Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#16    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

I was really looking forward to this article, that was until I read it.

If I may...

Ray Kurzweil, a world-renowned scientist and author

Ray Kurzweil an author.

One of the changes he thinks are possible: Scientists may finally crack immortality.

One of the changes he thinks are possible.

our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, aging," he writes in The Sun

he writes in The Sun.

Kurzweil, whose fans include Bill Gates adn Bill Clinton, makes a number of other substantial claims

Lol, fans and substantial claims.

Oh, virtual sex will also be commonplace in the not-so-distant future.

You can argue that cyber sex is virtual sex, thanks for pointing out something that is already common place, well done.

Kurzweil concludes, "We can look forward to a world where humans become cyborgs

Is this really something to look forward to?

Ray Kurzweil may be thought if in high regards by many, but I was not impressed this time around (maybe I should read his books).

Sorry for the rant, I am now breathing calmly again. :tu:

View Postand then, on 17 July 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

I saw a miniseries similar to this called TORCHWOOD Miracle Day.  It tells a story of a time when people are no longer able to die.  The overpopulation is instantly a problem among many others that would come with such a jump in population.  Not such a paradise.

I definitely agree a world of immortals would not be a paradise, but I think it would be an exclusive for the extremely rich and connected. Once them and their families are sorted restrictions of use would be enforced to keep it exclusive and not available for the masses of the world population.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 18 July 2012 - 10:57 AM.

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#17    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 18 July 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Well to bad for most of the world, as this treatment I would assume comes with a very BIG price.

And well at least the rich will live forever

View PostHilander, on 18 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

You can bet only the rich will be able to afford this.

Was gonna say that!!! On another note, methink Social Security's not gonna like it, not gonna like it!!! Imagine working 'til 67 (retirement age) and get paid for 5 or 600 years???? WOW  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#18    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

People are forgetting some things when talking about population.

Firstly key scientists etc will be given it, so they should hopefully be able to get further. Hopefully space travel etc will be researched faster and new technologies etc.

Secondly, you really think e ery average joe will get this?! You will have to pay ALOT for this. It will be the rich and elite that get it. So they can run the world forever...

Edited by Coffey, 18 July 2012 - 11:08 AM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#19    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostCoffey, on 18 July 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

It will be the rich and elite that get it. So they can run the world forever...

And once they got it there will be no rush, so they can walk the world forever...

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#20    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Isn't Kurzweil the chap predicting the technological "singularity" where computers become more intelligent than humans and take over the world ? So who/what is going to be running the show the rampant computers or the immortal geriatrics ? My money would be on neither of the above.

#21    karmakazi

karmakazi

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• Mirror, mirror on the floor, am I the prettiest at the store? -BLR

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostHabitat, on 18 July 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Isn't Kurzweil the chap predicting the technological "singularity" where computers become more intelligent than humans and take over the world ? So who/what is going to be running the show the rampant computers or the immortal geriatrics ? My money would be on neither of the above.

The Matrix trilogy just got a lot less sexy.

Nothing is true.  Everything is permitted.
If video games start making sense is it a sign of the end?

The Journey

#22    SPETSNAZ95

SPETSNAZ95

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Even if they did figure out how to make humans immortal i doubt they would just be handing immortality to the public, most likely will be thousands if not millions of dollars

#23    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostSPETSNAZ95, on 18 July 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Even if they did figure out how to make humans immortal i doubt they would just be handing immortality to the public, most likely will be thousands if not millions of dollars

I won't be losing any sleep over it. Billionaires die at ages not much difference from the rest of us, and I doubt it's from squibbing on the medical attention.

#24    Skithia

Skithia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

The whole way of running the economy would have to change. Yes at first only the rich would be able to afford it and would probably get greedy wanting to keep it exclusive so population control would be enforced for the rest of us we are already wage slaves in a big way but as long as we are a source of profit for them they would want to keep us around - if computers and robotics also advance and our functions are less and less needful so would we be in the minds of these immortals.

It would be lovely to think we would grow up a bit and be wiser as a race with this but the elite havent changed much in the last couple of hundred years in fact if you compare the history of the tactics used by the Glasgow merchants just before the American revolution to the Bankers of today - they havent learnt a thing. Something that made them immortal would just make them think they need to horde more and more of the earths limited resources to themselves, the only use for us would be if space travel became viable - then it would be us shipped off still living our short dangerous lives (as we would be considered a disposable resource) in order to gather even more for them. If such a future was all you could look forward to - would you even want immortality if it was offered? If your job bores you now - imagine doing it for a hundred years or so.

#25    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

There is absolutely no prospect of immortality, and if lifespans are significantly extended even by a decade or two, the system will collapse from the weight of aged care costs, pensions etc. Don't think people will want to be working to 80 to make up the difference.

#26    DeathRain2012

DeathRain2012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

• There's some **** out there bro.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Doesn't everybody want to die someday? Thats the whole beauty of life, we cease to exist after years of making history.

#27    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostDeathRain2012, on 18 July 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Doesn't everybody want to die someday? Thats the whole beauty of life, we cease to exist after years of making history.

What??? I can't be only one?  :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#28    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'd love me some immortality.
Of course, it would have it's downsides...

#29    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,682 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Uh...call me crazy, but I don't think I want nanobots replacing my blood cells. Well, at least until they explain how it works, can I get a set of Adamantium claws to go with it, pretty please?

#30    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,321 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

View Postdanydandan, on 18 July 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

Who are these scientists . ???????????????? Names please
Did you read the article?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users