Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where you look shows what you're going to say

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,161 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

New Scientist said:

Watch where you look – it can be used to predict what you'll say. A new study shows that it is possible to guess what sentences people will use to describe a scene by tracking their eye movements.

Moreno Coco and Frank Keller at the University of Edinburgh, UK, presented 24 volunteers with a series of photo-realistic images depicting indoor scenes such as a hotel reception. They then tracked the sequence of objects that each volunteer looked at after being asked to describe what they saw.

Other than being prompted with a keyword, such as "man" or "suitcase", participants were free to describe the scene however they liked. Some typical sentences included "the man is standing in the reception of a hotel" or "the suitcase is on the floor".

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

the eyes follow where the mind goes. /shrug

i expect we'll see the forerunner of this technology quite soon... no doubt watching what products we look at in the mall so it can tailor the radio advertisements we'll hear as we drive back home?

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 14,689 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

If they put an attractive woman in the picture, all the hetero males would be looking at would be her, no matter what they're describing ;)

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,142 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

If you have had some training in observing human behaviour, you can tell a lot from body movement and the eyes are most important, ie:- the pupils shrink when people lie,others look anywhere except at you,there is a book by Desmond Morris called Observing Human Behaviour,which is worth a look if anyone is interested.It certainly taught me a lot ref powers of observation in my work before I retired.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users