Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate'

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

I think a big part of the statistic is the fact that there are no roving bands of athiests actively seeking to recruit more athiests.

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

View Postsam12six, on 13 July 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

I think a big part of the statistic is the fact that there are no roving bands of athiests actively seeking to recruit more athiests.
Nope, we have the internet. Much more effective.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

In an atheist household, nobody is indoctrinated. They are free to think what they want. Atheism is simply not believing. People who go from Atheism to a relegion as usually more informed and know what they're getting in to, rather than indoctrinated children just doing what they only know.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#19    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostZaraKitty, on 13 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

In an atheist household, nobody is indoctrinated. They are free to think what they want. Atheism is simply not believing. People who go from Atheism to a relegion as usually more informed and know what they're getting in to, rather than indoctrinated children just doing what they only know.
To add more anecdote on top of anecdote, most of the atheists and theists I know raised in a secular or atheist household I've met tend to be both very relaxed and very knowledgeable about religion.

To what I was saying earlier about China,there's a difference between not being religious, and having your faith taken away from you.What we're seeing in China is people's faith being restored to them. I dunno if I'd count it as atheists converting to theists,these people were supposed to follow the will of the State. Who knows what their private thoughts might have been.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#20    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,191 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

View PostZaraKitty, on 13 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

I started off in complete disagreement.... But your last sentence overridded my opposition to the first.

Am I allowed to completely disagree with one statement and fully agree with the next?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#21    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,433 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

I don't raise my kids to be non-believers, but will answer honestly if they ask. I'm quite happy for them to attend Bible classes at school and they've all done this. Although each one said it was really boring and they only went because they got sweets!

As to the OP: Hi Mark. That's pretty interesting but I'm not sure how significant it is. I recall a post you made in the last couple of days where you stated that some people may be atheists due a rebellious streak. Could be something similar going on here.

#22    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 13 July 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

I don't raise my kids to be non-believers, but will answer honestly if they ask. I'm quite happy for them to attend Bible classes at school and they've all done this. Although each one said it was really boring and they only went because they got sweets!

Pretty much like my Becky...When they stopped giving sweets.. she lost interest lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#23    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 13 July 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Pretty much like my Becky...When they stopped giving sweets.. she lost interest lol
I always enjoyed it. I didn't quite get in trouble, but I often left with questions unanswered.

-Terry Pratchett

#24    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,433 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 13 July 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Ha ha!

I was surprised they all found it boring though. All those stories of murder, mayhem and cataclysms - better than 'Transformers'.

#25    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

I was raised as a catholic got punished extremely severly for leaving the church at the age of 12, and when my ex wanted to send our kid to Mormon religious class I said it would be OK as long as we would send him the regular Christian stuff; Buddhist school, Rabbinic school and Wiccan school and Zoroastrian school... Our kid never went to anyone of them and the Mormon Elders of Boulder County CO got pissed.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#26    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 13 July 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

I always enjoyed it. I didn't quite get in trouble, but I often left with questions unanswered.
It was the same for me but only during religious studies at school.. Many unanswered questions..and the occasional angry teacher not liking the questions  lol

View PostArbenol68, on 13 July 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Ha ha!

I was surprised they all found it boring though. All those stories of murder, mayhem and cataclysms - better than 'Transformers'.

Well Becky wouldn't understand much about that.she is only 6 yrrs old.... At her Sunday school they get the watered down version...lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 July 2012 - 06:30 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#27    Low Mage

Low Mage

Low magic practitioner

• 3,606 posts

• Who has it all has nothing

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

The results are not that surprising. Historically atheists remained in the closet for fear of social marginalization. That fear also extended to sharing their perpsepctive with their children. Luckily that is all changing.

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,102 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Indoctrination is super effective.

#29    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Government Agent

• 4,309 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 13 July 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

Ooooo reeeeaaalllyyyy??!?!?

Yeah actually I was "raised an atheist". My mum didn't let me go to church with the rest of the school, and took me out of all religious classes.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#30    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 July 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Indoctrination is super effective.

No it isn't ... my parents punished me extremely severely (three days in a row I had to kneel on gravel with bare knees) to force me to finish my catholic thingy .. I think it was called confirmation, the last dudda to become a good christian and I never did ... always refused, til this day

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users