Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is evidence of Mars life below the surface ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,838 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Simple organic molecules could be present just a few inches below the soil on the surface of Mars.

Christian Science Monitor said:

Researchers say that evidence of ancient life on Mars could take the form of simple organic molecules lying just beneath the Red Planet's surface, and that it could be detectable by NASA's newest rover, which is scheduled to touch down on the planet next month.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

I hope that Curiosity will answer these questions, but we really need to send a manned mission there.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Post27vet, on 10 July 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

I hope that Curiosity will answer these questions, but we really need to send a manned mission there.

In many ways unmanned missions are better in the search for life.

A robot, such as Curiosity, can be thoroughly decontaminated before launch. Any signs of life it finds are highly likely to be Martian in origin. You can not do the same with a human crew. There is a much higher likelihood of contaminating samples and even the planet itself.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Aten

Aten

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

I just hope Curiosity lands safely, it does seem like rather an ambitious way of landing :) anything after that would be great!

#5    Capt Snowflake

Capt Snowflake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Even if curiosity finds life isn't NASA forbidden from admitting such things?

#6    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,233 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostCapt Snowflake, on 11 July 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Even if curiosity finds life isn't NASA forbidden from admitting such things?
Why would you think that?

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#7    Capt Snowflake

Capt Snowflake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

I've read they have guidelines dictating that contact with or evidence of extraterrestrial life is to be kept confidential.

#8    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

yea it would cause conflict with the religious people and cause people to panic and think tat aliens were gonna attack them any second

#9    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

They already know that their was some form of life on mars, this is just another way in which to calm the masses, why else would they be wanting to go there and put people there to live. They wouldnt do it if it was not viable.

Edited by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON, 11 July 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#10    WillSoMysterious

WillSoMysterious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Location:In a dark, dark town there was a dark, dark street and in the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house, and in the dark, dark house there were some dark, dark stairs and down the dark, dark stairs there was a dark, dark cellar and in the dark, dark cellar, WillSoMysterious lived.

• "You know one of them ones where you have to wipe your bum cheeks first?" - Junior Chubb 2013

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

There is definately evidence of Mars (bars) beneath the surface of Junior Chubb.

#11    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,298 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostCapt Snowflake, on 11 July 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

I've read they have guidelines dictating that contact with or evidence of extraterrestrial life is to be kept confidential.
Where did you read that, and do you think that once evidence of ET was found, it could/would be kept secret?
If it was microbial, as seems likely on Mars, why would the evil PTB have to keep it covered up?
Is every country in on this - if not, wouldn't there be a slight problem in the future when someone else reveals it?

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#12    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostWillSoMysterious, on 11 July 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

There is definately evidence of Mars (bars) beneath the surface of Junior Chubb.

Seven day's without Mars Bars will make one weak...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 11 July 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Where did you read that, and do you think that once evidence of ET was found, it could/would be kept secret?
If it was microbial, as seems likely on Mars, why would the evil PTB have to keep it covered up?
Is every country in on this - if not, wouldn't there be a slight problem in the future when someone else reveals it?

More importantly, if NASA is forbidden from announcing the discovery of non-terrestrial life, why was it one of their scientists that announced the possibility of fossils in the ALH 84001 'Martian' meteorite in 1996?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#14    gOOgLer

gOOgLer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

What kind of life are we,humans, looking for?

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,215 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostgOOgLer, on 15 July 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

What kind of life are we,humans, looking for?
Anything.

In the case of Mars simple microbial life.

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users