Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sea-level rise accelerates faster on US east

sea level global warming east coast

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,287 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

New Scientist said:

Sea level rise off the US east coast is accelerating up to four times faster than the global average. The finding confirms model predictions that the east coast will bear the brunt of the unevenly rising waters. It also suggests that a major Atlantic current may be slowing down, which could see temperatures drop in Europe.

The "hotspot" of rising sea levels extends over 1000 kilometres from Cape Hatteras in North Carolina to Boston, Massachusetts, and possibly further north into Canada. It was identified by Asbury Sallenger and colleagues at the United States Geological Survey in St Petersburg, Florida, using tide gauge data from 1950 to 2009.

News of the hotspot may come as a surprise in North Carolina, where the state Senate recently passed a bill forbidding the use of models that include accelerating sea level rise. The bill has since been rejected by the state's House of Representatives.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users