Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

not crazy~ unexplained soaking mattress

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

LOL,

Video record it, then see the results.
to me its the only way, unless this is a hit and run.

i took a picture

Can we see the picture?

Thanks,

Edited by Super-Fly, 24 July 2012 - 01:11 PM.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#17    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,098 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostSakari, on 24 July 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

There was a topic identical to this a while back......Can't find it....

I agree, pictures or video would be nice.

Here it is

http://www.unexplain...pic=215858&st=0

Edited by Brian Topp, 24 July 2012 - 02:41 PM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#18    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 24 July 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Thanks,

Looks like this one is a hit and run though.....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#19    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

What do you mean by soaked? In my mind that's quite a lot of liquid, like a pillow dripping wet, or a mattress being saturated to the point of needing several days at least to dry out. Like someone dumped a gallon pitcher of water on the bed rather than a glass of water.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#20    haeson012

haeson012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

nope...haven't slept in the bed since. im on the couch....and it happened again...theres nothing on top of my bed as to blackets....bare mattress .... last night i put this powder subtance that absorbes liquids and becomes crumbly...well just got home at night to find majority dried out.....so i vacummed all the powder/crumb off....it got soaked again....and the door room was closed off....went to go use the bathroom and notcied it was soaked...again....we took a knife and ripped open the mattress....the yellow foam is so soaked the liquid was gushing out.....sounds like a prank....but theres no one else here to do this ****...

#21    haeson012

haeson012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

imagine about 3 gallons of water just poured onto the bed....soaked as in it took about 3/4 days to dry...

using a hair dryer...air conditioner blasting ......used comforters to soak up as much up....that wet

#22    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,912 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

You sure it's not a fancy water-bed that's sprung a leak?

(btw Did you know it's been proven by researchers that couples who share a water-bed are more likely to drift apart?)

#23    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

This story just doesn't hold water.  Sorry.

Only my personal opinion, but I'm calling BS on this whole thing.

#24    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 25 July 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

This story just doesn't hold water.  Sorry.

Only my personal opinion, but I'm calling BS on this whole thing.

Agreed.

And this is at least the third "soaked mattress" thread in the past year or so.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#25    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,912 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

You can buy waterproof jammies, btw.  Not sure what size they go up to though.  (hope this helps)

Posted Image

#26    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

I do not have a old mattress to try thi on, but I am damn near 100% sure, if someone were to pour that much water onto a mattress, it is not going to soak through, most will run off the edges.....

Get one of these, and film this or take pictures....I am finding this hard to believe.

Aller-Ease Durable Microfiber Waterproof Mattress Cover

The Aller-Ease Durable Microfiber Waterproof Mattress Cover allows you to enjoy allergen and waterproof protection night after night. The soft and smooth construction of this bed bug proof mattress cover effectively filters common household allergens like dust mites, pet dander and pollen from your mattress. Plus, this anti-allergy mattress cover is third-party lab tested to ensure that bed bugs cannot bite through the fabric. The polyester mattress cover is made of quality material to last a long time.
Aller-Ease Durable Microfiber Waterproof Mattress Cover:
  • Protection from bed bugs, dust mites, allergens, pet dander and pollen
  • Waterproof protection from spills and stains
  • Allergist recommended
  • Specially developed for allergy and asthma sufferers
  • Backed by the Good Housekeeping seal
  • Fabric: polyester
http://www.walmart.c...tem Description

$20.00

Water coming through window/Wet mattress

Help me Hip Domestics, for I am in a little bit of a panic at the moment.

My bedroom is set up so there is a decent sized (~3-4 foot wide?) window in the outside wall.  We have our bed against the wall with the head against the window.  about ~2 weeks ago, I noticed a very wet spot by my nightstand - about a foot and a half in from the window, and about 6 inches off to the side of the window.  i couldn't figure out what it came from, I thought that it may have been a mug that I usually keep water in had spilled.  That still may have been it, I don't know for sure.

