Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Revellers mark solstice at Stonehenge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,845 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Crowds gathering at Stonehenge for this year's summer solstice were met with grey skies and rain.

BBC News said:

Thousands of people have gathered at Stonehenge to celebrate the summer solstice despite overcast skies.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,291 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostSaru, on 22 June 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Crowds gathering at Stonehenge for this year's summer solstice were met with grey skies and rain.
  I guess the Druids missed it , shame , another year over and deeper in debt..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,259 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for posting the celebration at Stonehenge.  I was going to go to one here, but it is too hot and buggy this time of year in Florida to play outside.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    ChloeB

ChloeB

Government Agent

• 4,050 posts

• “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” — Leonardo da Vinci

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

I was sunny here, but also started to rain and I looked up in the blue sky and there was a huge rainbow all the way across.  I hadn't seen one in awhile and not one that big in forever.  A cool thing to see on the solstice and gave me a good feeling.

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

#5    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,717 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Wish I could have been there. It was a miserable winter's day here. Only about 15 degrees c and lots of rain . Wait a minute, doesn't sound much different there. It was the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere,right? :devil:
Actually, having read the story I am glad i wasn't there. Modern people spoil such events. I would have liked to be there the day before or after and enjoy the site,  history and atmosphere, as it was designed to be appreciated.

Edited by Mr Walker, 23 June 2012 - 12:07 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#6    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

what a bummer

#7    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

Must admit, I was sad to see that there was (in my opinion) disrespect/thoughlessness in getting up and standing on the stones.

(there's a photo here )  http://photoblog.msn...stonehenge?lite

In 1999, when I was priveleged to be allowed in on a Solstice with a small Pagan group, it was, just magical. But we treated the site with respect, no clambering about on a World Heritage Site, acting like 5 year olds. You don't have to stand on top of anything, to appreciate the special nature of the site, or its energy. Sorry to sound like a stuffed shirt, but it is how I personally feel about it xx :blush:

Edited by sarah snow, 23 June 2012 - 04:21 AM.

A stumbling block is merely a stepping stone you tripped over

#8    DeathRain2012

DeathRain2012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

• There's some **** out there bro.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I would just throw down right there. huge peer pong tournament at stone henge.

#9    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

View Postsarah snow, on 23 June 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

Must admit, I was sad to see that there was (in my opinion) disrespect/thoughlessness in getting up and standing on the stones.

(there's a photo here )  http://photoblog.msn...stonehenge?lite

In 1999, when I was priveleged to be allowed in on a Solstice with a small Pagan group, it was, just magical. But we treated the site with respect, no clambering about on a World Heritage Site, acting like 5 year olds. You don't have to stand on top of anything, to appreciate the special nature of the site, or its energy. Sorry to sound like a stuffed shirt, but it is how I personally feel about it xx :blush:

View PostDeathRain2012, on 07 July 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

I would just throw down right there. huge peer pong tournament at stone henge.

As much as I agree with sarah snow, historical sites should not be desecrated but treated with respect, I also understand that people who want to party at these places are also looking for a sense of spirituality. They obviouslly had no great examples but the human body is such that it will bubble out in various forms, many more benign, but this is the eventual outcome so I won't condemn it harshly.

#10    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

meh, same old.

wonder what its really for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users