Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Higgs Boson 'God' particle discovered

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostSystemShoX, on 04 July 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

I think people were afraid the LHC would create a black hole or something that would gobble up the Earth. :lol:

Maybe it did and we are turned upside down with knowing it :D :D   wait no that impossible because it would the opposite of what we are now.. I was broke before I should be rich now.. I'm still broke :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#32    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 04 July 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

You got to love American culture.

Anyway the God particle violates symmetry so science is in for some huge changes.

What does American culture have to do with my comments?

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#33    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 04 July 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

Anyway the God particle violates symmetry so science is in for some huge changes.
Symmetry breaking in this context is how the Higgs Boson bestows mass onto visible matter.  The finding solidifies the current standard model theories, meaning, science is in for some *small* changes, depending on the results of subsequent testing.

Some of the diagrams for the particle collision that created the boson do look like the FSM.  Coincidence???

#34    dagobert 11

dagobert 11

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

so scientists have maybe/probably/definately found the particle god created to hold the universe together. well done. :clap:

#35    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

View Postdagobert 11, on 04 July 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

so scientists have maybe/probably/definately found the particle god created to hold the universe together. well done. :clap:
When it's time for fairy tale stories, we can let you know, but the adults are talking about real stuff right now so go to your room and play with your crayons :P

#36    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

First of all, I almost cried at this discovery...

Stephen Hawking lost $100 dollars in a bet over its discovery! This is MONUMENTAL news. Now we can be closer to understanding why matter has mass - which combined with gravity, gives weight to any sort of object. Indeed, the boson is responsible for giving mass to other particles.

This discovery completes the Standard Model for physics; the particle was the only missing particle to complete the equation of the make up of the universe! The Higgs Theory itself explains how particles combined to create stars, terrestrial planets, and even life itself!

Scientists are still determining whether or not the subatomic particle literally is, as described by the Standard Model of physics. If it is not, it could be a slight variation of the Higgs boson or a new subatomic particle all together! And if that is the case, we will have to rethink the structure of matter....

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#37    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Another new McDonalds product then ! "The particle of God" with fries.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#38    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Bear in mind the name "God Particle" was unintended.  Rumor has it that when describing the particle, Higgs said to a journalist, "the goddam particle", which the journalist shortened to "the god particle" for political correctness.

#39    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostDrayno, on 04 July 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

First of all, I almost cried at this discovery...

Stephen Hawking lost $100 dollars in a bet over its discovery! This is MONUMENTAL news. Now we can be closer to understanding why matter has mass - which combined with gravity, gives weight to any sort of object. Indeed, the boson is responsible for giving mass to other particles.

This discovery completes the Standard Model for physics; the particle was the only missing particle to complete the equation of the make up of the universe! The Higgs Theory itself explains how particles combined to create stars, terrestrial planets, and even life itself!

Scientists are still determining whether or not the subatomic particle literally is, as described by the Standard Model of physics. If it is not, it could be a slight variation of the Higgs boson or a new subatomic particle all together! And if that is the case, we will have to rethink the structure of matter....

Im failed to understand what they discovered. Can you explain it. Seems that you understand it.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#40    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Also can anyone knows name of mountain where Higgs gots his idea? I know its in Scotland.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#41    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

View Postthe L, on 04 July 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Im failed to understand what they discovered. Can you explain it. Seems that you understand it.
The basic theory is (as I understand it):
  • There are 4 fundamental forces in our Universe as we know it: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force.
  • In quantum field theory each force is associated with one or a collection of bosons: gravitons, photons, (Z,W bosons), gluons.
  • We believe that all 4 fundamental forces are actually related at some level (a ``grand unified theory'')
  • We can see a connection between electromagetism and weak nuclear force, i.e. they appear to be low-energy manifestations of a more general ``electroweak'' force
  • BUT the photon has no mass, and the Z,W bosons do have mass. Why are they different?
  • Higgs (and several others) came up with this explanation: there is an additional force (or quantum field) that couples with the electroweak force. This predicts (via a complicated process) the bosons in electroweak force should turn into 1 massless and 3 massive bosons in the low energy (broken symmetry) version.
  • This looks good: we already know about the weak nuclear force with 3 massive bosons (W+, W-, and Z).
  • If there is this ``Higgs force'' (or Higgs field), it should also have a boson associated with it - the remaining 1 massless boson from the previous point.
  • If we can find this boson, then this is a proof that the electroweak force is real and why some bosons have mass.
Strictly speaking, finding the Higgs boson (which needs to be zero spin, massless, and have a fairly high energy) only proves the electroweak field is valid, and explains why the weak nuclear force bosons have mass.

The Higgs field can help explain why fermions (like electrons, quarks, etc.) also have mass but there is more than one possible way this could happen. In order to prove that the Higgs boson is responsible for all mass they also need to quantify the coupling parameters to the fermion field.

It should also be noted that the Higgs field offers no insight into gravity what-so-ever.

#42    Troublehalf

Troublehalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

Woot. This is a great day for humanity and for science. We have discovered what could be described as a blank piece in a Scrabble set. With it we can do crazy stuff, teleportation, faster than light travel.... Hurray! Maybe even Time Travel. Shame it'll take many decades, if not centuries, of studying and exploring the particle before we can do cool stuff with it.

Cold Fusion? Sweet. Fusion Power? Goodbye trash problems! Goodbye trash dumps.

Not to mention, awesome new movies.

#43    Codeblind

Codeblind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

I read they 'observed' its shadow or footprint so science assumes its the higgs, not very scientific imo but actually observing it is near impossible, what is the higgs, a fundemental particle ? is there a question like where does it come from...how is the higgs created?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

#44    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

so does the discovery mean tat the big bang theory is real? and disproves the God created everything in 7 days theory? a lot of religious people right now are probably trying to prove tat the discovery was false or faked. looks like we found the science loch ness monster

#45    Wandering

Wandering

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

Just in time for 2012 right :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users