Tonight, I went to get ready for bed and notice the SAME spot is very wet again!  Investigating a bit more and I find that the entire side of my mattress, box spring, wall, and carpet is wet.   I moved the bed away from the wall, and tromped on towels to get water out of the carpet.  We've had really strong thunderstorms here tonight.  It was nice earlier, so I had the windows opened, but I closed them all when it started raining again.  There was maybe 10 minutes when the windows were open and it was raining, and none of the other rooms that have windows on the same wall had the same sort of problem.

1 - Do I have a leak in my window - or did I maybe leave the window open a slight amount without realizing it?  One of my curtains was pooled up on the window sill rather than falling in front of it, and it was soaked.  I felt around the window, and the water must have come in at the bottom because the window was not wet at all anywhere else.

2 - What can I do to salvage my box spring/mattress?  Google failed me - as it only gave me information regarding completely soaked (been through a flood) mattresses/box springs.  It's only wet on the side, but it's pretty wet on that side.  It was a cheap set, so if I have to get rid of it, so be it, but I'd really rather not if i don't have to.  And what can I do to dry out my carpet?  I'm concerned that this may cause a lovely mildew-y situation.

FYI, I live in an apartment, not a house, and I'm on the second (top) floor.

Thanks in advance everyone!

ETA: Thanks for the advice everyone - I had a fan running all last night, and the mattress seems almost completely dry now.  The box spring and our carpet is still wet. By about ~20 minutes after I posted, the whole room smelled of mildew, and there was obviously some mildew-y stuff on the walls.  We called maintenance because this was obviously something that has been leaking steadily and this latest rainstorm just brought it to light.

Our apartment maintenance came and checked things out - the leak was in the wall, not the window - they took the molding off the window, the insulation within the wall was soaked.  They're leaving the molding off and they hammered a hole in the wall in the part that seemed the worst and they're going to leave it for a few days to let it dry out.  Maintenance is going to bring a wet vac in today to get all the water out of the carpet.  The reason for the leak?  Our gutters haven't been cleaned in forever (as in, they are currently very pretty planters) and the water was overflowing and going in through the siding.  Reminder to homeowners - clean your gutters! :)

Should I be concerned about potential mildew?  They're going to patch the hole and repaint the area.  Obviously I'll be checking pretty often for smell and dampness, but I'm still a bit worried.

Edited by Sakari, 25 July 2012 - 04:53 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#27    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Posthaeson012, on 25 July 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

nope...haven't slept in the bed since. im on the couch....and it happened again...theres nothing on top of my bed as to blackets....bare mattress .... last night i put this powder subtance that absorbes liquids and becomes crumbly...well just got home at night to find majority dried out.....so i vacummed all the powder/crumb off....it got soaked again....and the door room was closed off....went to go use the bathroom and notcied it was soaked...again....we took a knife and ripped open the mattress....the yellow foam is so soaked the liquid was gushing out.....sounds like a prank....but theres no one else here to do this ****...
gee don't move the frikken bed. don't but a bucket or towel in the area to contain the water.
i think you are lying flat out.

#28    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,443 posts

• "I'm Garth Marenghi.
    Author. Dreamweaver. Visionary. Plus Actor."

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

seriously, try to record it, take a cheap camcorder or your cell phone, what have you....i'm not calling BS on that one until i saw a picture at least, so please, don't let me down here!

#29    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,611 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

I always raise one eyebrow when someone titles a thread with "not crazy" <_<

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#30    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,098 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

To help eliminate the issues I recommend the following.

1.Move your bed to another location. If Wetting continues, then use a camcorder.
2. Put a tarp on your bed and then put newspaper or very absorbant towels on top of the tarp, This will make it easier to see if the water is coming from the ceiling.
3. If this is a single story house, check up stairs, Put a tarp or bucket and check the follow day to see any water leakage. Also look for pipes.
4. Get a camcorder. Seriously this is the best option.
5. Look close to ceiling, if water leaking in, you should see discolouration or a soggy look.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users