Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The United Nations Wants Your Guns America

gun control un united nations arms trade treaty arms treaty

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#31    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Listening to you folks, youd think we shouldnt be allowed to pump our own gas. Or own a nail gun. Or have anything that could do damage to anything. Crawl outta your government built cribs and feel what its like to be free. While you still can (for those living in America anyway)

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#32    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postrashore, on 14 July 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

I got a couple shotguns in the house, but they would be my last choice for home defense. I keep them locked up proper and it takes time I might not afford to dig out the shells in one spot and unlock the gun in another. They would also be a last choice because I have enough other weapons around the house that reaching for them would just be easier and quicker than going for a gun.

Personaly I hate the fact that I have to lock them up. But Id rather that then one of these kids getting hold of them. If you have a invader who has a gun, fighting fire with fire is your only chance.

#33    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Yes, and a firefight in your dark house will pose no threat whatsoever to your family. I heard sleep-drunken people are amazing shooters, especially under an adrenalin rush late at night!

Homes do get invaded, yes, but usually crooks pick out houses where the tenants are out on vacation, for example.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 14 July 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#34    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 14 July 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Oh stop. There is nothing wrong with some guys shooting targets in the woods. My father was about the biggest prick on this planet. The only good memories I have with him were target shooting, or hunting/fishing. Its a great way for a father and son to bond.

Not only that but I save a fortune in buying meat every year.

Ha!

But have you ever considered other ways to bond that don't need innocent animals to die.

Like cars.

Edited by Antilles, 14 July 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#35    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yes, and a firefight in your dark house will pose no threat whatsoever to your family. I heard sleep-drunken people are amazing shooters, especially under an adrenalin rush late at night!

Homes do get invaded, yes, but usually crooks pick out houses where the tenants are out on vacation, for example.

No doubt its a threat to your family. But whats worse? Laying down and letting them rape your wife and kill your children? Which of course may or may not happen, but I for one would like to think I had a chance to prevent that before I knew for a fact either way.

If a pit bull attacked your kid, wouldnt you have to attack the dog? Even if it meant you might get bit?

Yes there are smart criminals who are looking to score some goods with as little resistance as possible. Then there are evil phycopaths who want to take your children and sell them in to sex slavery. Which happens by the hundreds of thousands every year.

#36    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostAntilles, on 14 July 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Ha!

But have you ever considered other ways to bond that don't need innocent animals to die.

Like cars.
Of course. I do lots of things with my kids (who are no where near old enough to drive) But I find nothing wrong hunting, or target practicing. And unless you never eat animals, the cow that was killed so you can BBQ some burgers in the back yard was just as inocent. Difference is you didnt have to kill it. The results are the same though.

#37    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,641 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 July 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

Home invasions are on the rise and they happen while the people are at home.

http://nationsearch.com/?p=343

#38    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 14 July 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

No doubt its a threat to your family. But whats worse? Laying down and letting them rape your wife and kill your children? Which of course may or may not happen, but I for one would like to think I had a chance to prevent that before I knew for a fact either way.

If a pit bull attacked your kid, wouldnt you have to attack the dog? Even if it meant you might get bit?

Yes there are smart criminals who are looking to score some goods with as little resistance as possible. Then there are evil phycopaths who want to take your children and sell them in to sex slavery. Which happens by the hundreds of thousands every year.
Of course you should not let them do that, but you could spend the money for the guns much better, for a state of the art security system. That would help you more than a gun. If somebody invades your home, it is highly likely that they not only outnumber you, but that they also have better tactics, equipment, and most important: They are up for everything. That feeling is different being in the aggressor's role than in the defender's. If they are inside already, you will have little to no chance, unless you strike lucky or the crooks are really stupid, which I would not take for granted.

Pitbull scenario is different. Would you shoot it, if it's entangled with your kid?

Again, most kids who are sold into sex slave are not kidnapped from their homes.

#39    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,641 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

The problem with home security systems is that the majority of the time they are false alarms/crying wolf. That puts them way down on the list of priorities for the police department. We have motion sensors around our house that sets off a buzzer inside so we know when someone steps on the property. It works great...especially when I am home alone and it's not very expensive. You don't have to pay a service fee every month either.

Edited by Michelle, 14 July 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#40    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 July 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Of course you should not let them do that, but you could spend the money for the guns much better, for a state of the art security system. That would help you more than a gun. If somebody invades your home, it is highly likely that they not only outnumber you, but that they also have better tactics, equipment, and most important: They are up for everything. That feeling is different being in the aggressor's role than in the defender's. If they are inside already, you will have little to no chance, unless you strike lucky or the crooks are really stupid, which I would not take for granted.

Pitbull scenario is different. Would you shoot it, if it's entangled with your kid?

Again, most kids who are sold into sex slave are not kidnapped from their homes.

I promise, they are not up for my semi auto shot gun with 6 consecutive shots. My point about the pit bull was, if there is a threat, you have to do something. And you have to use the best possible tool at your disposal. Im all for home security systems, but you are still depending on others, who are miles away, to help you in a situation that is probably going to take less then 5 mins.

My dogs will let me know before they are able to enter. Might even make them pause for that all important 5 seconds.

#41    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

But they won't be scared of your gun, no matter how big it is. In a country like the USA, they have to expect you have a gun at home. Doesn't seem to prevent them from commiting crimes.

But you know, we both have different scenarios in our heads. You see your gun as your last resort, while I see it as the beginning of a potential bloodbath. But if it makes you feel safe, fair enough. I would never rely on a gun.

#42    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

They dont have to be scared. They just have to fall after I shoot them. If they refuse to do that, you were screwed anyway lol.

Fair enough about covers it though. Good talking with you.

#43    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Let's just hope you won't ever have to use your guns in this way.

Thank you, have a good weekend!

#44    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

As a farmer (sort of), I have a shotgun licence and 4 guns, but it concerns me that in the UK only 'de gangstahs' and the Police have easy access to hand guns and autos, (and I wouldn't trust either group with a toy catapult!)

Unfortunately, by the time I've found the gun cabinet key, unlocked them and taken the chains off, any burglars who may have been in the house would have escaped to the Costa Brava with the loot!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#45    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 14 July 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

You consider that a sport? The shooting sport I have seen so far looks very different.

That you can own a gun for protection is one thing, but that you can simply take your high caliber guns to the woods and shoot some explosivbe targets goes beyond my comprehension.

That's why I love my country.  I don't need someone's approval for me to go out where no one else is around, and fire some rounds at Tannerite targets.  It's fun, I enjoy it, it's my business, and if any pricks think they will take away my 2nd amendment, I see that as a Domestic threat.  They can have my guns, but they will be given bullets first.

Edited by sktm06, 14 July 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users