Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Man receives call from 1980

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
Belinda Bentley: Jake E. from Spokane, Washington put in a call to HPI and spoke with Paul Dale Roberts. Paul informed me there was an interesting story here and I should give him a call. It definitely is an interesting story! Headline: Man Receives a Call From 1980. At 3:33am Jake saw he had a missed call. It was from a private number. He looked at the time and it was "Dead Time." (3:00am - a time when the veil thins between the spirit world and ours. It's a time when nightmares happen or a time when you are most likely to have a prophetic dream. For paranormal investigators it could be a great time to get EVPs.) This isn't strange or unusual, but then he looks at the date. The date is Monday, March 10, 1980...last century. The call came from 32 years ago.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

Interesting.

#3    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

32-year old phone calls show up in our phones today...freaky and totally paranormal. Keep in mind, Cell phones in 1980 was in their infancy stage. I was like a month old myself at that time, but imagine if I called my parents 32 years ago from now? "Hey Mom and Dad, how are ya? Things are going good in 2012. See you later...in 32 years."

Edited by Mike the Autist-ic, 26 June 2012 - 12:29 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#4    KNash

KNash

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

• "We learn from failure, not from success!" - Bram Stoker (Dracula)

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

I've heard of people receiving phone calls near the time of a loved one's death or even months after someone has passed away. But 32 years later? Strange.

Posted Image

"We learn from failure, not from success!" - Bram Stoker (Dracula)

#5    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm kind of disappointed. There doesn't seem to be much to this story. I was hoping that a message was left, or something other than a date from 1980 being displayed on the missed calls section of the guy's phone.

I admit it'd throw me off a bit if I had it happen, but ultimately I think I would view it as nothing more than a glitch.

#6    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,789 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

I had something similar happen a few months ago.  A couple of emails came in dated from 1960. lol But i know who sent them and figured it was just a weird gmail glitch.

#7    sherri64

sherri64

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• Scaring America one haunting at a time.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Ghosts have the ability to violate the rules of physics in that they do things that are unnaturally possible. Regular everyday people experience paranormal activity and celebrities are now opening up about strange and unexplainable events in their life.

*snip*

Edited by Saru, 26 June 2012 - 05:20 PM.
Removed links

#8    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

this is a total non story, very disapointing

TCB

#9    pbarosso

pbarosso

Psychic Spy

• 1,000 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

bunch of crap, just a story written by some wannabe author.

the pursuit of knowledge will force you to pick a side. Choose wisely.
                                                --me

#10    GoldenRabbit

GoldenRabbit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

So theres no evidence apart from a mobile phone that says there is a missed call recieved on whatever date 1980? I would think software glitch on one of the phone providers servers, I dont know about other countries but here in Australia some of the Tech support and customer service you can recieve leaves allot to be desired.

Go The Bunnies :)

#11    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I would imagine a software glitch would be the most likely explanation; we often see some very strange dates on documents saved on the shared drive in my office.

I did like the bit about Herman Tarnower though, it amused me that the chap found mention of a murder that had occurred on the date in question and, despite having no connection in any other way to the story, decided that this could be the source of the message.

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,815 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

If I were a ghost who had passed away in 1980 ....

- I would not know the first thing about digital technology or how to manipulate it to get a message onto someone's phone
- I would not send a message to a stranger who wouldn't have a hope in Hades of figuring out what just happened
- I sure as heck would say something if I did figure out that much about technology not just leave a "missed call"

The biggest best and most important - I would be one of approx oh 500 million folk who died world wide that year (or is it 50 million?) anyway a huge number, so I would be laughing myself silly at the person receiving the message who claimed to nail it down to just one stranger's name

Edited by libstaK, 27 June 2012 - 11:07 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Interesting story, but I think it's probably a hoax. I mean there's absolutely no evidence that it really happened, anybody can create this kind of story.

And come on, why would "Ghosts" or "Spirits" communicate with us by phone !? Give me a break.

People believing that ghosts are behind that phone call are way off. I think it's really laughable.

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,521 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

The simple explanation (that has come up years ago) is that the radio waves created by the phone 32 years ago went off into space, hit a celestial object (an asteroid or planet) and were bounced back to earth and was picked up by a phone,which happened to be on the same frequency at the moment the incoming radio waves came back...( sorry you paranormal people, no ghosts or other phenomenon,its a known fact ). Radio Hams had this problem  a long time ago..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 27 June 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

If I were a ghost who had passed away in 1980 ....

that sounds like a new game on UM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users