Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What would you do differently ?

ufo question no arguing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#31    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 July 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

I doubt that your bank manager care one whit if you even have dinner with ET! He will still want his mortgage payment. As such, ET or no ET, I suspect you will still get the kids off to school, and go to work.

The world continues to turn..........

I had a close encounter with a UFO in 2002. I still need to work for money. I look around more often, and I've researched Earth Sciences probably more than I might have if the sighting hadn't happened. I discuss UFO's on UFO forum's which is something I didn't do before.

Did my life change? Yes, but only mainly in the things I spend my free time thinking about.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#32    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,238 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 July 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

Gidday Mate

I doubt that your bank manager care one whit if you even have dinner with ET! He will still want his mortgage payment. As such, ET or no ET, I suspect you will still get the kids off to school, and go to work.

The world continues to turn..........

Good to see ya mate.

Cheers.

Gidday mate,

had a few days off with the kids.....looks like there has been quite a bit going on here at UM (I always miss the good bits)..

I do really want to know though as I personally think it has a great bearing on religion, although most would not agree.

all the best
Q

View Postlost_shaman, on 25 July 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

I had a close encounter with a UFO in 2002. I still need to work for money. I look around more often, and I've researched Earth Sciences probably more than I might have if the sighting hadn't happened. I discuss UFO's on UFO forum's which is something I didn't do before.

Did my life change? Yes, but only mainly in the things I spend my free time thinking about.

what about your actual outlook on life? are you religous at all?

edit to add: and from what I recall the impact off the sighting had a bigger 'effect' on your friends that had the experience with you

Edited by quillius, 25 July 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#33    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,203 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

I agree with psyche, ET or no ET, life will still go on.

I can't help but wonder though, perhaps we're actually better off being all on our own? I've found the more 'players' the bigger the potential mess can become.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#34    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,164 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 25 July 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Now that you say that....... :devil:

Even if we found life on Mars, Titan, Europa, whatever, it does not necessarily mean ET life in it's true sense. A hypothesis called Panspermia considered that meteor impacts could cause ejecta to fly out into space, and if some life is one that, it could develop into a distant earth cousin - all very hypothetical of course, but the signature that life we may find off this earth carries would tell us if it really is alien or not.
It's a very big field!
Seriously? So that wouldn't count? Proof that life could take root even on some of the satellites of our own Solar system would not be enough to convince you that it would surely be prevalent everywhere in the universe? And mightn't it work the other way, which is also what those who suggest this theory sometimes suggest; that life could have originated here from somewhere else? Honestly, i do sometimes think that people are looking for reasons why it "wouldn't count" if life was discovered. Almost as if they're desperate for it not to be. it might be interesting to peculate on the reasons as to why this might be ...

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#35    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,164 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

* Speculate, not peculate. :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#36    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Postquillius, on 25 July 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

what about your actual outlook on life? are you religous at all?

edit to add: and from what I recall the impact off the sighting had a bigger 'effect' on your friends that had the experience with you

Hey Q,

No. It really did not have any religious impact on me. I've been highly interested in Science since I was a child. Even then, as a kid, I used to gaze at the Stars and wonder how many of them were home to Solar systems like ours and or harbored life. So even if I was looking at E.T. my questions would center around how it got here, not religious implications.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#37    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,184 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostFenderJazzBass, on 25 July 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

A new set of binoculars and telescope for starters ?[...]
Yeap. But you may consider DSLR and telephoto lens (mirror lenses are quite cheap, but quality of photos not very good).
And when you get a telescope/binoculars/DSLR you'll always have distant lights you can't identify.
On the other hand, if you (and many other people in area) will get something like that
Posted Image
call me  :rolleyes:

View PostFenderJazzBass, on 25 July 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

[...]Was it me ? Was it the place ? Did the direction the craft ascended into the sky mean anything ?

What did the spotlight i was under mean ? Was it meant to get my attention ? Was it purley to obscure my vision ?
Nope, nope, most likely small jet with wingtip lights ascending and turning lights off, nope (honestly, I think you are exaggerating blinding lights, your photo does not show it), nope, nope.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#38    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

View Postquillius, on 25 July 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

No. That's not true. They were Co-workers at the time. I think you must be thinking about the Fact that I said they were 'screaming' at me to drive away but I refused to do so at the time. Only because I was too DAMN scared to start the car with the UFO hovering right there!

#39    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,238 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

View Postlost_shaman, on 25 July 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

Hey Q,

No. It really did not have any religious impact on me. I've been highly interested in Science since I was a child. Even then, as a kid, I used to gaze at the Stars and wonder how many of them were home to Solar systems like ours and or harbored life. So even if I was looking at E.T. my questions would center around how it got here, not religious implications.

interesting. I have always had similar thoughts and my questions (in my head) have centered around how and why as opposed to IF, with regards to ET and our own life on this planet. To me its these two questions (the how and why?)  that create the religous aspect, I really struggle with life being created and maintained by science alone....but I guess thats my problem and one that wont be solved in my lifetime.

#40    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,238 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

View Postlost_shaman, on 25 July 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

No. That's not true. They were Co-workers at the time. I think you must be thinking about the Fact that I said they were 'screaming' at me to drive away but I refused to do so at the time. Only because I was too DAMN scared to start the car with the UFO hovering right there!

ok my mistake, I think I based it on more of the fact that one of them went to prison and I believe the other dropped off the radar (maybe this was just lost contact with you), I therefore assumed the impact on them was more severe, obviously a bad assumption as there may easily have been no relation to the sighting and 'going off the rails' so to speak.

#41    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,184 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

View Postbee, on 24 July 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

I wouldn't do anything differently.....
[...]
[off topic]
I just remembered  your worries about swifts (was it last year?). Just yesterday one flew right through the lab window (overshot his nest), and that little b****** crapped all over windowsill while I was trying to catch him/her...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#42    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postquillius, on 25 July 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

interesting. I have always had similar thoughts and my questions (in my head) have centered around how and why as opposed to IF, with regards to ET and our own life on this planet. To me its these two questions (the how and why?)  that create the religous aspect, I really struggle with life being created and maintained by science alone....but I guess thats my problem and one that wont be solved in my lifetime.

Science and Religion seem like polar opposites, but I've always felt like this view was a left over from the Dark Ages! How did the Universe come into existance? Why is everything that's so random just luckily just right for LIFE? These are quasi-religious questions that seem to have almost no purely Scientific answers.

#43    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,238 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

View Postlost_shaman, on 25 July 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Science and Religion seem like polar opposites, but I've always felt like this view was a left over from the Dark Ages! How did the Universe come into existance? Why is everything that's so random just luckily just right for LIFE? These are quasi-religious questions that seem to have almost no purely Scientific answers.

yes exactly!!!!

the 'how' and the 'why' , I am glad you didnt read my post on 'how' meaning just the process, as this is not what I meant.

#44    FenderJazzBass

FenderJazzBass

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• I was just brought into the cosmos.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

View Postquillius, on 25 July 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

yes exactly!!!!

the 'how' and the 'why' , I am glad you didnt read my post on 'how' meaning just the process, as this is not what I meant.

Here's my artists impression of what i saw. I just made this playing around in GIMP.

Posted Image

The world around us ? Things are not what they seem.

#45    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,238 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

sorry if you have been asked this already but did the lights get brighter prior to it taking off?

Also tagged with ufo, question, no, arguing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users