Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Wig Suggestions :-)

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

http://www.e-wigs.co...r-patients.html

Miss me?

#17    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

http://www.wigsforcancerpatients.org/

Miss me?

#18    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

I hope she's up and around soon.
I don't think you're in the USA,but maybe there places can help you .
I lost one of my best friends to mesothelioma,and my other best pal had breast cancer.
Xxoo
http://breastcancer...._for_cancer.htm

Miss me?

#19    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 24 July 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

I hope she's up and around soon.
I don't think you're in the USA,but maybe there places can help you .
I lost one of my best friends to mesothelioma,and my other best pal had breast cancer.
Xxoo
http://breastcancer...._for_cancer.htm

I'm so sorry, for the loss of your friend :cry:

Thank you for the suggestions too- and to everyone else. :tsu:  I reckon Elton's wig might be a bit flamboyant, even for me, but you did give me such a laugh, with all your wonderful suggestions and links. You guys are brilliant xxx  :tu:

It is a really crackers time for me, as my mate's illness has hit at a time when I'm also training for a big charity sea swim, which I am undertaking in September, so I was busy with running a business as well (not for too much longer, but long and boring story! Just nothing is timed well in life, just roll with the punches hey!). All the training for swimming I've been preparing for, an 11 mile open swim for local charities, so to put it mildly, this has filled all my time totally. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. It also gives extra meaning to raising the funds for the swim, as the local chemotherapy unit I am swimming for (amongst other beneficiaries) are going to be the ones who will be treating her, to it all falls into place in ways we could not have predicted, even 5 weeks ago xx :yes:

We've gone together, to have fluid drained from her former booby space- I am certainly leaving behind any fear of ikky stuff, and being proper brave....kind of.... :whistle:

She's met things head-on, like she has always done her whole life. Yesterday- hairdressers appointment. She sent a message: "Booked the appointment. Been in this morning. Done it. . Hair short now. Bang. No point in * :whistle:-ing about, is there? I think it looks cool". That's my Bird!! :clap:

You're so right, BiffSplitKins, she'll still be beautiful. I've called her a lil sex kitten on email, now she's got short hair, LOL. She'll tell me to feck off with a smile, if I say that to her face tomorrow, and then we'll fall about laughing :lol:

She's been going bats with cabin fever being stuck at home, as she has always driven everywhere herself and even used to do banger racing, but she's driven a bit today and it was alright, the seat belt was not too painful with her softie in.

Tomorrow, she's been called to the hospital, I think it's about starting her chemo. She hasn't said too much, just asked if I can go with her. So we'll know more tomorrow about how it's going to pan out for the next few weeks. Whatever it takes, we'll work around it somehow :yes:

THANK YOU so much, to you All. You are just great. :clap: :clap: xx

Edited by sarah snow, 25 July 2012 - 11:37 PM.

A stumbling block is merely a stepping stone you tripped over

#20    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,449 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

No one could ask for a better friend than you, sarah. My heart goes out to both of you! :wub:

#21    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

LOL, she had a total laugh at my expense yesterday. I am petrified of escalators- they freak me out! I can't be doing with that whole movable staircase thing :no:  She knows it too, as years ago when I was an air hostess, I used to whine beyond big time to her on the telephone, about having to navigate the big one at Manchester airport, if we flew in there. And trying to get on one, whilst towing a crew bag- arghh!! She used to larf at me so much every time, bless her :yes:

So last week I found out she needed shopping........and she dared me......to go to a local big supermarket, and they've got 2 levels........with an escalator...for the trolley....... :unsure2:

I did it, but she laughed her left one off both ways, while I clung to her back all the way up...and down.... was horrible!! :blush: :blush:

But at least now her lovely little granddaughter will not be able to take the piss out of me anymore LOL :tsu:

#22    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,589 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Ok, I just read the OP and didn't read much else..

Boo-ya to you!!! Rock on :)

I will make suggestions for both of you. I say this from the personal experience of a father in law and husband that went through cancer and passed away. My current mum in law is now fully healed from surgery and is coming on her year mark of medically clear, hooray! And my sister loves using wigs, and she's pretty picky about them since she regularly wears them.

For nicer wigs, try looking for costume rental or sale shops in your area that are open year round. If you can find a rental that also sells, those are the best ones. Some haberdashers and hair styling places can have good stuff too.
Unless you have tried it on in person or totally trust a particular wigmakers product line, don't order something without trying it on in person.
Ask the medical staff what places they recommend. And if you see something you like on a fellow patient, don't feel too weird about asking them if their hair is real and if not where did they get their wig from. You can gain valuable resources and make another patient feel good about their choice of accoutrements.
Don't be afraid of either one of you being totally sexy bald or closely cropped. Yes, it is unusual in women, but some women just got sexy noggins that way.

