Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Revenue Problem or Spending Problem?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#106    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,278 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 19 July 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Are you serious? The Ds would have cut enough, combined with more taxes to counter the entire Deficit? That would be a cut of like 20 to 25% of Everything. What I remember is them talking about cuts in the lower single digits, Like 3% and 4%. Not 20%, which is what would have dropped the Deficit.

yes but that's not what you claimed. You said both sides "would not cut their sacred cows". That was clearly not the case. Sure the D's wanted more modest cuts in their sacred cows. But the R's would not budge on their sacred cows at all. Politics and government is compromise. What we have is immoral because they are not doing their jobs - in my mind more on the "R" than "D" because of the "R" intractibility. Increasing revenue would have dropped the deficit as well.

Are you sure? I've seen reports by reliable agencies saying as much as 20% of SS is claimed fraudulently. Any other organization that had 20 to 25% fraud would go out of business, but not SS. I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying it could be run a LOT better. (By a Republican?)

I have not seen that report. If you find a link, I'd like to read it. I agree 20% would be bad. I'm sure SS has been run by many D's and R's over it's lifespan. It is limited by law however.

That is true, but it does not make it any better of an insurance deal. The deal still sucks compared to what could be found on an open market.

but that open market, while better, is also dependent on more risk from the stock market, right?

And that is why, to be fair, (and since I know that SS is not going to change to a open market format.) that I support dropping the ceiling and taxing the higher wage earners at the same rates as everyone else.

I think I agree with that.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#107    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,836 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Here are a few articles I found on the problems with SS Fraud.

The statistical numbers can NOT be found on the internet. They are simply not published. X% or Y% are not published. I think that rough 20% was a number I read on a Conservative site, so you're probably going to just say it was a lie. But...

What is known is that there are like 2500 cases pending of SS fraud that were only found because of the egrediousness of the cases, with hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars being stolen almost openly and with little expectation of being caught. With the numbers that CAN be found representing only those that have been caught, I must imagine that there are still many who are not caught and are defrauding the system still.

A lady I used to work with said her sister was on Disability for Mental/Emotional issues, because she took too much drugs in the 70s. So she has been getting 20,000 a year for 40 years and is also working on the side. Cases like this are almost never reviewed and if they are, they are of such a low cost that they don't get investigated or procescuted. Yet, over 40 years she collected 800,000 dollars. Sure 20,000 a year is poverty, but it is Free Poverty.

http://www.oregonliv...s_social_s.html

The Social Security Administration has fallen behind in reviewing the medical conditions of 1.7 million Americans on its disability rolls, potentially paying up to $11 billion in benefits to people who are no longer disabled.

The reviews have a phenomenal rate of return, last year saving $11.74 for every $1 spent, according to agency records. But Social Security's leaders have pushed those potential savings aside to confront another embarrassing backlog -- 766,905 people waiting to plead cases for benefits before the agency's corps of judges.

Social Security's chief priorities -- speeding up disability claims and serving customers -- leave the agency scarce funds to conduct disability reviews. The agency processed about one in three that came due last year, says Kelly Croft, the agency's deputy commissioner for quality performance.

http://spectator.org...r-entitlement-s

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users