Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Questioning christianity's originality

god christianity religions fake divinitys

  • Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#136    AzTide

AzTide

    In The Witness Protection Program

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postthe L, on 09 July 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

Science dont debunk religion. They go hand in hand.

Religion cant answer question how universe is created. Same as Science cant answer Why is it created.


Actually science could do a far better job explaining the Why and probably get the correct answer some day.. Religions just say trust and have faith and ignore the facts!!

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#137    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostAzTide, on 09 July 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

Actually science could do a far better job explaining the Why and probably get the correct answer some day.. Religions just say trust and have faith and ignore the facts!!

Az Tide, science dont even trys to answer on question WHY?
Well maybe in historical science.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#138    AzTide

AzTide

    In The Witness Protection Program

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

View Postthe L, on 09 July 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Az Tide, science dont even trys to answer on question WHY?
Well maybe in historical science.

Actually science always asks Why it's a leading factor in any research.. In order to get to the bottom of everything you need to understand the beginning and Why it is.. Name one scientist that doesn't care Why.. Only in religion can one be told to have Faith when the Why is questioned.. In science they'll admit they do not know Why, but they'll tell you that they'll work until they can answer Why..

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#139    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostAzTide, on 09 July 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

Actually science always asks Why it's a leading factor in any research.. In order to get to the bottom of everything you need to understand the beginning and Why it is.. Name one scientist that doesn't care Why.. Only in religion can one be told to have Faith when the Why is questioned.. In science they'll admit they do not know Why, but they'll tell you that they'll work until they can answer Why..

Im thinking on science that they trys to answer question How not Why. Why is for religion and philosophy.
Science cant do experiemnts to understand reasons for our existence. One scientists can ask question why but in lab he will never found answer on it.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#140    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostAzTide, on 09 July 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

The stories of Jesus's actions have been debunked and I could pull article after article. And probably even numerous threads somewhere in these forums..

Sounded like he didn't want a religion only for people to really upon ones inner self..

That only sounded to you. When I studied about  Budhism, Budha have disciples.
Story of Jesus actions are debunked by articles and UM threads. Well Ill be darn.

Just for the record. New testament is consider to be historical book to many historians.

Edited by the L, 09 July 2012 - 09:36 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#141    AzTide

AzTide

    In The Witness Protection Program

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

View Postthe L, on 09 July 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

That only sounded to you. When I studied about  Budhism, Budha have disciples.
Story of Jesus actions are debunked by articles and UM threads. Well Ill be darn.

Just for the record. New testament is consider to be historical book to many historians.

Well I hate to tell you this then but it's historical because it tells stories of an ancient time.. It's a bunch of stories written many years after they happened even by the writers admittance.. Plus these stories appeared in some cases a couple hundred years after Jesus's death.. It's more fiction than fact!!!

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#142    AzTide

AzTide

    In The Witness Protection Program

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

View Postthe L, on 09 July 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Im thinking on science that they trys to answer question How not Why. Why is for religion and philosophy.
Science cant do experiemnts to understand reasons for our existence. One scientists can ask question why but in lab he will never found answer on it.



Science as a collective institution aims to produce more and more accurate naturalexplanations of how the natural worldworks, what its components are, and how the world got to be the way it is now. Classically, science's main goal has been building knowledge and understanding, regardless of its potential applications — for example, investigating the chemical reactions that an organic compound undergoes in order to learn about its structure. However, increasingly, scientific research is undertaken with the explicit goal of solving a problem or developing a technology, and along the path to that goal, new knowledge and explanations are constructed.


The knowledge that is built by science is always open to question and revision. No scientific idea is ever once-and-for-all "proved." Why not? Well, science is constantly seeking new evidence, which could reveal problems with our current understandings. Ideas that we fully accept today may be rejected or modified in light of new evidence discovered tomorrow. For example, up until 1938, paleontologists accepted the idea that coelacanths (an ancient fish) went extinct at the time that they last appear in the fossil record — about 80 million years ago. But that year, a live coelacanth was discovered off the coast of South Africa, causing scientists to revise their ideas and begin to investigate how this animal survives in the deep sea.

Despite the fact that they are subject to change, scientific ideas are reliable. The ideas that have gained scientific acceptance have done so because they are supported by many lines of evidence. These scientific explanations continually generate expectations that hold true, allowing us to figure out how entities in the natural world are likely to behave and how we can harness that understanding to solve problems (e.g., how electricity, wire, glass, and various compounds can be fashioned into a working light bulb).

We have good reason to trust scientific ideas… Because they work!


Edited by AzTide, 09 July 2012 - 11:40 PM.

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#143    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostAzTide, on 09 July 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Science as a collective institution aims to produce more and more accurate naturalexplanations of how the natural worldworks, what its components are, and how the world got to be the way it is now. Classically, science's main goal has been building knowledge and understanding, regardless of its potential applications — for example, investigating the chemical reactions that an organic compound undergoes in order to learn about its structure. However, increasingly, scientific research is undertaken with the explicit goal of solving a problem or developing a technology, and along the path to that goal, new knowledge and explanations are constructed.


