Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Controlling Your Computer With Your Eyes

eye-tracking

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

An eye-tracking device and "smart" software

Millions of people suffering from multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injuries or amputees could soon interact with their computers and surroundings using just their eyes, thanks to a new device that costs less than £40.
Read more

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,802 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

That is one technology that is going to be great to have in a decade(at most).  Google already has some kind of iGlass(I don't remember it's name) thing in the works.

#3    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Nice, gives the less fortunate a chance to interact.

Nice find.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,556 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Wow, I got some friends who could use something like that.  I tried to get something for a friend who is locked in  her body with MS, but here in the States you can't get equipment like that unless you have big bucks.  I don't think this would work for her though her eyes don't track. Thanks, I'll send this to a friend's MS news site

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

that only will result people to become cross eyed

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Missing the 'Banned' Wagon

• 4,758 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

This could open up all sorts of possibilities, though the threads title was never really a question for me, just a matter of time.

Retailers have been using eye tracking for years to monitor test subjects wandering around stores for better product placement, for me this is just an extension of this.

Could soon be time to change Google to Goggle...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 15 July 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yeah I get it, I know why people see this as good... it jsut means you haven't seen the other stuff yet... You know like where we already ahve the technology to control stuff with brainwaves... I've seen it demo's, heck they even had it on top gear.

So whay are we now going backwards to something more inferiour?!

Also I've seen the video fo that guy who controlls a robot arm through him connecting himself to a computer... Now why isn't it easy to connect it just to type. Surely that's easier than controlling an arm?

Kinda confused by technology jsut now, 1 year we hear about something incredible, the next year we hear about something that's nowhere near as advanced... I find that strange?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,556 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

It is cheaper and more practical. It would also take less time to learn.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

wow tats cool

#10    godnodog

godnodog

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Like the begining og the text says its "a new budget device", because the tech, that is not new.

#11    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,756 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Awesome, soon the general public won't need to move at all either. We're going to evolve to a species with tiny spindly limbs, a fat torso and huge muscular eyes.

#12    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 4,758 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 16 July 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

Awesome, soon the general public won't need to move at all either. We're going to evolve to a species with tiny spindly limbs, a fat torso and huge muscular eyes.

A bit like this guy...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#13    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostKarlis, on 13 July 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

An eye-tracking device and "smart" software

Millions of people suffering from multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injuries or amputees could soon interact with their computers and surroundings using just their eyes, thanks to a new device that costs less than £40.

Since my precious daughter is one of those with MS, I find this extremely interesting.  Many, many thanks for the heads up on this article.  I need to pursue it further.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#14    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

• 4,758 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostKludge808, on 16 July 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Since my precious daughter is one of those with MS, I find this extremely interesting.  Many, many thanks for the heads up on this article.  I need to pursue it further.

Keep an eye on it :tu:

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#15    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostCoffey, on 15 July 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Yeah I get it, I know why people see this as good... it jsut means you haven't seen the other stuff yet... You know like where we already ahve the technology to control stuff with brainwaves... I've seen it demo's, heck they even had it on top gear.

The problem is there is no "one size fits all" or even "one size fits most" solution.  Parkinson's, for example, is a neurological disorder so using brainwaves really can't be counted on to work that well.  With that, I've seen the same brainwave controlled devices and I've also seen the price tags associated with them.  This is a far less expensive approach that doesn't depend on brainwaves to accomplish the same end.

Kinda confused by technology jsut now, 1 year we hear about something incredible, the next year we hear about something that's nowhere near as advanced... I find that strange?

I don't see this as less advanced.  Instead, I see it as a different approach to cover situations where the older tech isn't viable or isn't affordable - or both.  Among other things I see it as a means for my daughter to regain some of what she's lost and retain what she has longer.  Or, stated another way, it hits real close to home for me.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users