Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate'

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,425 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Being raised as an atheist has its own shortcoming. Basically you are raised without a really powerful stimulant and analgesic, which is religion. It can help when the child becomes a part of the intellectual sector of the society, but when he/she faces a great ordeal, then it can be a make it or break it situation.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#62    seishin

seishin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

Rubbish... Look, the door swings both ways. I am certain that this type of coming and going from one belief to the next or to the "lack-there-of" is influenced by many factors.

Crush the industry, No security
Capital is worthless now
Your life I inside trade

#63    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 01 August 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

Being raised as an atheist has its own shortcoming. Basically you are raised without a really powerful stimulant and analgesic, which is religion. It can help when the child becomes a part of the intellectual sector of the society, but when he/she faces a great ordeal, then it can be a make it or break it situation.

Why does religion have to be the stimulant or the analgesic?
I was raised Christian, taught to literally fear God.
As an adult I've since  learned that religion is a business and a very lucrative one at that.  Ones personal stimulant should be the God inside each person.  That's faith.  And analgesic should be used gingerly at best.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#64    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,440 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostMichelle, on 14 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

If I may ask...what does that entail exactly?

I mean, if a child is raised to be religious the parents are accused of indoctrinating their children. Isn't that a different form of indoctrination?

IMO, you bring in a good point Michelle, as a parent myself I have put much thought and great care in how I present ideas, because any idea can become dogmatic.

The reality is as a parent I think there is always a way to present something in a neutral manner. 'For me' the goal is to encourage my kids to think for themselves and impart the tools that best motivate this, not tell them what they should think.  I have 3 sons- 2 are exploring religious paths, one is not. In our home, we embrace diversity and on going discussions so we all can grow in openness and fairness.

Edited by Sherapy, 02 August 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#65    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think ALIENS showed us religion to help us become more civilized and that religion is just pretty much guidelines to good morals and to keep us away from barbaric killing and mindless destruction!  ANCIENT ALIENS THEORY!, my hair is a bird by the way...

#66    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostSherapy, on 02 August 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

IMO, you bring in a good point Michelle, as a parent myself I have put much thought and great care in how I present ideas, because any idea can become dogmatic.

The reality is as a parent I think there is always a way to present something in a neutral manner. 'For me' the goal is to encourage my kids to think for themselves and impart the tools that best motivate this, not tell them what they should think.  I have 3 sons- 2 are exploring religious paths, one is not. In our home, we embrace diversity and on going discussions so we all can grow in openness and fairness.
Posted Image

Posted Image

~MEH~

#67    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,175 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

Where can I find real information on what "most but not all atheists" think?   I mean...besides here, of course.  :D

It's interesting to think that because atheist parents don't believe in God, they don't push their beliefs on their kids.  I never thought that only the belief in God carries that dynamic in raising one's children.   Oops, I still don't!     Because I wouldn't want to get the idea that most atheists don't have any beliefs worth teaching their kids.  :innocent:

Yes I know that cute kitty cats and atheism are both so freaking popular, I should never ever rub two words together in opposition to either one.  But I will accept the study as valid and be open-minded to additional studies that may come.  Retention rate is an interesting variable.  To me it's an excellent measure of satisfaction that one didn't seek out alternatives and actually switch to one.  I don't join in generalizing all Christians as this, or all atheists as that, because there are remarkable amounts of individuality in everyone.  But if we do negatively generalize religion as indoctrination and positively generalize atheism as logic, then logic is losing the battle for hearts and minds according to this study and that's interesting enough to me.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#68    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,870 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 13 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

In an atheist household, nobody is indoctrinated. They are free to think what they want. Atheism is simply not believing. People who go from Atheism to a relegion as usually more informed and know what they're getting in to, rather than indoctrinated children just doing what they only know.

Good point.  Though many atheist who leave their faith actually don't get it as well.  Again, there are exceptions I know.  I have stayed in my faith because at a very young age I studied it, the good, the bad and the ugly as well as what is beautiful and transcendent.

peace
mark

#69    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,870 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

View Postcsspwns, on 15 July 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

but wat about dinosaurs?!!?!? do u believe in dinosaurs!?!?!? evolution?!?! i bet yur gonna say no ^_^

You don't read much do you, or least not outside what backs up you narrow understanding of a very complex and important aspect of human life.  Science has nothing to say about God, and many believers from the days of Darwin have no trouble with evolution or science for that matter.

peace
mark

#70    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,557 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostYamato, on 04 October 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yes I know that cute kitty cats and atheism are both so freaking popular

The Pew Forum, who's research this is, says that 1.6% of the US are atheist. You have an interesting definition of freaking popular.

But if we do negatively generalize religion as indoctrination and positively generalize atheism as logic, then logic is losing the battle for hearts and minds according to this study and that's interesting enough to me.

Alternately - perhaps what it's illustrating is that it's much harder to get out of an organised religion than it is to get out of atheism.

#71    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Y'see, when people get older they start to believe and read their holy books because as George Carlin said "They're cramming for their final exam"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users