Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery 'fairy circles' stump scientists

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    dreamgoddess11

dreamgoddess11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Fungus

#17    TattooMommy28

TattooMommy28

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• In the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair.....

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

Some things just cannot be explained with science and it something walks in circles how does it function? That is a hilarious explanation but something we just arent meant to know or understand.

#18    gnostic-deity

gnostic-deity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

• We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another. -Luciano de Crescenzo

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

i want to believe

oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive

#19    MadMike740

MadMike740

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Fairy_ring

#20    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostMadMike740, on 02 July 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Cheers MadMike, the pictures half way down on the right are exactly what I see in my local grass/play areas. Ties in nicely with the Myths thread I was reading earlier.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#21    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 30 June 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

It probably is a type of fungus or insect,or maybe even gas bubbles ? but I still like the good old fairy circle story.

Fungus or insects that destroy grass in circles. Thats new.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#22    linttrap

linttrap

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Tschinkel does not offer any explanation for the Circles, but was able to rule out some previously offered ones. The most obvious explanation is a fungal or other microbial agent, as with Fairy Rings, but the growth pattern does not match this and no such agent could be found. Another popular explanation is a chemical agent, such as fumes from a subterranean hydrothermal seep, though again no such agent could be found. It has been suggested that the activities of ground-dwelling Termites might be responsible, but no connection between the Circles and Termites has been found.

http://sciencythough...ry-circles.html

#23    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

A fungus is certainly a possibility, but there are also plants toxic to other plant species that use a chemical warfare of sorts. It is possible that this starts as a single grass seedling, that produces offsets. Many desert plants have clonal colonies that expand outward in a more or less circular pattern from a single pioneer. As the offsets expand outward from the center they leave behind a root system that either uses all the available moisture within the circle (in a semi-arid climate), preventing other seeds from germinating, or giving off toxins that stop all other species from germinating or growing, sort of a natural "Round Up" weed killer. It would be interesting to see if the particular grass that grows around the edges of the circles would have toxic qualities to other plant life when planted in containers with other species, and whether this grass is ONLY found on the edges of such circles. Also what happens to other less mobile vegetation (like a single trunked shrub) outside the circle when approached by the grass? Does it begin to adversely effect and eventually kill the shrub? The chemistry within the circles could have agricultural and perhaps pharmaceutical applications.

#24    WillSoMysterious

WillSoMysterious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Location:In a dark, dark town there was a dark, dark street and in the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house, and in the dark, dark house there were some dark, dark stairs and down the dark, dark stairs there was a dark, dark cellar and in the dark, dark cellar, WillSoMysterious lived.

• "You know one of them ones where you have to wipe your bum cheeks first?" - Junior Chubb 2013

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

These 'Fairy circles' were apparntly created when JuniorChubb layed upon the grass and left his imprint.

#25    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,653 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

fungus feels about right.

I wonder if they ever tried to grow grass right in the middle of a circle? hmmm

anyway the follwing makes a lot of sense to me:

"That's science, isn't it?" Tschinkel said. "If you knew the answer ahead of time, it wouldn't be much fun."

right, and if you knew all the answers you would not be here at UM. I like that

There are no such things as Lenticular clouds, only UFO's in disguise

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#26    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostWillSoMysterious, on 03 July 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

These 'Fairy circles' were apparntly created when JuniorChubb layed upon the grass and left his imprint.

Cheers WillSoMysterious, are you also going to hold me responsible for all those missing pies?

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#27    WillSoMysterious

WillSoMysterious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Location:In a dark, dark town there was a dark, dark street and in the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house, and in the dark, dark house there were some dark, dark stairs and down the dark, dark stairs there was a dark, dark cellar and in the dark, dark cellar, WillSoMysterious lived.

• "You know one of them ones where you have to wipe your bum cheeks first?" - Junior Chubb 2013

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

That's okay Junior Chubb my friend, as your name suggests, i certainly AM going to hold you responsible for all those missing pies.

I have been working on an equation:

Junior Chubb + Pies x amount of time divided by your usual diet = Missing pies.

#28    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostWillSoMysterious, on 04 July 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

That's okay Junior Chubb my friend, as your name suggests, i certainly AM going to hold you responsible for all those missing pies.

I have been working on an equation:

Junior Chubb + Pies x amount of time divided by your usual diet = Missing pies.

(t ( jc + p )) / ud = mp

If I wasn't so hungry I would argue against your equation...

#29    Damian Bâthory

Damian Bâthory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• That is not dead wich can eternally live, when abnormal time comes, even Death may die.
    "Abl Al Ashrad, Necronomicon."

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

looks like my lawn, i got bare spots in it too, i should take care of it, or maybe look around for 'fairies'..
Ain't seen fairies yet, but alot of Raccoons...
Perhaps Black Sabbath were right in their song "Fairies Wear Boots"...they leave big footsteps...lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users