The knowledge that is built by science is always open to question and revision. No scientific idea is ever once-and-for-all "proved." Why not? Well, science is constantly seeking new evidence, which could reveal problems with our current understandings. Ideas that we fully accept today may be rejected or modified in light of new evidence discovered tomorrow. For example, up until 1938, paleontologists accepted the idea that coelacanths (an ancient fish) went extinct at the time that they last appear in the fossil record — about 80 million years ago. But that year, a live coelacanth was discovered off the coast of South Africa, causing scientists to revise their ideas and begin to investigate how this animal survives in the deep sea.

Despite the fact that they are subject to change, scientific ideas are reliable. The ideas that have gained scientific acceptance have done so because they are supported by many lines of evidence. These scientific explanations continually generate expectations that hold true, allowing us to figure out how entities in the natural world are likely to behave and how we can harness that understanding to solve problems (e.g., how electricity, wire, glass, and various compounds can be fashioned into a working light bulb).

We have good reason to trust scientific ideas… Because they work!


You forgot your source of the info above ->   http://undsci.berkel...hatisscience_04  .....  I took a look at it.. it is not a bad site..very good

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 10 July 2012 - 12:57 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#144    AzTide

AzTide

    In The Witness Protection Program

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona

  • Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 10 July 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

You forgot your source of the info above ->   http://undsci.berkel...hatisscience_04  .....  I took a look at it.. it is not a bad site..very good

Sorry I'll get it next time.. I get so use to posting with people who are mostly eneducated on sites like Facebook were things like websites don't matter...  lol

“He who controls the present controls the past”  George Orwell

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."  Thomas Jefferson

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

#145    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 29 June 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

this is an old myth started by atheists to try to connect between Jesus and Horus
as an attempt to explain that jesus was a fictionary character .. which is absurd
in both historical speaking and evidences that support it

i have however a more better question for christians
i have heard that jesus birthday and other dates in christianty have been changed by the church
to match certain numbers which resulted this

am not expert and am not sure about it though perhaps expert christians can tell us more
wheather dates and such has been changed

but regarding atheists claim on jesus as fiction character .. it's a joke claim in my opinion
as history proves it wrong and not just christians history speak of jesus
there are more than one history that speak of the character
and i Do mean history not just religious texts i mean historians and history from people other than christianty
so the claim stand weak infront of history

This is wrong, all major world religions trace back to Eqygt.

Sun God worship has been modified through the ages to take onboard the new characters such as Mary, Joseph and Jesus. All the characters and dates are to do with astronomy and Solar Cycles.


#146    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,195 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postthe L, on 09 July 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

Science dont debunk religion. They go hand in hand.

Religion cant answer question how universe is created. Same as Science cant answer Why is it created.
This sounds more like an excuse to ignore the glaring contradictions.

Science explains many "whys" with evidence.


#147    eight bits

eight bits

    ...

  • Member
  • 6,288 posts
  • Joined:24 May 2007

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Quote

Science explains many "whys" with evidence

The poster's point was that questions of fact and questions of worth seek different information. It is conventional to express that distinction by contrasting  how with why.

Natural language is robust and fault-tolerant. I can sometimes ask why when I seek factual information (why did the dashboard brake light go on?) or how when I seek worth information (how could she marry him?).

Ironically, the very fact that I am a native speaker of English increases the risk that I will conflate the distinction between the words. I know what I can get away with, and play accordingly.

Nevrtheless, the poster's distinction was soundly drawn, and to express the distinction as how versus why was apt. The poster seems not to be a native speaker of English, but has expressed the thought in English as well as native speakers typically do, and better than some.

The substantive point is that science is uninformative about matters of worth. To confuse mastery of what is with expertise in what ought to be is an error. The poster did a good thing to direct the community's attention to the difficulty. Your reply demonstrates that it was something that needed to be said.

Edited by eight bits, 10 July 2012 - 08:33 AM.

Posted Image

#148    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostAzTide, on 10 July 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

Sorry I'll get it next time.. I get so use to posting with people who are mostly eneducated on sites like Facebook were things like websites don't matter...  lol

I know...But still, it is a good site you used.. It explains a lot in ref to science

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#149    Tiggs

Tiggs

    Relax. It's only me.

  • 9,143 posts
  • Joined:30 Jan 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orange County, California

  • Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

View Posteight bits, on 10 July 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

The substantive point is that science is uninformative about matters of worth. To confuse mastery of what is with expertise in what ought to be is an error. The poster did a good thing to direct the community's attention to the difficulty. Your reply demonstrates that it was something that needed to be said.

"Why is the sky blue?" and "How is the sky blue?" are both the same question, but one presupposes a Designer.


#150    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostAzTide, on 09 July 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Well I hate to tell you this then but it's historical because it tells stories of an ancient time.
No its not. You need to check history of hisotry. :tu:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."





Also tagged with god, christianity, religions, fake, divinitys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users