Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Comics!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Fantastic Four
Male
Born: 1963
We had the first marvel super heroes cartoons back in the late 60s with Spiderman, Capt. America, Ironman, Thor and Hulk.
I remember Marvel super hero stickers from the late 60's on our red wagon.
The earliest comics I recall reading were FF #100, the Spiderman issue titled: "Spiderman No More!" and the team up book with stories of Namor vs the WW2 version of the Human Torch and Toro. I took scissors to those books to make my own action figures!(Oh well).

At the end of the 70s after Star Wars and Star Trek hit theaters, I went to see The guy who played Scotty at the Philadelphia Sci Fi and comic book convention and was introduced to the comic book collectors. 1979, I think it was.

#17    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

Government Agent

• 3,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Male
Born: 1984

Favorite of all time is Transmetropolitan 1997-2002. It's dirty and futuristic and hilarious. Still available in trade volumes.

Preacher
Sandman
Batman - No Man's Land arc was particularly good

#18    MarvelAtTheWords

MarvelAtTheWords

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

• "No good deed goes unpunished"

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I love Sandman. I love all Neil Gaiman. Have you read any of his novels?

#19    Kriegermonch

Kriegermonch

Government Agent

• 3,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostMarvelAtTheWords, on 18 July 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

I love Sandman. I love all Neil Gaiman. Have you read any of his novels?

I've read American Gods and Stardust. Very good stuff.

#20    MarvelAtTheWords

MarvelAtTheWords

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

The best!

#21    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

I found a box of comics from the 80s, with a bunch of Grimjack comics which used to be my favorite as a kid. I'm so happy!
:w00t:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#22    MarvelAtTheWords

MarvelAtTheWords

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Awwww....Shadow when you say things like that you make me wanna dig out my Spawn collection :!D
I'm glad for you:)

#23    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

I used to love "Mad" magazine when I was a kid.

Nope, no longer read comics.

Although I watch Family Guy and King of the Hill

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#24    MarvelAtTheWords

MarvelAtTheWords

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

You gotta read the comics Mule :D

#25    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostMarvelAtTheWords, on 12 July 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

1) What comicbook was your favorite when you were kid and why?
2) And dare I ask if you are female or male?
3) Do you still read comics?
1) Conan the Barbarian, then King Conan, then ROM, then The Amazing Spiderman, then The Uncanny X-Men, then...  oh hell, etc... etc...  etc...
2) Male
3) No

Though I must admit, I do miss reading comics.  They were a great joy when I was growing up and I almost decided to become a comic book artist.  I even had an art scholarship which paid my college tuition while I was still going.  But my college art professor hated comic books, and I stopped going to my art class because he was such a major pr**k.  Then I found a job and I realized that actually having money was a good thing.  Which led to less attendance, and eventually not going any more at all.  Job to job, to business, to job.

Wish I had stayed in college.  Oh well.

Maybe I should write a comic book now...

*ponders the possibilities*

#26    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 05 August 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

1) Conan the Barbarian, then King Conan, then ROM, then The Amazing Spiderman, then The Uncanny X-Men, then...  oh hell, etc... etc...  etc....  They were a great joy when I was growing up and I almost decided to become a comic book artist.  I even had an art scholarship which paid my college tuition while I was still going.  

Rom Space Knight!
Steve Ditko drew me into that and I got wrapped up in the story. Regardless of the toy line I liked the idea behind it and it was the first book I
"collected".
Who remembers "Zot!!", or "Warp"? "Flaming Carrot"?

#27    TheCosmicMind

TheCosmicMind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

I've been reading the re-launch of all of the DC titles (DC 52).  Especially Action Comics, Detective Comics, JLA, and Superman.  The Superman is probably my least favorite series at the moment, but I'm a Superman fanatic, so I feel compelled to read it.  Marvel has been kind of lame since the Siege event, so I haven't really kept up with that one.

#28    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostTheCosmicMind, on 20 August 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

I've been reading the re-launch of all of the DC titles (DC 52).  Especially Action Comics, Detective Comics, JLA, and Superman.  The Superman is probably my least favorite series at the moment, but I'm a Superman fanatic, so I feel compelled to read it.  Marvel has been kind of lame since the Siege event, so I haven't really kept up with that one.

I heard the hottest titles of the New 52 relaunch are Action Comics, Animal Man, Aquaman, Batman, Batman Incorporated, The Flash, and Swamp Thing. I collected many of them but wasnt able to continue due to the cost of comic books these days and a tight budget.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#29    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

What do diehard Superman fans think of the new Superman costume design? Does it offend you? Or simply an irritating pet peeve? Or completely acceptable?

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#30    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,091 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Female & I don't still read comics.

This is going back a bit! - Bunty, June, and Judy for me.

My brother had - Dandy, Beano, Topper, and others I can't remember the names of. I'd read his comics as well as mine. The Dandy and Beano especially were for both of us to share.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users