Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#76    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 19 July 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

However there are many gravestones from past centuries (including here in the UK) that indicate the occupants lived to 200, 300 and beyond.

Really? That can't be possible though. Maybe they weren't good with math? Could be a joke left behind by the deceased?

#77    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,362 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 19 July 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

The old age record for a person in the Gusiness Book of Records is 122.

However there are many gravestones from past centuries (including here in the UK) that indicate the occupants lived to 200, 300 and beyond.
Do you know where those graves are exactly? I did a quick google search and couldn't come up with anyone older than 107.

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#78    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostCoffey, on 19 July 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Most of the planets wilderness has other "Earthlings" living there. Unless you mean areas so remote there is no wild animals that would suffer from more cities. More farming = More polution by the way. People aren't just thinking of over crowding. If your answer was that easy people in Africa wouldn't be starving right now.

Before telling other posters they are wrong check your facts. Note the following population density map - http://en.wikipedia....ulation_density

India, China, Western and Central Europe, Japan and one or two other countries have high population densities. Most of the remaining planet is low population density with vast expanses of wilderness. Forests, jungles, plains and deserts occupy most of the planet not cities and farms. The planet is vastly under-populated and we dont do anything with 95% of its usable land.

#79    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostSpid3rCyd3, on 19 July 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Really? That can't be possible though. Maybe they weren't good with math? Could be a joke left behind by the deceased?

For longetivity claims to be accepted as fact requires a birth certificate but birth certificates didnt exist in the UK prior to the 1850s (similar dates elsewhere).

Example - In the Shoreditch burial register (UK) theres an entry saying that Thomas Cam of Holywell street died aged 207 - http://www.british-h...px?compid=45090 - but its before birth certificates existed.

The Christain Saint Servatius was born in 8 AD and died in 384 AD (age at death was 376) - http://en.wikipedia....Saint_Servatius - again before birth certificates.

There are 100s of claims of people from Siberia saying they are over 160 (many still alive) but thats before Russia introduced birth certificates too.

#80    Danten

Danten

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

• After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus but I would still have to bum rides off of people.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

This will, of course, have some serious drawbacks I'm sure.  Just wish I knew what they were.

#81    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 19 July 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

For longetivity claims to be accepted as fact requires a birth certificate but birth certificates didnt exist in the UK prior to the 1850s (similar dates elsewhere).

Example - In the Shoreditch burial register (UK) theres an entry saying that Thomas Cam of Holywell street died aged 207 - http://www.british-h...px?compid=45090 - but its before birth certificates existed.

The Christain Saint Servatius was born in 8 AD and died in 384 AD (age at death was 376) - http://en.wikipedia....Saint_Servatius - again before birth certificates.

There are 100s of claims of people from Siberia saying they are over 160 (many still alive) but thats before Russia introduced birth certificates too.

That's interesting! I never heard about any of that before, thanks Mr. RW :tu:

#82    Grey14

Grey14

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostCoffey, on 19 July 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Most of the planets wilderness has other "Earthlings" living there. Unless you mean areas so remote there is no wild animals that would suffer from more cities. More farming = More polution by the way. People aren't jsut thinking of over crowding. If your answer was that easy people in Africa wouldn't be starving right now.

Not sure why you mentioned staving people in africa. If they tended farms they would not be starving. Oh but wait there is more to it than that. they dont farm because in the words of an immortal comic "They live in a f@cking desert!"

If you farm the right places you can feed billions.

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#83    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostGrey14, on 19 July 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

If they tended farms they would not be starving.

Grey, is this part of the comical bit of your post or a serious statement?

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#84    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 19 July 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Grey, is this part of the comical bit of your post or a serious statement?

The problem with Ethiopia is its people are backwards.

If England existed there we would have irrigated the fields and if needed built desalination plants to secure our water supplies.

#85    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 19 July 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

The problem with Ethiopia is its people are backwards.

If England existed there we would have irrigated the fields and if needed built desalination plants to secure our water supplies.

Its a bit harsh comparing the agricultural skill of an poorly educated third world farmer living in a semi-desert environment to a western farmer in Northern Europe.

'If England existed there' (as you so eloquently put it ;) ) we would not irrigate the fields and build desalination plants if needed. We would travel north, out of the mid-day sun and into a greener environment.

Well that's what I would do, enjoy the desert MRW, I will be in France enjoying the wine and wondering where Blighty has gone. :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb, 20 July 2012 - 12:59 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#86    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,231 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Its a bit harsh comparing the agricultural skill of an poorly educated third world farmer living in a semi-desert environment to a western farmer in Northern Europe.

'If England existed there' (as you so eloquently put it ;) ) we would not irrigate the fields and build desalination plants if needed. We would travel north, out of the mid-day sun and into a greener environment.

Well that's what I would do, enjoy the desert MRW, I will be in France enjoying the wine and wondering where Blighty has gone. :tu:

You surely cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Soil quality and water (usually dependent on climate) are what dictates whether an area is suitable for agriculture.

#87    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Ok if a Los Angeles farmer........ oh look they manage quite well in a desert.

Securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding. Where I live in England the water is taken from the sea, desalinated and purified. But as I said Ethiopia is backwards. Do they even have electricity and motorways?

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 20 July 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#88    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,167 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 20 July 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Ok if a Los Angeles farmer........ oh look they manage quite well in a desert.

Securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding. Where I live in England the water is taken from the sea, desalinated and purified. But as I said Ethiopia is backwards. Do they even have electricity and motorways?

The truth is the lack of farming and resultant famine in Ethiopia has more to do with the political and resulting military conditions in the region than anything else.  And to get the thread back on track, perhaps after they become immortal they will figure it out. :innocent:

#89    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think that fear of death is what leads one to want immortality. If you could be immortal, however, the fear of the death would be gone, which would mean that once you have what you want, you're whole reason for wanting it is gone. Life would become meaningless.

Posted Image

#90    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostVein Capital, on 20 July 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I think that fear of death is what leads one to want immortality. If you could be immortal, however, the fear of the death would be gone, which would mean that once you have what you want, you're whole reason for wanting it is gone. Life would become meaningless.

So says the one who is already immortal! Wipe that blood off your chin! ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users