Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Acid rain all but eliminated over Britain

acid rain margaret thatcher britain

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,614 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Acid rain over Britain has been all but eliminated 25 years after Margaret Thatcher launched a major bid to cut sulphur emissions, a study has found.

A new report on Britain's environment found that levels of sulphur in our atmosphere have dropped 90 per cent compared with their peak level in the 1950s, thanks to measures to control emissions from coal-fired power stations in the 1980s.

Now a similar political drive is needed to tackle the problem of nitrogen emissions from cars, power stations and farms and prevent the pollution from killing off wild flowers, experts said.

Having too much nitrogen in the atmosphere over-fertilises the Earth and allows grasses and weeds such as nettles to flourish, causing the disappearance of wild flowering plants.

The warning came in a new report led by the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, which analysed how the chemical climate of the UK has changed in recent decades.

http://www.telegraph...er-Britain.html

Posted Image

#2    Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

This would be funny if it weren't so sad that people believe these propaganda companies.

"Having too much nitrogen in the atmosphere over-fertilises the Earth and allows grasses and weeds such as nettles to flourish, causing the disappearance of wild flowering plants."

Most people will actually read that and believe it.

I can hear them at dinner parties  "Darling.  Carbon is sooooo 2008.  I'm reducing my Nitrogen footprint now".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users