Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Response being sent to Wow! signal

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,080 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

A team from the National Geographic are working to respond to the famous 1977 transmission.

MSNBC said:

If there's something you'd like to say to aliens, now's your chance. The Wow! signal, a mysterious radio transmission detected in 1977 that may or may not have come from extraterrestrials, is finally getting a response from humanity.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Why now?

Also I thought they said it was just a natural noise a while back?

Edited by Coffey, 26 June 2012 - 11:05 AM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    chainsawcam

chainsawcam

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

any reason to wait 35 years before replying?

#4    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,156 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

View Postchainsawcam, on 26 June 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

any reason to wait 35 years before replying?
We are Americans, the biggest procratinators on the planet.  :D

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#5    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

If it was an advanced civilization, they would gain nothing from us. Might use us as pets (dibs on being a kitty), or a zoo. We can offer them nothing. Perhaps we could offer to trade universal knowledge and compare data. However, the likely hood that they're even remotely close to us is slim to none and this Wow noise is actually a natural noise..

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,925 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

So they intend to send our personal messages and hope the "Alien Scientists" have better luck decoding them than we have the WOW signal.  Actually, I hope they don't stand a chance decoding it, can you imagine what some folk are gonna be saying? I'd rather not be associated with them kind of sound bites on a cosmic scale if you don't mind Mr National Geographic, hmm.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Holter

Holter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• If it's out there we'll find it :-)

and kill it :-(

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Warning: Young, violent, savage race. Keep away.

#8    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,783 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

If the WOW signal was something of intelligent origin and we reply to it now, we'll all be dead before there's another response.
Also, the little green guys on the planet that sent it probably assumed there was nothing here when we failed to reply - 35 years would would be a long time monitoring and infinitesimally small area of space.
Some other earth-like planet probably replied promptly and reaped the benefits anyway...

#9    Crypto2357

Crypto2357

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I dont know, I would hope a civilization more advanced than ours would send something other then "WOW".

#10    thewatchman7

thewatchman7

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

• like joseph stalin, and ghandi,
    im the cult of personality!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostCrypto2357, on 26 June 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I dont know, I would hope a civilization more advanced than ours would send something other then "WOW".

i dont beleive it was an actual "WOW" i think that was hand written next to the signal anomly

#11    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,783 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

It's OK, they sent it in 'Times New Roman' font. If it was in Comic Sans I would begin to question their level of intelligence...

Posted Image

#12    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,100 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

They've only just got round to it? I think frankly I'd have got fed up waiting for a reply by now. Particualalry since, wherever it came from, it would probably have taken several years to get here, and so would our reply take to get to wherever they're thinking of sending it to.

Edited by 747400, 26 June 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#13    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

View Post747400, on 26 June 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Um.. that was 30 years ago. They've only just got round to it? I think frankly I'd have got fed up waiting for a reply by now. Particualalry since, wherever it came from, it would probably have taken several years to get here, and so would our reply take to get to wherever they're thinking of sending it to.

That can be our excuse for taking so long to reply though. We lie and say we replied straight away... It just takes ages to get back. lol

Actually we shouldn't start a new friendship (if we made one) by lying. But they might presume we are further awya if we don't mention the date of recieving it and replying. Might save ourselves if they are more advanced and not intrested in being friends. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#14    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,831 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Just say We tried ! ANd by the way  , What plan are youz guys on were on ATT, I bet you guys have Verizon or something better ,right ?
Well anywho ! We did recieve the pizza`s and they were cold as you must of known ! So this time send us directions back to your planet !
I promise were a very Happy and Peaceful beings ! You can ask anyone !
signed "JUST DONTEATUS"

This is a Work in Progress!

#15    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hahaha ... thanks for the chuckle :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users