Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why does hot water freeze faster?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostChumpy8, on 30 June 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hey GOOD question. I wish I could answer it, but our refridgerator broke down last week, so I won't be able to give you an answer until it gets fixed next week. My question to you is
"How many days can a beef patty stay fresh for?"
I guess the answer to this question will have to be a work-in-progress. But while I'm waiting I might take "ealdwita's" advice and paint the fridge.

Just dont climb inside the fridge to paint it. Remember, fridges are portals to other universes! :)

#17    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,233 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

This is bulldust. Hot water freezes quicker than cold water ? Cold water boils sooner than hot water ? Bah, humbug !

#18    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostHabitat, on 01 July 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

This is bulldust. Hot water freezes quicker than cold water ? Cold water boils sooner than hot water ? Bah, humbug !

Cold water doesn't boil faster than hot water :)

#19    devilmaycare

devilmaycare

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Because the molecules are moving faster and so the phase change is quicker. As I like to say, "it's in a hurrier". I have no idea. why?

If you have nothing you would die for, then you also have nothing to live for.

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that." G. H. Hardy

#20    odiesbsc

odiesbsc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

• Some folks drink from the fountain of knowledge. Some folks just gargle and spit it out.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

This is all an old wives tale. Hot water does NOT freeze faster than cold water. I retired from the commercial refrigeration and electrical business and I do know a thing or two about heat transfer.

As you slide down the water slide of life, may none of your swimming suits give you a permanent wedgie.

~Ancient Polynesian Greeting~

If the teacher has no DNA testing apperatus, you're probably safe blaming the booger you wiped on her computer screen on someone else.

~American Defense Lawyers' Ethics Training Book for Children~

#21    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,524 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I guess this can all be tested easily enough.

#22    odiesbsc

odiesbsc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

• Some folks drink from the fountain of knowledge. Some folks just gargle and spit it out.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

My wife asked me about that, many years ago, so I boiled some water and put it in an ice cube tray and put cold water in another one then put em' in the freezer at te same time. The cold water froze much faster.

As you slide down the water slide of life, may none of your swimming suits give you a permanent wedgie.

~Ancient Polynesian Greeting~

If the teacher has no DNA testing apperatus, you're probably safe blaming the booger you wiped on her computer screen on someone else.

~American Defense Lawyers' Ethics Training Book for Children~

#23    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

View Postodiesbsc, on 02 July 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

My wife asked me about that, many years ago, so I boiled some water and put it in an ice cube tray and put cold water in another one then put em' in the freezer at te same time. The cold water froze much faster.
are you sure, I mean read the link.
the science world don't depute the clam, but they are not sure why is hot water freezing faster.
If one of you know why, send your explanation with facts and maybe you'll won a 2000$ -10% to me.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#24    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,934 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

This reminds me...I need to make ice cubes. May as well test it out. :lol:

#25    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,905 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

does anyone else think they might be posting this to see if there IS a way to make hot water freeze faster then cold water?

#26    magnoliaReverie

magnoliaReverie

Poltergeist

• 2,934 posts

• In the end, we'll all become stories.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

Cold water won by the way, don't ask me how or why though. At least now I have ice. :D

#27    Delovely5150

Delovely5150

Nyx Undefined

• 2,546 posts

• My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style. -Maya Angelou

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

So what happens to people when they're bored? They make Delovely laugh! *Marks check on her list and moves on to the next* Posted Image

A window within the soul to see, light and magick I send with thee.
Be strong, be brave, make the right choice, though darkness shouts with a terrible voice.
Know that I'm watching from above and that always, always, the answer is love.

#28    Scepticus

Scepticus

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

• Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Okay to put this to rest.

The Mpemba effect isn't always observed, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. That is why scientists puzzle over this.

My guess would be that it has something to do with dissolved gas.

:D

The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.

#29    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

it doesn't.
anyone tried it????
i did.

it has to be a bit warmer than cold sample.
i have tried it few times, same cups with same amount of water, WARMER water freezes faster, not hot water.
in my experements, i used cold water from faucet, and same amount of the same water that has been sitting in the room for few hours, and was at room temp. NOT HOT.

don't believe me? try it yourself.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#30    StevenM Arizona

StevenM Arizona

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

The longer that water remains at a constant temperature, the more hydrogen bonds and water clusters are subsequently formed between the water molecules. Water at a near boiling temperature has highly excited molecules, which effectively prevents the formation of clusters and intermolecular hydrogen bonding. Thus, to create the organized lattice structure of ice, hot water has fewer clusters and hydrogen bonds to break than does cooler water.
A useful real life analogy in visualizing the organization of liquid water molecules into a solid lattice is what I call the lifeboat model. Consider hot water to be represented by active people on a cruise ship, walking all decks randomly throughout the ship. Cool water, with its water clusters and hydrogen bonding, is represented by meal time where some of the guests are seated in an organized fashion at their tables, while others are at various parts of the ship.
If a command was given to immediately fill all of the lifeboats (form ice), the model in which the dining guests are organized and contained in one location would theoretically take longer to disassemble their structure and rearrange into the boats than the model in which the guests are already moving about randomly, unencumbered by any given structure.
Thus, the reason that hot water freezes more quickly than cooler water is that hot water, with its excited molecules, has fewer hydrogen bonds and corresponding clusters than cooler, more organized water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users