Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

3,000,000 miles in a 1966 Volvo P1800

world record volvo long distances

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

We've told you here of Million Mile Joe, the Maine resident who kept his meticulously maintained 1990 Honda Accord running through a whopping 1,000,000 miles. And while Joe was getting plenty of media attention as he approached that milestone (and a brand new Accord from Honda once he passed it) a New York man was quietly racking up even more miles -- almost 3,000,000 -- in a beautiful red 1966 Volvo P1800.

Irv Gordon, of Long Island, bought the Volvo new in June of '66 for $4,150 (for some, a full year's salary at the time). Since then Gordon, who has stated a lifelong love of travel, has been racking up the miles: it took 21 years to reach the first million miles, and another 15 to reach the two-million mark, according to MSNBC. Now, 46 years after purchasing the Volvo and already having driven the car the equivalent of 1,200 trips around the globe at the equator, Gordon is less than 40,000 miles from clicking "3,000,000" on the odometer.

Link      

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

I loved the P1800..they had a really nice shape to them and are classed as a classic now...great..thanks for that. :) .makes me want one more now..!

Edited by BrianPotter, 10 July 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#3    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

A gorgeous car...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users