Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Scientists predict time will stop completely

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#121    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostBlizno, on 26 June 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Alas, you don't know that "your" IS NOT "you are" and that "their" IS NOT "they are", sigh.
I also doubt that the Universe exists based on "principals".

"Principles", on the other hand, seem far more likely to be responsible for the Universe as we know it.

#122    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,976 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

chezarelli said:

you know how the universe actually operates and is all mathematic but you know your wrong but you actually don't understand all
the principals behind it that they have not even discovered yet but you know their wrong as well ?

Well, I devised this Discalimer of mine from a helpful Supulchrave post (all Sepulchrave posts are helpful and knowledgeable), because I admit I am not a theoretical physicist, and my knowledge of science is limited to layman's information that I have learned through the years. I use my limited knowledge and my imagination to develop ideas of my own that most likely are not a description of how the universe actually operates.

I think others who lack a rigorous scientific education speculate as I do. These are our personal thought experiments. I don't think this a bad thing if our personal hypotheses are an honest method to try to gain a better understanding. Holding on to our speculations without facts to back them up is different.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#123    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,976 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Sepulchrave said:

How can you say that they experience their ``present moments'' simultaneously?

In the two light scenario, Observer A sees the left and right lights flash at the same time.  Observer B sees these lights flash one hour apart, as you say.

If both observers are in the same space-time frame of reference, it doesn’t matter when they see the lights flash by their clocks. A will say he sees the lights flash “now” at 12:00. B sees the lights flash later, one hour apart, say beginning at 2:00.

When A sees the lights flash he experiences “now” at the same moment B experiences “now”, the only difference is B hasn’t seen the lights flash yet. When B sees the first light flash, his “now” is still the same as A’s “now”.  The same applies when B sees the second light flash one hour later.

By their clocks these “now” moments of the flashes are out of sync, but both being in the same time zone, so to speak, their “nows” are always the same, irregardless of when they see the lights flash by their clocks.

One could say when they see the lights flash it is “now”, and these “nows” are out of synch, but at what time by their clocks they see the flashes does not alter their in-synch “nows”.

When B sees the lights flash later than A, his “now” is still coinciding with A’s “now”, he just sees the lights later that A does.

#124    chezarelli

chezarelli

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 26 June 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Well, I devised this Discalimer of mine from a helpful Supulchrave post (all Sepulchrave posts are helpful and knowledgeable), because I admit I am not a theoretical physicist, and my knowledge of science is limited to layman's information that I have learned through the years. I use my limited knowledge and my imagination to develop ideas of my own that most likely are not a description of how the universe actually operates.

I think others who lack a rigorous scientific education speculate as I do. These are our personal thought experiments. I don't think this a bad thing if our personal hypotheses are an honest method to try to gain a better understanding. Holding on to our speculations without facts to back them up is different.
i see just asking why you posted an example then retracted your whole idea/ concept/theory i would not say you held on to it to long or faced to much ridicule
i thought it was a good example i to am not  qualified  and speculate on quantum theory i am not deterd so quickly as 90% of the people on this site cant post undeniable
evidence against most theory's they to speculate against speculation in some areas especially time

#125    logan valenti

logan valenti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 18 June 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

This is interesting. A sort of entropy for time. Or, as space and time are inseparable, as space stretches, why wouldn't time stretch as well?

#126    logan valenti

logan valenti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Time would stretch its just that as the universe expands it would eventually rip space and time even if time survived after the universal expantion the universe would get smaller and crunch with time crushing with it

#127    logan valenti

logan valenti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 26 June 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

You don't need knowledge you need to ask. Asking brings knowledge to you

Edited by logan valenti, 26 June 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#128    logan valenti

logan valenti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 19 June 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Wait, does this mean that we'll all just freeze completely if their theory is correct? (Emphasis on "is")

#129    logan valenti

logan valenti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

No if there's no time than there is probably no space either sooo if there's no time than there's a big probability that everyone is dead

#130    TattooMommy28

TattooMommy28

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• In the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair.....

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

This is b.s. I dont care what they say

#131    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,989 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

JuniorChubb predicts this thread will never stop.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#132    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,976 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

chezarelli said:

you know how the universe actually operates and is all mathematic but you know your wrong but you actually don't understand all
the principals behind it that they have not even discovered yet but you know their wrong as well ?

I see what you mean. I don't say I know how the universe actually operates, and I'm not sure I'm wrong, but I probably am, and I don't know the all the principles behind it, and I didn't say I know they are wrong. I'm just trying to understand things better by asking speculative questions.
and;

i see just asking why you posted an example then retracted your whole idea/ concept/theory i would not say you held on to it to long or faced to much ridicule
i thought it was a good example i to am not  qualified  and speculate on quantum theory i am not deterd so quickly as 90% of the people on this site cant post undeniable
evidence against most theory's they to speculate against speculation in some areas especially time

I don't think I retracted anything. I am not deterred quickly, as I keep bothering Sepulchrave and others until I am satisfied I understand the subject a little better.  I agree that we mostly speculate against speculation around here. This is one reason people come here, I think.

Anyway, thanks for responding to my posts, it's been an helpful conversation.

Junior Chubb said:

JuniorChubb predicts this thread will never stop.

Yeah, time is such an ethereal thing that effects everyone, so it's wide open to speculative interpretation. I think Einstein had the best definition: "Time is what we measure by our clocks." I think he said that. I could be wrong there, too.

#133    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,099 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Time can't begin or end. I suppose at the end of the universe ( if there is such a thing) if there is no potential for change in anything, then time might be considered ended. But obviously PRE BB there was a potential for change, and there is no reason to assume there won't be another one. It's a bit  presumtuouse to declare absolutes when we have boundaries of available knowledge. So arrogant.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#134    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 26 June 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

One could say when they see the lights flash it is “now”, and these “nows” are out of synch, but at what time by their clocks they see the flashes does not alter their in-synch “nows”.

When B sees the lights flash later than A, his “now” is still coinciding with A’s “now”, he just sees the lights later that A does.
I don't really understand your definition of ``now'', I guess.

For me, ``now'' is inextricably linked to the concept of ``the present'', which I define as the space-time hypersurface with a common time coordinate, based on my reference frame.

Someone moving with a relative velocity to me will have a different time coordinate, and therefore define the present as a different hypersurface.

Our two hypersurfaces could coincide at a few points, but not at every point. Therefore somethings that seem to be happening in my present could seem to happen in the past (or future) for a different observer.

Yes, every event has a unique point in space-time, and with complete information about that point every observer would compute the same space-time interval (with respect to some arbitrary, but common, reference point) - but for me ``now-ness'' is only a property of the time coordinate.

#135    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

Okay so i guess its safe to say at sum point its all circleing the drain((blackhole)) thenonce the "suck factor" is over  we'll come out the other side in 1 very large clump of goo and since most this we know at sum point repeat  it self one could only hope or have faith in the thought life will restart and at some point in the future's future we'll all be reading this post again at sum point right???
  NOTE TO FUTURE SELF...do not marry that damn harpy ~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users