Look for wigs that are multisegment. By this I mean look at the mesh skullcap that's holding the hair. Avoid ones that are a single to three part cap. Good wigs usually have at least five parts- bangs, sides, crown strip and back of neck part. Some good wigs have more strips, but don't be fooled by a ton of strips. Some of the crappier wigs come from sewing together fringes of hair into caps.

Human hair wigs are available, but can be pricey. If either one of you loves your hair and can afford to have it set into a wig, by all means do so. If either one of you have good hair but can't afford a wig, consider donating your hair. Contact whatever agency locally you would use to donate and see if there is any availability to help you use your own hair for your wig. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it's a no-go.
If you aren't quite so ok with human hair or can't afford it or get resource help with it.. there are a lot of synthetics out there now that are quite good. It's just a matter of treating them as nicely as you would your "real" hair.

Be aware that wigs really do make your head bigger. Don't be alarmed if/when headgear fits different. Like that baseball cap needs a notch or few release, or that favorite winter knit cap just does not work like it used to. I passed off a flatcap recently to my sister because it was too loose on my currently wigless hair but she wears wigs on a weekly basis. Looked poor on me but looks great on her with the wigs to support it.

Edited by rashore, 26 July 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#23    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

We went together yesterday, for the consultations. First to get the booby drain, then to the Doctor who is heading up the chemo unit.

Funny thing, the Nurse put the fear of bejeezus up both up us by saying that the Doc is "not a fluffy bunny" and would "tell it as it is, and be very direct", and that we should "Be Prepared"

:unsure2:  How much was I like expecting a terrible School Ma'am, after THAT prep talk :unsure2:

What we both experienced, was a wonderfully competent Doctor, who was actually not scary at all. What she said, was scary- there is evidence of agressive cancer in one lump, but they can blast that. It's the first time, I've seen my mate flinch. BUT, we knew that anyway :yes: She just said afterwards, it's like she's hearing it and not being part of it, dissassociation.

It's not spread to any of the lymph nodes, so it's a good thing. We knew that before.

Must admit, I was like a naughty schoolgirl, in front of the Doc.

After we came out, I just exhaled a lot, and said "She actually wasn't scary at all, was she?"

Flower: "No, I thought that too!" (Not that she's afraid of anything, she never had been. Funny, the toughest farmer I know would not take her on in a fight LOL xx  :-* )

I just thought, and said to Flower that the Consultant was a lovely woman. She didn't soft-soap at all. Told it, as it will be. Flower wants that- she doesn't want endless leaflets, all that crap. Face to face honesty, no matter what she is going to hear. She's always been that way :yes:

But the Doctor was actually a very warm person. She had very kind eyes, and when she was explaining to Flower about the harshness of the treatment, she was also looking at me, to make sure I understood, as she had been told I was the support friend who will be there throughout. We were both so impressed.

LOL. I also confessed to Flower afterwards, that Doc's shoes were quite sparkly, and I was loving them  :w00t:

So, it begins in about 2-3 weeks. Not going to be pleasant, but she's got two lovely sons who will be ther 100%, and the hardest thing for her is if she feels poorly, she's not to not have contact with the little'uns. She spends so much time with her granddaughter. That was another flinch, I saw :-(  xxxx

We went shopping, and I've bought her a pineberry plant!! Her granddaughter is transfixed, and they've had so much fun together planting it in the garden. Flower has explained to her Granddaughter, that if they manage to get fruit from it, it will look like a bit like a strawberry on the outside (but weird) , but taste a bit like pineapple. She can't wait for the fruit to be ready :clap:

Happy Days xxxxx

Flower is signed off work for 6 weeks, but she going to work on Monday. I'm not going to try in any way, shape or form to dissuade her. This woman knows her limits, and I think she's going to go in to sort out her rotas (she manages the place) so she can ensure it effectively works, now she has some guidelines for time frames.

I stand in awe, as always xx

Edited by sarah snow, 28 July 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#24    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostMichelle, on 25 July 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

No one could ask for a better friend than you, sarah. My heart goes out to both of you! :wub:

Michelle, if you could have known how much she's been there for me over the years, it really is just being there for her now, as she has always been there for me xx She's very special. I was always the fluffy one, but not any more xx. She just deserves my support 100%. I love her to her bones, it's as simple as that. If she's upset about losing her hair, I can go through that with her.  I can't do the eyebrows, the eyelashes..... when we were sitting there and hearing that.....I just wanted to cry, but she was strong throughout. It really is nothing to sacrifice on my part, when she is faced with so much more xx

We will get through this, and your lovely wishes are so much appreciated xx :yes:

Edited by sarah snow, 28 July 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#25    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

A bit sad, as my Mother has been very negative, about this. I did know, it would happen.

