Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate'

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,488 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Posted Image

http://www.christian...s-groups-78029/

Wed, Jul. 11, 2012 Posted: 01:57 PM EDT

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
"What these findings reflect is that in the U.S. atheists are for the most part 'made' as adults after being raised in another faith. It appears to be much more challenging to raise one's child as an atheist and have them maintain this identity in their life," Dr. Mark Gray wrote at CARA's blog.
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
The study used the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life's 2008 U.S. Religious Landscape Survey. Gray noted that Pew's original report did not include some of the retention rates. Pew provided CARA with the original data sets for the study.

Copyright © Christianpost.com. All rights reserved.

Edited by markdohle, 12 July 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#2    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Is this supposed to justify religious beliefs or something? I am confused.

#3    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

Be interesting to see a similar study in a country with a primarily secular populace instead of the heavy Christian one of the US.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#4    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,488 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 12 July 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Is this supposed to justify religious beliefs or something? I am confused.

No, actually I was surprised by this.  In my family, out of 10 Chlidren, I am the only one who is still Catholic,  I thought the drop out rate was higher going by my experience....also surprised at the low retention for atheist.  It says nothing bout beliefs per se, people think things through for themselves I guess.

peace
mark

View PostShadowSot, on 12 July 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

Be interesting to see a similar study in a country with a primarily secular populace instead of the heavy Christian one of the US.

That would be good.  Though in China I believe Christianity is growing as well as other religions.

Peace
mark

#5    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 12 July 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

Yes, it would (*cough* SWEDEN *cough*)

Edited by Alienated Being, 12 July 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#6    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I dont do any of this.

Not to cuss/take away from the thread.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#7    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 12 July 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

"What these findings reflect is that in the U.S. atheists are for the most part 'made' as adults after being raised in another faith. It appears to be much more challenging to raise one's child as an atheist and have them maintain this identity in their life," Dr. Mark Gray wrote at CARA's blog.

Athiests dont raise their children to be athiests. They raise them to think for themselves, unlike many of the religions listed in the OP.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,577 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 12 July 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Athiests dont raise their children to be athiests. They raise them to think for themselves, unlike many of the religions listed in the OP.

Ooooo reeeeaaalllyyyy??!?!?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Well this is true for the atheists I have met.. They all say - they want their kids to chose later in life...But that is only the ones I have spoken to...that doesn't mean other atheists would not raise their kids to be atheist  lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 July 2012 - 12:19 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    Rye17

Rye17

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

• God made me agnostic... who am I to question his wisdom

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

I thought Atheist raised their children to believe that there isn't a God? I'm agnostic and encourage my kids to choose for themselves. Maybe I'm confused on what Atheism actually is...

*spell check

Edited by Rye17, 13 July 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#11    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostRye17, on 13 July 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

I thought Atheist raised their children to beleave that there isn't a God? I'm agnostic and encourage my kids to choose for themselves. Maybe I'm confused on what Atheism actually is...
Most atheists tend towards being agnostic atheists. Many  really don't care about the religion or no religion their kid chooses so long as they're informed about it beforehand at a reasonable age and it's their choice.

And a lot of people grow up in a culture here in the US where it's much easier to be Christian.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

View PostRye17, on 13 July 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

I thought Atheist raised their children to believe that there isn't a God? I'm agnostic and encourage my kids to choose for themselves. Maybe I'm confused on what Atheism actually is...

*spell check

Not all will care to push their beliefs on to their kids.. I for one don't..I do not believe in the bible..but I allow my daughter to follow it...I want her to learn all about it before she  is old enough to understand and then make up her own mind..

#13    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

I guess I should know better than to speak for anyone other than myself.

Edited by The Mule, 13 July 2012 - 12:34 AM.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#14    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 12 July 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

That would be good.  Though in China I believe Christianity is growing as well as other religions.

Peace
mark

Yep, but that has to do with China releasing it's hold over it's populace and letting philosophies and religion flood back in.

-Terry Pratchett

#15    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 13 July 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

I guess I should know better than to speak for anyone other than myself.

I like your attitude..you are honest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users