Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Jellyfish Made From Rat Cells [merged]

jellyfish scientists water

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    jimbur

jimbur

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined:19 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Between here and there.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Now Frankenstein can have a pet jellyfish. A team of scientists has taken the heart cells of a rat, arranged them on a piece of rubbery silicon, added a jolt of electricity, and created a “Franken-jelly.” Just like a real jellyfish.






Read More.... http://www.wired.com...sh-heart-cells/

Jim

#2    Left-Field

Left-Field

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 3,489 posts
  • Joined:15 Aug 2009

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Interesting, but I do wonder if it would really be classified as a jellyfish due to the fact I don't know if it is considered to be something that is living.


#3    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Shouldn't play god......

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Nice, now just make this ability into something useful.

Or start racing them, 10-1 odds on easy.

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#5    ozman

ozman

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Joined:18 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minneapolis, MN

  • luv the unexplained

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

Rat muscle + rubbery film = world's first artificial jellyfish


I was reading last night that they made the world's first artificial jellyfish with muscles that were even contracting before the electricity was applied to simulate real movement of real jellyfish.

When electricity was applied, it moved like real jellyfish in liquid.


Posted Image

http://www.csmonitor...icial-jellyfish

Edited by ozman, 23 July 2012 - 11:47 PM.

Posted Image

#6    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

    Unknown title error

  • Member
  • 3,233 posts
  • Joined:19 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostCoffey, on 23 July 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

Shouldn't play god......
LOL. God gave us the ability to play. He knows all and made it possible for us. What a great Guy.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#7    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 24 July 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

LOL. God gave us the ability to play. He knows all and made it possible for us. What a great Guy.

Well I'm not a believer in God, but I personally beleive that nature has had such a long time to perfect it's self etc and humans start doing it when compared to nature we are young.

Nature will always win, it will always find a way and we will never be able to fully conquer it. So playing "creator" in my opinion is a bad move. There is a fine balance on this planet (well there was until we started messing it up) and I jsut know that one day if ther eis an apocylapse of any kind. It will msot likely be from our own doing and msot likely through one of our "creations". In my opinion it will be natures way of saying "you went too far and now you need to learn". Sadly innocent children will suffer for the mistakes of scientists who want to "play god".

The CDC had a problem recently where the "bioterror" areas air system let our air from that area into an unprotected area. Luckily they said nobody got infected.... But it just takes one slight error (we are human) and bang.... Something could wipe us out. I don't mind them working on cures for bad viruses and diseases. But it's a bit different when they are CREATING the bad viruses etc to be used as weapons.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    blueandi

blueandi

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined:25 Mar 2009

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostCoffey, on 24 July 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Well I'm not a believer in God, but I personally beleive that nature has had such a long time to perfect it's self etc and humans start doing it when compared to nature we are young.

Nature will always win, it will always find a way and we will never be able to fully conquer it. So playing "creator" in my opinion is a bad move. There is a fine balance on this planet (well there was until we started messing it up) and I jsut know that one day if ther eis an apocylapse of any kind. It will msot likely be from our own doing and msot likely through one of our "creations". In my opinion it will be natures way of saying "you went too far and now you need to learn". Sadly innocent children will suffer for the mistakes of scientists who want to "play god".

The CDC had a problem recently where the "bioterror" areas air system let our air from that area into an unprotected area. Luckily they said nobody got infected.... But it just takes one slight error (we are human) and bang.... Something could wipe us out. I don't mind them working on cures for bad viruses and diseases. But it's a bit different when they are CREATING the bad viruses etc to be used as weapons.
So every time a doctor saves a life, with even primitive medicine then is he "playing god" as you put it? Or should we all just accept what nature has in store for us, despite having the intelligence to put it right? Mankind has been "playing god" since we first came down from the trees if you want to put it that way.
Who picks and chooses what technologies we explore, not scientists but politicians my friend, and any apocalypse will be economic.


#9    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postblueandi, on 24 July 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

So every time a doctor saves a life, with even primitive medicine then is he "playing god" as you put it? Or should we all just accept what nature has in store for us, despite having the intelligence to put it right? Mankind has been "playing god" since we first came down from the trees if you want to put it that way.
Who picks and chooses what technologies we explore, not scientists but politicians my friend, and any apocalypse will be economic.

AS I SAID: It's alright when they are making cures for things, but when they are CREATING new strians of virus etc it's bad. (Which is common sense) Creating life is not good either. Ther eis a difference between saving lifes and creating life. There is also a huge difference between making cures for natural viruses etc and creating new deadlier ones. (which I think is the stupidist thing they do)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#10    jaguarsky

jaguarsky

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2005

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have read a couple of articles about the franken-jelly and I still don't know how they keep the cells "alive".


#11    BaneSilvermoon

BaneSilvermoon

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Joined:13 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Louisville, KY USA

  • "You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostCoffey, on 24 July 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

There is a difference between saving lifes and creating life.

There is also a difference between attaching a few heart cells to a piece of silicone and creating life. Is applying electrical stimulus to the muscles in a detached frogs leg creating life? Because this is the exact same experiment.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon, 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM.

http://www.youtube.c.../BaneSIlvermoon

"Psychic Fayre cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances"  ~Thanks Oppono Astos!!

#12    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Joined:18 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Past the stars and beyond the moon !

  • Beam Moo Up!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't see how it could be considered life unless it feeds.


#13    Sundew

Sundew

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,506 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:An island by the sea.

  • Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Not "life", merely a construct using heart cells which beat rhythmically. The cells will likely not live long and the "jellyfish" will become a slice of floating silicone once more.

Now when scientists can build one with artificial nematocysts, then I'll really be impressed.

Edited by Sundew, 24 July 2012 - 07:13 PM.


#14    Thepeak12

Thepeak12

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined:10 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Ok so we have a pseudo jelly fish. Now what?


#15    csspwns

csspwns

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Francisco, CA

  • "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

next we could try making clones of humans

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users