We're not doing it with any fanfare. In fact, we'd only been talking about her son having some hair clippers. I'm just wantng to do it quietly, and if her son will do it, at her home, just us and her son/s, privately :yes:

My Mother has said I am making my mate's  hair loss "a big issue, when it doesn't need to be".

YOU do so much for everyone else  *rant rant* and nobody does anything for you *rant rant*

I know she's looking out for me, but on this occasion- she is wrong, IMHO.

I think so. But it makes me sad, she's hoofed out tonight in a mare. I try not to disrespect my Mother, but she isn't always right, about choices I make in my life. I'm an only child, so it's difficult for her, I get that xx :-(

Edited by sarah snow, 30 July 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#26    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,065 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hi Sarah,

Your mother is probably concerned at the thought of you shaving all your hair off, but perhaps once it's gone she will be more acceptable of what you've done and your reasons why. You can't stop mum's from worrying, that's what we do best :yes:

Talking of wigs. When I was in hospital recently there was this dark haired lady who arrived on the ward rather late one night, and they were getting her ready for surgery. I took note of the fact that she was having such a late operation. Anyway next morning I was looking across at her in bed and noticed she was wearing a head scarf which at the time I didn't think too much about, until at lunch time she joined us at the table and started speaking about her hair loss after treatment for cancer. The point I'm trying to make is when she first arrived on the ward I never in a million years suspected she was wearing a wig, it looked so real and natural, it just goes to show how life-like they can be.

All the best to your friend Sarah, and to you also. She is lucky to have so much support from you. That said, I can understand why you're prepared to do this without hesitation, friends are very special people. Good luck to you both on a long and emotional journey together xx

Posted Image

#27    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thank you, SW, for those sensitive and informed comments. I don't have children myself, and won't have now, so it's something I can never understand. I try to take on board everything, although it is difficult to see certain aspects of things sometimes, when you have not ever experienced it for yourself :yes:

I am having my hair done to a grade 1 privately, and there is nothing about it that is 'public'. Nobody around me in our village or anywhere near knows I subscribe to this Forum, so it truly is a private choice. A few chosen and trusted friends know- and as I've had my hair bleached and dyed several colours (I do have a reputation for being a bit wacky anyway :w00t:  they will just think a wig is part of my fundraising for my charity sea swim). There has never been an intention to make any sort of statement. They'll just think it's me being my usual doofus, fundraising self :su And as I'm not even going to be living here after end of August- I truly don't see the harm, if I'm not going to be parading anything round, which would never happen anyway xx

I will discuss it with Lynda face to face- she was expecting the crap to hit the fan anyway. But she's the only one IMHO, who can say if this is right or wrong. She has had a giggle about it, and anticipated it. But I have to float the question. She knows our difficult relationship (Mother & I) over the years as she's always seen it and experienced it, since we've been friends over the years, so I believe she's best placed to say in this situation, what is best for HER, vis-a-vis any action I take, or what I do to support her in this battle xxxx .

#28    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Lynda has laughed out loud, at my frenzy, that she said she had to be "tomorrow in the morning", at hospital for a consultation.

Sarah Doofus, freaking out, and about to send emergency texts for a staff member to cover me. I though she meant we had to be in on Sunday- big time juggling!! It's Monday....phewwww!!

Flower is precise in everything - swine woman, almost gave me a heart attack!!  :P

Good time to 'fess up, and Lynda is 100% behind my hair shave. Said do it, and raise money for charity, if you want. Me- no, because this is at the end of the day, about you & me, and just us.

She is going to get poked and prodded and feel like bleughhh, but this is the one thing, where I can be there for her. It's private, just for Us  xxxx.

Said she feels so surreal these days, all this to come will simply be another laugh in our landscape, ultimately. Next year, we are so going on holiday again!! I asked her if there was a destination where we had not been yet, and wanted to go. She said Tobago. We are SO going there!! I LOVE her to her bones xxxxx :clap: :clap:

Edited by sarah snow, 05 August 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#29    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

sarah, you are tops. I think your friend must be a very special person too. Friendships throughout life are what make it tolerable, though good friends are like platinum gold with diamonds sprinkled on top. She is a very lucky lady.

I think getting similar wigs would be awesome. :-*

Posted Image

#30    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 05 August 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

sarah, you are tops. I think your friend must be a very special person too. Friendships throughout life are what make it tolerable, though good friends are like platinum gold with diamonds sprinkled on top. She is a very lucky lady.

I think getting similar wigs would be awesome. :-*

Couldn't agree more with Misty, you are a top friend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users