or many things bursting apon collision at once  if you stand at the edge of the eventhorizen a single moment can seem to go on an on and on
when as depending on how your mind sees what your looking at it can be as if it wasnt realy there in the first place.........

Edited by justcalmebubba, 19 June 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#9    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postjustcalmebubba, on 19 June 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

all natural things are in cycles your born you live you die we see this in all things its only a matter of when (when explaining there is a set "time" at sum point)~~at this point i would advise you to do several hits of acid an smoke sum realy good pot to completly understand the meaning of time you have to let your mind go an flow free beyound any understanding of the known reasons of why something like this is what it is~~~  defineing time... from point a to point b it takes so long to go the distance between there for we call it time distance travled such is all things known to man in cycles from a starting point to a ending point and repeting the cycle we dont realy know but can only guess  what we call time realy is  but yet as beings with thinking minds at work we see at sum point  it started and at some other point it will stop we guess it doesnt realy matter the area between the 2 points becouse what can seem like a life time can only be a matter of moments when in the true point of it the spanding of a distance may realy be as a a single spark from 2 or many things bursting apon collision at once  if you stand at the edge of the eventhorizen a single moment can seem to go on an on and on
when as depending on how your mind sees what your looking at it can be as if it wasnt realy there in the first place.........

#10    Bildr

Bildr

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• “Enlightenment is not imagining figures of light but making the darkness conscious.” -Carl Gustav Jung

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

‎"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
-Einstein

#11    Khaleid

Khaleid

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

After reading this article, I remain with a couple of questions...

They say that light moves slower near the center of the universe (hence, time moves faster there). Perhaps they could extrapolate these observations and tell us where this center is located?

Also, since according to their theory time decelerates towards the outskirts of the universe, wouldn't this indicate that time is not constant throughout it, and that time would only stop at the edge instead of the entire universe ending in a snapshot?

Evidence is a fact or situation that suggests something might be true. Proof is a fact or situation that removes all doubt. Sometimes more than one evidence can add up to proof.

" Well, the earth died screaming, while I lay dreaming " -- Tom Waits

#12    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

If time is a spatial dimension and if it were to stop then would we cease to exist? Is time dimensional or perceptional or both?

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#13    Faizyal

Faizyal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Time is just a state of mind that us humans created,to organize our day to day life. To believe that CRACKPOT theory is just plain stupid...

#14    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 19 June 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

If time is a spatial dimension and if it were to stop then would we cease to exist? Is time dimensional or perceptional or both?

If time is mind then theres a huge problem in science.

Time is used in a lot of formulas meaning the mind is determining how things work. Its used in gravity too so you have your mind connected to a force of nation. That paves the way for telekinesis.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 19 June 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,218 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

That would mean, my guess,  everything including atoms would stop moving. No more kinetic energy. It is kind of hard to wrap my head around, but who knows, that is one of many outcomes for the Universe. .

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users