Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

do you think some people have special powers

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1    violet123

violet123

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

like being able to know what others are thinking in their mind?

link removed

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,241 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

I'm not sure about that but I do believe that some people have a real gift of making people feel loved or comforted.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

If you're even bored, you might google "Maximillian Langsner". I believe his case to be a documented case of mental telepathy.

Posted Image

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,241 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:21 AM

View PostGummug, on 08 July 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

If you're even bored, you might google "Maximillian Langsner". I believe his case to be a documented case of mental telepathy.
You're right.  It does seem that he had this ability and proved it with results.   Impressive.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,250 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

Most cases (not all, there are "anomalies") of people reading other people's minds are more about "empathy" or being able to put themselves in others shoes and intuit based on the other person's personality what they are thinking.

There are also many cases of this being "wishful thinking" and even paranoia, imagining that we know what others are thinking or imagining what others could be thinking - these types usually believe people think the worst or best about them and are likely wrong on both accounts.

There is anecdotal evidence of some people with gifts but it is so rare that it is best to consider the above options first and be absolutely sure they don't apply before entertaining the idea that anyone we know personally has such "gifts" imo.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#6    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Prehaps.
There is after all, that man who can run nonstop in the cold.

#7    Sheep Say Meep

Sheep Say Meep

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

Yes

I think some people are more intuitive and intelligent, and are able to pick up signs through smell, body language, and even sight as  well as other ways that other people wouldn't notice. Sometimes people who are synesthesics (example: people who hear lights, or see a certain color everytime they taste something) pick up information that other people who aren't synesthesics wouldn't notice.

However, that wouldn't explain those people who can sense things over long distances about people they've never met personally.

#8    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

View Postprettyviolet, on 08 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Yes

There is an ever growing number of people who are Telepathic.

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#9    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,491 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postprettyviolet, on 08 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

.........No. I honestly do not see any reliable proof that would compel me to think otherwise.
It is "possible" but from what I have seen and observed, it is often faked or is a result of paranoia or coincidence.

People in general seem to be able to pick up subtle cues from their surroundings to give them a overall view of a situation...this is a normal sensing ability that most creatures have as part of their survival mechanism. But psychic abilities? I need far more proof.

#10    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,170 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostJohn from Lowell, on 08 July 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Yes

There is an ever growing number of people who are Telepathic.

John, what makes you say this? I've been wondering whether there has been an increase in "paranormal" phenomena among the general population. There has been in my family, and I've wondered whether this is a general trend, and if so, why.

#11    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,170 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Postand then, on 08 July 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

I'm not sure about that but I do believe that some people have a real gift of making people feel loved or comforted.

For me, this is the most valuable gift of all. If people would use their ESP, telepathy, empathy, clairvoyance, etc. to do this, the world would be a better place.

#12    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

View Postand then, on 08 July 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

You're right.  It does seem that he had this ability and proved it with results.   Impressive.
Thanks, and then. I got my information from Frank Edward's "Strange People", and he seems (unlike so many others) to document his cases, and give references, etc. (They didn't have the internet in his day, boo hoo.) I know there are also many books published that are just so much c**p, if you know what I mean.

View PostlibstaK, on 08 July 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Most cases (not all, there are "anomalies") of people reading other people's minds are more about "empathy" or being able to put themselves in others shoes and intuit based on the other person's personality what they are thinking.

There are also many cases of this being "wishful thinking" and even paranoia, imagining that we know what others are thinking or imagining what others could be thinking - these types usually believe people think the worst or best about them and are likely wrong on both accounts.

There is anecdotal evidence of some people with gifts but it is so rare that it is best to consider the above options first and be absolutely sure they don't apply before entertaining the idea that anyone we know personally has such "gifts" imo.
I certainly agree that one should exercise caution...just don't believe everything, because the quacks/charlatans/hoaxers certainly ARE out there. And imo do they ever muddy the waters!

Posted Image

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I do not think anyone has special powers, like being able to know what others are thinking in their mind.

I believe there are some people who are great at cold readings, reading body language and predicting general human reaction to events but that's it.

It would be remarkable if there are people with real ability to read minds but they will have to fight through the hundreds and thousands of fakes out there that have ruined the credibility of such claims. But then this should be easy for someone that can read minds...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

yes, but i don't consider them to be powers.
i believe that every person has the potential to be extra sensory (for lack of a better term at the moment) but that it's more manifest in some than others.
having said that i should also say that for every person able to actively use or experience these abilities there are countless others who will con people into thinking they do.

#15    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostSheep Say Meep, on 08 July 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Yes

I think some people are more intuitive and intelligent, and are able to pick up signs through smell, body language, and even sight as  well as other ways that other people wouldn't notice. Sometimes people who are synesthesics (example: people who hear lights, or see a certain color everytime they taste something) pick up information that other people who aren't synesthesics wouldn't notice.

However, that wouldn't explain those people who can sense things over long distances about people they've never met personally.

I actually have synaesthesia...in my case, I associate tastes and colors. (I can rarely eat any food that tastes pink to me. I can't think of the ones that really grate on me right now, but if I do, I'll post about them.) Certain months have distinct colors, too. There are other things as well.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users