Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Primacy of Consciousness

consciousness remote viewing philosophy sceptics science

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Professor T

Professor T

Sha naqba īmuru

• 2,536 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

Hi,
I would like to share this wonderful lecture on consciousness..

I watched this about 8 months ago and it changed my life and is why I am now so very interested in subjects like Meditation,
Astral Projection, Remote Viewing, and all things that I would have otherwise dismissed as rubbish new-age hippie talk brought on by bad chemicals.

I can Honestly say that I am not the same person I was after viewing this.

Is he right? Is Conciousness more fundamental than Space/Time/Matter??

I'm interested in hearing your views on this. And I hope you find it as enlightening as I did.  :)

#2    232

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

• Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

I think he is onto something.  Only watched the short version, but I think I will be finding time to watch the full one when I can.
Whether or not he is right will quite likely never be proven, especially so if our viewpoint of the universe and 'life' never changes.
But it is definitely going in the right direction.

I'd imagine such talk would be considered 'ludicrous' in todays scientific community. But our understanding of the universe/life will never advance until people open their minds to things like this and beyond.

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostProfessortaylor, on 12 July 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

Is he right? Is Conciousness more fundamental than Space/Time/Matter??
You can tell us next time you're unconscious.

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

View Post232, on 12 July 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

I think he is onto something.  Only watched the short version, but I think I will be finding time to watch the full one when I can.
Whether or not he is right will quite likely never be proven, especially so if our viewpoint of the universe and 'life' never changes.
But it is definitely going in the right direction.

I'd imagine such talk would be considered 'ludicrous' in todays scientific community. But our understanding of the universe/life will never advance until people open their minds to things like this and beyond.
Science is about supporting hypotheses and theories, not conveniently ignoring evidence when it contradicts magical thinking.

#5    232

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

• Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 July 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Science is about supporting hypotheses and theories, not conveniently ignoring evidence when it contradicts magical thinking.

That's nice. Never said anything that states otherwise. If anything my post reflects exactly what you said.

Just because one keeps an open mind, doesn't mean they are ignoring science. But such thinking doesn't work very well for starting arguments I suppose.

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,135 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 July 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

What evidence might that be?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 12 July 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

What evidence might that be?
This isn't rocket science. What you do think refutes the idea conciousness more fundamental than space-time? Can you think of any instance when you weren't conscious?

BTW please don't make up your own definition of consciousness as you attempted in the other thread.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,135 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 July 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

This isn't rocket science. What you do think refutes the idea conciousness more fundamental than space-time? Can you think of any instance when you weren't conscious?

BTW please don't make up your own definition of consciousness as you attempted in the other thread.
No.

The definition of conciousness has been debated for a very long time. You don't get to be the one to define it....sorry. I know you want it it to be purely a medical definition divided between awake and not awake,  so you can continue in Rleyh world but many are going to disagree.  

Conciousness does not go away when you are asleep or altered it merely changes. Yes .... You are aware when you are asleep.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I've always liked the idea that ' consciousness ' preceded  physicality.    Not long ago the idea of an entirely different form of energy, like  dark energy, was unheard of.   This 'dark' energy (if it exists)  doesn't conform to any previous notion of energy.  So, what's so far out about another sort of energy that doesn't conform to our ordinary everyday interpretations of how energy should behave??   I think their is something more fundamental than the  "physics"  we now claim to partially understand.

Rlyeh, on 13 July 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:
This isn't rocket science. What you do think  refutes  the idea conciousness more fundamental than space-time?

You are "refuting"  the idea.  Actually, repudiate would be more accurate,  It's not rocket science,  it's English :)

Edited by lightly, 13 July 2012 - 11:42 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#10    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 13 July 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

No.

The definition of conciousness has been debated for a very long time. You don't get to be the one to define it....sorry. I know you want it it to be purely a medical definition divided between awake and not awake,  so you can continue in Rleyh world but many are going to disagree.  

Conciousness does not go away when you are asleep or altered it merely changes. Yes .... You are aware when you are asleep.
Can you look up the word unconscious? Are you capable of that?

I can't take you seriously when even after being corrected, you still repeat the same drivel. It's been pointed out to you once before sleep is not unconsciousness, so why are you still accusing me of saying it is? You and your straw men.

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,428 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

View Postlightly, on 13 July 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

You are "refuting"  the idea.  Actually, repudiate would be more accurate,  It's not rocket science,  it's English :)
No, refuted is correct. You might like the idea, but "like" is just convenience, it's neither evidence or science.

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 July 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

No, refuted is correct. You might like the idea, but "like" is just convenience, it's neither evidence or science.
Uhhhh ya ..  that's why i said i like the idea.. and not  .. i can prove it.    ***

Edited by lightly, 13 July 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    constantine_337

constantine_337

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Love is the law of the universe. Hatred is a disease that kills nations.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

(start at 10mins)

Posted Image

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

#14    Professor T

Professor T

Sha naqba īmuru

• 2,536 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

(start at 10mins)

I Actually found the first 10 minutes just as interesting. Thanks..
I liked the ideas presented, even the ones I dont fully understand or entirely agree with.

You know there seems to be an overall picture emerging from all these studies and theories on soul/conciousness but it's just so illusive.
It reminds me of a programming Job we once did with some computers/robots. We wanted to get the robots to display some information, but couldn't just program them to do it easily because the information just wasn't there to pick up on. Instead we had to basically write/create a program that took into account all physical robot actions and sensor knowledge to get the infomation needed.. Basically it was like circling the information with question after question and inputs and outputs and calculations to get an estimate of the truth, took forever.... Bah!

It's a bit of a shame science cant study the issue introspectively like that Man in the first 10 minutes of the program.

#15    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

• Truth is an experience not a belief"

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Why do you present yourself in your avatar as a grey ? lol I'm serious.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

Also tagged with consciousness, remote viewing, philosophy, sceptics, science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users