Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pulsed Nuclear Fusion Propulsion

pulsed nuclear fusion future propulsion

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,164 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

Scientists developing pulsed nuclear fusion system for distant missions

phys.org said:

The ticket to Mars and beyond may be a series of nuclear slapshots that use magnetic pulses to slam nuclei into each other inside hockey pucks made of a special, lightweight salt.

A physics team from The University of Alabama in Huntsville's Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering soon will take delivery of a specialized system to see if they can "Z-pinch" a tiny bit of that salt into the heart of a star.

“We are trying to develop a small, lightweight pulsed nuclear fusion system for deep space missions,” explained Dr. Jason Cassibry, an associate professor of engineering at UAHuntsville. “If this works we could reach Mars in six to eight weeks instead of six to eight months.”

In hockey, a slapshot digs the head of the hockey stick into the ice to bend the shaft, like an archer’s bow, storing energy for a sharper snap against the puck and drive it down the ice rink. Cassibry and his team will attempt to drive a hollowed-out puck in on itself, fusing lithium and hydrogen atoms and turning a little of their mass into pure energy.

Posted ImageRead more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

warp speed engage!!!

#3    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sounds like project Orion all over again.

#4    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

More like 2001 propulsion system the movie.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,164 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postskookum, on 28 June 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Sounds like project Orion all over again.

Orion would have used fission not fusion. In using small nuclear bombs it would also have produced a much greater acceleration, albeit over a shorter period of time. Orion would have required massive shock absorbers between the pusher plate and the crew compartment to protect the crew from the massive jolt produced by each detonation.

This form of nuclear propulsion is more akin to ion drive in that it produces small, gentle acceleration over long periods of time.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 28 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,260 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Could we see the 'Kessel Run record' smashed at last?

#7    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

The current system of propulsion is as out of date as horses.

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,164 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postjgorman628, on 28 June 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

The current system of propulsion is as out of date as horses.

In what way? It still works. There are many different proposals on the table for replacing rocket propulsion but, with the exception of ion propulsion, they all have one thing in common, they haven't been shown to work yet (and many of these proposed systems such as ion propulsion and the fusion propulsion described in the original article will still rely on rockets to haul them into orbit).

A system only becomes out-dated when there is something better to replace it. Horses were made out-dated by the internal combustion engine. A century on and the internal combustion engine still reigns supreme. For this reason rockets are no more out-dated than the internal combustion engine is.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 June 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

A system only becomes out-dated when there is something better to replace it.
dont you mean obsolete.

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,164 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postserial slasher, on 28 June 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

dont you mean obsolete.
I know exactly what I mean, thank you.

outdated [ˌaʊtˈdeɪtɪd] [i]adj[/] old-fashioned or obsolete

Source: The Free Dictionary

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 5,260 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

While the combustion engine is being mentioned, anyone any idea how much horse-power Pulsed Nuclear Fusion Propulsion would produce?

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,164 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 28 June 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

While the combustion engine is being mentioned, anyone any idea how much horse-power Pulsed Nuclear Fusion Propulsion would produce?
Not much in comparison to a chemical rocket, but power isn't really the point. It's the fact that the engine continues to accelerate the vehicle for weeks on end that makes it so effective.

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 5,260 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 June 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Not much in comparison to a chemical rocket, but power isn't really the point. It's the fact that the engine continues to accelerate the vehicle for weeks on end that makes it so effective.

Thanks for the clarification Waspie :)

What I was really hoping for was 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 hp

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#14    paul the walrus

paul the walrus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• "Instant Karma's gonna get you, its gonna look you right in the face."

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Sounds risky to me. Do we really want this type of material raining down on us, if or when, an accident occurs during lift off?

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,164 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

View Postpaul the walrus, on 28 June 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Sounds risky to me. Do we really want this type of material raining down on us, if or when, an accident occurs during lift off?

This is fusion, not fission. Hydrogen is fused together to form helium. There are no radioactive fuels and no radioactive byproducts.

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users