Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What would happen if Nessie was discovered ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Wikimedia Commons</strong>
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
Taylor Reints: The Loch Ness Monster has received a lot of press recently, due to a bill in Louisiana which gives students state voucher money to attend private schools; of which some have an irrational curriculum (called Accelerated Christian Education, or ACE) stating that Nessie disproves evolution (and so do living dinosaurs, the second law of thermodynamics, the idea that humans and dinosaurs coexisted–among other falsehoods), even though it has never even been discovered. But what if the Loch Ness Monster was discovered? Could this have implications on evolutionary theory?

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I dont think it disproves evolution one bit.

But it blows the doors open for other cryptids.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,476 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Sure would.  If Nessie were discovered in something as relativley small as a lake after all of this time searching for it that would go along way to legitamizing the possibilty/claims of sasquatch and other cryptids in much larger habitats.

Edited by OverSword, 23 July 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

What would happen is that it would be classified, DNA taken, relationship to other animal groups determined and if dead, it would be put on display in a museum.

If the question is: What would it do to religious faith? Probably nothing. In fact the discovery of extra-terrestrial life would likely have little effect on religious faith. If one believes in a transcendent, omnipotent God, then He created all things, whether we have found them yet or not.

Despite that the age of earth exploration is, for all practical purposes over, new animal and plant species are still discovered each year, including some real living fossils like a primitive cave dwelling marine eel and a conifer discovered in S.E. Australia. These things are often hidden away in deep sea, deep jungle or some other place few humans go. It is unlike that we will find a dinosaur alive in Loch Ness, or even the Congo, but plants and animals long thought dead or known only from fossils have a strange way of showing up and confounding scientists. Look up Ginko biloba and the Coelacanth.

#5    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

It would be great day untill they turn it into sushi or hamburgers.

#6    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

I'm glad that someone finally wrote an excellent article explaining why this Loch Ness Monster ACE bull**** is absurd. Wonderful article.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#7    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

Nessie disproves evolution?

Damn, I've been looking at this the wrong way. I always thought she was an advertising product for the Scottish Tourism Board. :alien:

#8    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

EternalSeer

• 3,939 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

It would be an incredible find, although I doubt it will happen. Interesting article, but finding Nessie wouldn't disprove evolution.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#9    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostArbitran, on 29 July 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

I'm glad that someone finally wrote an excellent article explaining why this Loch Ness Monster ACE bull**** is absurd. Wonderful article.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I found that the Accelerated Christian Education curriculum uses so many inaccuracies as foundations for their viewpoints that I had to refute one of them. :)

Edited by TaylorReints, 30 July 2012 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

#10    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

One question going through my mind is: why wouldnt these same people use a shark as example. They havent changed for millions of years. And even THAT logic fails them, because according to their beliefs the world is only 8000 yrs old anyways. I just thought myself into a circle. Damn pretzel logic. The curse of being a mule.

Carry on....

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#11    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostThe Mule, on 31 July 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

One question going through my mind is: why wouldnt these same people use a shark as example. They havent changed for millions of years. And even THAT logic fails them, because according to their beliefs the world is only 8000 yrs old anyways. I just thought myself into a circle. Damn pretzel logic. The curse of being a mule.

Carry on....

I'm surprised ACE and other creationists didn't say the same for the coelacanth. Because we all know how a marine animal previously undiscovered to science could shift our ideas on evolution... :yes:

Edited by TaylorReints, 31 July 2012 - 01:48 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users